Author Topic: GNAC Women's Hoop.  (Read 58836 times)

Offline deiscanton

• All-Region
    • View Profile
Re: GNAC Women's Hoop.
« Reply #240 on: March 02, 2013, 01:05:32 pm »
My thoughts on last night's game--

Emmanuel had probably the best ball control of an NCAA tournament game that the Saints had ever played.   Usually, the Emmanuel system doesn't mind if the Saints turn the ball over 20 times, as long as the opponent turns it over 35 times.   However, in the game vs Rochester, Emmanuel only turned the ball over 9 times.   Usually, that is enough to win an NCAA tournament game and advance to the next round, but last night, the result did not come.

Although the result last night was not what Emmanuel had hoped for, the game itself could not have been any better played.  I was very proud of the effort and passion of both Emmanuel and Rochester in playing this contest.   It was unfortunate that the NCAA bean-counters and women's selection committee had to schedule this game as a first round match, but the insistence on not scheduling a lot of plane flights to make a more competitive bracket in DIII means that games normally that should wait for later in the tournament have to be played early under geographic proximity and regional ranking results.   

Emmanuel's game plan was the game plan I wanted the Saints to execute.   Emmanuel did a good job holding the star sophomore players Ally Zywicki and Breanna Madrazo in check.   I knew that Rochester's #42 Loren Wagner was a great player, and normally Loren Wagner is not thought of as a 20+ ppg player, but if Wagner had not played the game of her life last night, the Saints would have played Williams today in round 2.  Wagner did not have a 20+ ppg game in her college career until last night.  Of all of Rochester's best 7 players to take over the game in the last 5 minutes, Wagner would definitely not have been my first pick.  I would have gone with the sophomores, Jackie Walker, or Amy Woods for my first 4 picks before Loren Wagner, but in the NCAAs-- anything can happen.   In her 24 pt game last night, Loren Wagner of Rochester scored 11 of her team's final 13 pts in the last 5 minutes.

Emmanuel is now 2-2 vs UAA teams in the NCAA DIII tournament counting the famous 2000-2001 season.

Although Emmanuel had played Rochester twice in the past, last night's contest was the first between the two sides played in the Palestra in Rochester, NY, and the first time that Coaches Andy Yosinoff and Jim Scheible have squared off.  Prior to last night, the last meeting between Emmanuel and Rochester took place in the early 1990s.

This year's Emmanuel team, had they competed in the UAA, could have gotten at least 8 wins in league play over the course of the season.   Had Rochester played Emmanuel on their conference road trip to New York and Boston, I strongly believe that the Saints would have won the game in the Jean Yawkey Center by at least 20 to 25 points-- as Rochester was really tired after their OT victory at NYU on that weekend.

In other GNAC news--

Suffolk is in Castleton, VT to play their 3 PM Eastern semifinal vs Wellesley today, with the winner playing the winner of Castleton vs Westfield State tomorrow for the ECAC New England title.  If the Rams win the ECAC New England title, I believe that it would be the first in their program history.

PS-- Andy Yosinoff was quoted as saying that last night's game was the best NCAA tournament game that he has ever coached and been in.   This certainly was the best first round game that the Saints have ever played-- that I can agree. 

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 01:40:01 pm by deiscanton »

Offline gordonmann

• D3sports.com Guru
  • All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 16, 2013, 04:03:50 pm »
We've released our list of All-Americans. Congratulations to Fiona O'Dwyer

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2013/03/womens-all-americans

Offline remsleep

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 09, 2013, 12:14:37 pm »
Love to hear about coaching change rumors. Let's dig and find out!

Offline deiscanton

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 23, 2015, 04:50:11 pm »
Sorry that I have not posted in a while...

Another GNAC tournament starts tomorrow.

Last year,  Emmanuel lost in the first round of the GNAC tournament for the first time in school history.  #8 seed Norwich knocked off the Saints in overtime last year, and the following week in the ECAC tournament, Brandeis ended Emmanuel's season.  Emmanuel was the #1 seed for the ECAC tournament last year as well.

Tomorrow, Olivia Bolden, the top candidate for GNAC Rookie of the Year, will try to lead her Albertus Magnus Falcons to knock off the Saints in the Jean Yawkey Center.  I don't expect that to happen tomorrow, but I did not expect Norwich to win last year either. 

Emmanuel only beat Albertus Magnus by 12 pts in the regular season, but the Saints have won every GNAC game by at least 15 pts since the 2 pt win at Norwich.  Norwich is the #2 seed in the GNAC tournament this year, so Saturday would be the earliest time that Sarah Higgins, Vanessa Bramante, Jen Bujnowski,  Devin Rauh and the rest of the Emmanuel Saints would square off against Heather LeBlanc, Aliah Curry, and the rest of the Norwich Cadets.  If that game takes place on Saturday, it will be a barn-burner.

St Joe's Maine, the defending GNAC champion, has to go to Providence, RI tomorrow to take on Johnson & Wales.  Game could go either way.

To me, Suffolk looks to be a favorite in the underground Regan Gym tomorrow against Deanna Purcell and the Rivier Raiders.

Emmanuel is looking for redemption this season in what should be an excellent GNAC tournament.  I will probably be following the early games on line due to the state of the MBTA Commuter Rail system.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:14:39 am by deiscanton »

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #244 on: February 23, 2015, 06:59:22 pm »
So glad to see you back here!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline 7express

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 23, 2015, 07:50:09 pm »
Good to hear from you Deis!  I agree, Emmanuel should definitely be the team to beat.
Twitter: twitter.com/maxl100
http://maxdavidlyonssports.blogspot.com/

Offline deiscanton

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 28, 2015, 08:03:57 pm »
I got to attend the GNAC women's championship game today.

Congrats to the Johnson & Wales Wildcats on going dancing in the NCAAs for the first time.  The Wildcats certainly earned their bid this week with road victories at Norwich and Emmanuel.

JWU is a young team, but Coach Boilard will have them ready for the spotlight on Friday.