General > What sport should we add boards for?

What Division III sport should we add a board for next?

(1/77) > >>

Pat Coleman:
It's always possible we could add message boards for more sports (though it's not possible to create entirely new sites to cover these sports). If you could pick one sport for us to add, what would it be?

joehakes:
Pat,

Having been in New England for six years, but also taking a look around the country, I think that lacrosse will be the "next big thing" in college sports.  This may be especially true in small college athletics.

The sport is fast, has contact, and keeps going.  The men's and women's games are quite different, but both involve a set of skills that is challenging and entertaining.  It is also a numbers sport with a smaller financial investment than football. 

The only caution that I would give you about adding a lax board is that the lacrosse community is a pretty well established, and large tribe that already has a number of web discussion opportunities.  But one specfic to DIII may be good.

the_cru:
I am from Maryland and now live in New England.  Maryland rules the sport of Lax, and it is really a great sport.  More and more people are getting involved in it, and I dont think it will be long til everyone in New England has a Lacrosse stick.

Warren Thompson:

--- Quote from: joehakes on January 30, 2006, 07:44:02 am ---The only caution that I would give you about adding a lax board is that the lacrosse community is a pretty well established, and large tribe that already has a number of web discussion opportunities.  But one specfic to DIII may be good.

--- End quote ---

Good points, Joe, especially the one I highlighted.

One possible additional caveat: D3 varsity lacrosse is pretty much limited to an area from Ohio to New England and to the southeastern states. Thus, there may not be much national interest in D3LAX.com.

On the other hand, at the club level, it's played by a number of MIAC venues. In Texas, there's a club league, a mixture of D3 and D1 institutions. I believe there's also something similar in California.

Overall, the sport is burgeoning at all levels. It's not as expensive as football,* nor do players have to be behemoths to compete well.

* E.g., in the MAC, a number of non-football members have taken it up in recent years: Messiah, Elizabethtown, DeSales.

Jacketlawyer:
I have advocated lacrosse before, and do so now again.  131 DIII colleges have teams.  It's true that it's mostly an East Coast sport, but it is growing.  At least four more DIII schools plan on adding a varsity team within the next year or so.

I would love to see a site added only for DIII lax.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version