Author Topic: BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference  (Read 488236 times)

Offline Dr. Acula

• All-American
    • View Profile
Re: BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference
« Reply #3165 on: April 22, 2021, 11:48:12 am »
Interestingly Sturgill is no longer listed as a coach, but Grice is still listed as HC.  My assumption was that Grice had left, but there could be any number of reasons why Sturgill was acting HC.  Regardless, this is a disaster for the remainder of this season.  I honestly don't even know what your options are at this point.  I feel bad for the players, especially the seniors. 

Offline Dr. Acula

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: April 25, 2021, 12:16:58 pm »
Wilm swept JCU yesterday including winning the second game 17-4.   :o  Welcome to 2021!

Offline Dr. Acula

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: April 26, 2021, 12:21:11 pm »
Mount takes all 4 games from Cap with the finale being Hesse's 500th victory at Mount.  He's one of six coaches in OAC history to win 500 games.  He gets a lot of ribbing from current and former players for some of his coaching methods, but no one questions if Hesse is a good man.  He is.  He cares about his players.

On the Cap front, I was listening to the games yesterday and Scott Manahan was mentioned as the coach.  Unless there is another one running around town coaching baseball, Scott Manahan is the retired long-time HC of Bishop Watterson HS in Columbus.  You cannot ask for a better option in this scenario.  Manahan was an outstanding HS coach and only retired a couple years ago so he's not out of touch.

Offline Dr. Acula

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: May 09, 2021, 12:15:52 pm »
I wonder when the last time was that Ott has lost 9 straight?  They've had a rough season (7-17) which is very uncommon for a program that's nearly always pushing for a top 4 spot.  On the flip side, ONU has won 8 straight and with Mount sweeping BW yesterday the Bears passed BW for 3rd place currently.

The race for 4th place is going to be tight.  BW is up 1 game on Berg currently.  BW has 2 with Mount left then 4 with Musky.  Berg has 2 with Etta then 4 with Wilm.  Berg definitely has the tougher path, but they split with Etta yesterday and the game they lost they lost in 11 innings so they're playing well right now.

Offline rockinandyr

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: May 13, 2021, 02:43:44 pm »
OAC changed the tournament format this year...

Day 1:
#6 at #3 (single game)
#5 at #4 (single game)

Day 2:
Lowest remaining seed at #1 (single game)
Highest remaining seed at #2 (single game)

Day 3:
Remaining teams at higher seed (DH)

Day 4 (if necessary):
Remaining teams at higher seed (winner take all game)

Offline Dr. Acula

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: May 20, 2021, 10:37:47 am »
Welcome aboard, rockinandyr.  +k to get you going.

I'm kind of split on that format.  On one hand, I think with as deep as the OAC is with quality teams you almost need 6 teams in.  Plus it rewards the top 2 seeds for a strong regular season.  But on the other hand when you only take 4 it makes even making the OAC tourney a big deal.  Making the conference tourney in a lot of conferences isn't big.  In the OAC making it means you are legit. 

In the end I think I like the 6 team format and yesterday proved the point with the 5 and 6 seeds both winning.  I think Etta will dispatch JCU today, but Berg and Mount will be a battle.

Offline Pops33

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: May 21, 2021, 01:19:09 pm »
I am not a fan of the single game elimination style tournament when the NCAA has had a double elimination bracket for as long as I can remember.  Both Mount and Marietta proved that they were the best two teams in the league this year and they made the finals so it worked out.  In a single game, one pitcher can get hot and dominate a better team.  The double elimination format forces a team to have the depth that the postseason regularly requires.  I understand this year is different and am glad the OAC included 6 teams, just wish I liked the format better.  Definitely happy that the championship is best of 3.

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
  • Managing Editor, D3baseball.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: May 23, 2021, 05:53:40 pm »
I expect them to scrape it next year

I am not a fan of the single game elimination style tournament when the NCAA has had a double elimination bracket for as long as I can remember.  Both Mount and Marietta proved that they were the best two teams in the league this year and they made the finals so it worked out.  In a single game, one pitcher can get hot and dominate a better team.  The double elimination format forces a team to have the depth that the postseason regularly requires.  I understand this year is different and am glad the OAC included 6 teams, just wish I liked the format better.  Definitely happy that the championship is best of 3.

Offline Dr. Acula

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: June 01, 2021, 09:43:32 am »
Mount Union had three of their four SP make All-OAC:

1st team:  Gallant, Davis
2nd team:  Sumler

I'm going to guess that has never happened in Mount history.  Congrats to the entire staff on a great year.

Offline Dr. Acula

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: August 17, 2021, 11:18:18 am »
Just saw that former Berg HC and current AD Matt Palm has been hired to be HC and Asst. AD at Findlay.  Good to see Palm getting back in the dugout.