Author Topic: BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference  (Read 857729 times)

Offline BDB

• All-American
    • View Profile
Re: BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
« Reply #5835 on: December 07, 2019, 10:33:58 am »
This explains all the success at UW-Stout.

And no recruiting competition from UW-River Falls and previously UW-Eau Claire in the area. And as far as a coach with Minnesota connections there was a Gardenhire as head coach for some years. I have never understood the lack of success.

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #5836 on: December 09, 2019, 12:00:31 pm »

And no recruiting competition from UW-River Falls and previously UW-Eau Claire in the area. And as far as a coach with Minnesota connections there was a Gardenhire as head coach for some years. I have never understood the lack of success.

Agree 100%. No ideas why Stout didn't scoop up ALL of the local talent and venture into the Twin Cities once in a while.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
  • Managing Editor, D3baseball.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: December 09, 2019, 12:38:52 pm »
I am curious to see if UWEC hires a coach with connections to the Twin Cities... could be a recruiting gold mine for them with the right coach. They would be a able to pull from a huge metropolitan area that is about two hours away.

On a different subject, does Wisconsin and Minnesota have a tuition sharing program where you can get in-state tuition from the neighboring state?

Yes, for a long time.  A few years back Minnesota had issues with it but they worked it out and it's continued. Some Wisconsin schools also have it with Illinois.  That isn't a system wide thing though.  Also I believe Platteville has some sort of arrangement with Iowa focused on engineering students.   

Alaska is part of a west coast arrangement where out of state tuition is waived for several NW states.

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #5838 on: January 06, 2020, 08:23:39 am »
Question: If UW-Eau Claire has yet to name a baseball coach for the return of the sport in 2021, how can the school recruit players (who should be making their college choices in the next few months) so they can start to build a roster of student-athletes for the fall of 2020?

An honest observation. Or did they name one and I have just yet to see it somewhere?

Offline badgerwarhawk

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: January 06, 2020, 09:18:20 pm »
Question: If UW-Eau Claire has yet to name a baseball coach for the return of the sport in 2021, how can the school recruit players (who should be making their college choices in the next few months) so they can start to build a roster of student-athletes for the fall of 2020?

An honest observation. Or did they name one and I have just yet to see it somewhere?

Their press release issued last October indicated they would begin the process of hiring "immediately."  As a state school they would have had to post the job for 30 days so that period has come and gone.  But like yourself I have yet to see or hear anything.

Just speaking for myself I don't think I'd want to come to a school a year in advance to when I would begin playing.  Wouldn't it commit you to a fifth year (at your expense) if you wanted to use the four years of eligibility you have coming?  Waiting a year when I could be playing somewhere else would be bad enough but the extra financial burden would be enough to turn me away. 
If you try to fail and succeed which have you done?

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #5840 on: January 07, 2020, 10:48:34 am »
Unless I am wrong, they are scheduled to begin play in Spring of 2021... that would be next year... meaning they need to get those kids on campus for the fall of 2020. They are going to be way behind in terms of recruiting unless their new coach (whenever named) can hit the ground running and pull in some JuCo talent right away to compete in the WIAC.

The expansion of UW-Eau Claire's athletics teams will include the reinstatement of men's baseball (which was discontinued in 1995) and the addition of women's lacrosse in the spring 2021 season, as well as the addition of men's soccer in the fall 2021 season.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 12:35:11 pm by BigPoppa »

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #5841 on: January 15, 2020, 09:54:11 am »
A well-placed source of mine informs me that UWEC will announce the new head coach to lead the resurrection of BluGold baseball in the next week or two.