Author Topic: MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference  (Read 460681 times)

Offline raiderpa

• All-Region
    • View Profile
Re: MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference
« Reply #2715 on: March 21, 2020, 09:08:05 pm »
Congratulations to Devontae Friga, Mount Union guard.  He reports that he has three offers to play professional basketball.  Two in Australia and one in Spain. 
I imagine Nathan Bower-Malone may also get a offer or two of this nature.  There are quite a few DIII players who have played successfully in both Europe and Australia.

Offline Dr. Acula

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: April 05, 2020, 01:22:53 pm »
According to his twitter account (and the Canton Rep) GlenOak's Christian Parker is going to Mount.  This is a big get for Fuline and a continuation of his ability to bring in high level talent.  Parker was being recruited by both the local D2 programs so landing him over a quality D2 like Walsh is a big win. 

Parker's list of accolades is impressive:  Federal League POY, District POY, 2nd team All-Ohio in D1.  He's a 6'5" forward who averaged 18.6 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 2 bpg, 2 apg while shooting 54% from the field and 35% from 3.  I'm excited because this is a kid that's going to play right away and help.

Offline Onward on, John Carroll

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: April 16, 2020, 08:55:39 am »
Just curious . . . what does a typical OAC coach get paid?  $75K/$80K?  WHo is the highest paid - Vanderwaal down at Etta?  What do you think he makes?

Offline Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: April 16, 2020, 09:37:14 am »

You can check coach salaries for public schools; it's very tough to get info from privates.  Plus, a lot of coaches are doing camps over the summer that brings in extra income, as well (although a lot of those at the d3 level really are more for assistants to earn some extra cash than the HC).  I don't have inside information on the OAC, but I suspect some are definitely making less than your estimate there.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Offline Dr. Acula

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: April 16, 2020, 02:46:02 pm »
Just curious . . . what does a typical OAC coach get paid?  $75K/$80K?  WHo is the highest paid - Vanderwaal down at Etta?  What do you think he makes?

I would have guessed more like $50-60k with the highest paid being closer to 65-70k maybe.  Total guess though.  I have no inside info.  I just know that a few years ago there were still OAC head baseball coaches making under $40k.  The other thing most of the coaches do is teach a course or two so that'd throw a few grand more at them.  I agree with Ryan Scott too.  The camp money is more for the assistants who make little for their coaching pay.  That's why Mount has supplemented assistant coaches in the past by providing free housing, free meal plan, etc.  Those guys log tons of hours for very little pay. 

Offline Dr. Acula

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: April 16, 2020, 03:06:46 pm »
Some more good recruiting news out of the EBC the last couple of days.  Carrollton's Adam Chaney and Marlington's Andrew Pucci are both going to Mount.  They're 6'4" and 6'3" guards, respectively.  It's a continuation of Fuline's strategy of recruiting long, athletic kids that are versatile.  The game at BW the BW radio guy mentioned that Mount just comes at you in waves with athletes and it's hard to keep pace for 40 minutes.  The 3 local kids coming are restocking that depth.

Chaney:  17.6 ppg, 9 rpg 3.6 apg. Conference POY, All-Ohio x 2 in DII.

Pucci:  3 sport kid.  Lead the county in scoring at 20.2 ppg.  Added 7 rpg, 3.3 apg, 2.1 bpg, 2.1 spg.  District Co-POY.  Also 1st team All-Conference and 2nd team All-District as a WR in football.  Considered going to Malone to play baseball.   

Offline Fifth and Putnam

• Starter
    • View Profile
    • This Week in Great Lakes Basketball
« Reply #2721 on: April 16, 2020, 06:48:25 pm »
Some more good recruiting news out of the EBC the last couple of days.  Carrollton's Adam Chaney and Marlington's Andrew Pucci are both going to Mount.  They're 6'4" and 6'3" guards, respectively.  It's a continuation of Fuline's strategy of recruiting long, athletic kids that are versatile.  The game at BW the BW radio guy mentioned that Mount just comes at you in waves with athletes and it's hard to keep pace for 40 minutes.  The 3 local kids coming are restocking that depth.

Chaney:  17.6 ppg, 9 rpg 3.6 apg. Conference POY, All-Ohio x 2 in DII.

Pucci:  3 sport kid.  Lead the county in scoring at 20.2 ppg.  Added 7 rpg, 3.3 apg, 2.1 bpg, 2.1 spg.  District Co-POY.  Also 1st team All-Conference and 2nd team All-District as a WR in football.  Considered going to Malone to play baseball.

Mount Union and Marietta have both had fantastic recruiting classes this year. The rich get richer.

Offline Dr. Acula

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: April 18, 2020, 07:16:09 pm »
You said it! 

I totally missed this too.  All-NCAC OWU wing Ethan Stanislawski is transferring to Mount.  He was 2nd team All-NCAC as a freshman and sophomore.  He was also D3.com GL region Newcomer of the yr.  The connection as usual is that Ethan is a product of Fuline's former program at Jackson HS.