Author Topic: BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin  (Read 1016477 times)

Offline jigsaw54

  • Second-stringer
  • **
  • Posts: 37
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #4005 on: May 13, 2011, 07:40:45 pm »
6-5  ;D
Mess with the Best Die like the Rest.

Offline Mr. Ypsi

  • All-American
  • ******
  • Posts: 22590
  • Karma: +3415/-3376
    • View Profile
Re: BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #4006 on: May 13, 2011, 07:44:56 pm »
Now 6-5 NCC after 5.5 innings.  Giving up a single and double before he got an out, I figured national pitcher-of-the-week Joe Sweeney couldn't escape totally unscathed, but he balked one run in, then gave up two more hits.  He looked VERY strong from the 3rd thru the 5th, but he may be nearly out of gas.  (Or maybe it was just one of those innings?! ::))

I think IWU is probably a Pool C even if they lose, but if they can't come back I will be VERY nervous on selection day.

Offline Mr. Ypsi

  • All-American
  • ******
  • Posts: 22590
  • Karma: +3415/-3376
    • View Profile
Re: BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #4007 on: May 13, 2011, 07:59:59 pm »
Save only for bottom of the ninth in a tie game, I do NOT understand the strategy of a sacrifice bunt!  If anyone wishes to study the matter, I'm willing to bet it backfires 90% of the time.  Barring a miracle, it adds an out.  It therefore drastically reduces the likelihood of a big inning.  And I'd be willing to bet that 10% of the time it results in a pop-up, which likely means a double-play!

In the earlier game, Martel had Nathan do it, which simply took the bat out of Callahan's hands (the livestats did not call it an intentional walk, but I'd bet it was at least semi-intentional).  Now he has (lately red-hot) Hopp do it, with no net result.

Offline Mr. Ypsi

  • All-American
  • ******
  • Posts: 22590
  • Karma: +3415/-3376
    • View Profile
Re: BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #4008 on: May 13, 2011, 08:05:25 pm »
Since Dennis Martel has won far more games than I, I'll drop the diatribe.  In the top of the 7th, Hagensee led off with a double, which meant the showers for Joe Sweeney.  He later scored on a Highland double.  No further damage: 7-5 NCC after 6.5 innings.  Kopp is now pitching for IWU.

Offline Mr. Ypsi

  • All-American
  • ******
  • Posts: 22590
  • Karma: +3415/-3376
    • View Profile
Re: BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #4009 on: May 13, 2011, 08:47:13 pm »
Had to go pick up my son from work, but I'm back.  Going to the bottom of the 9th with NCC still up 7-5.  IWU has the middle of the order, with Callahan leading off.

Offline Mr. Ypsi

  • All-American
  • ******
  • Posts: 22590
  • Karma: +3415/-3376
    • View Profile
Re: BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #4010 on: May 13, 2011, 08:51:40 pm »
BTW, Justin Verlander missed out on his Johnny Vander Meer opportunity, too, but he no-hit the Royals for 5.2 innings! ;D

Offline Mr. Ypsi

  • All-American
  • ******
  • Posts: 22590
  • Karma: +3415/-3376
    • View Profile
Re: BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #4011 on: May 13, 2011, 09:33:34 pm »
Callahan gets a single (he's 3-4, including a HR); Czarnowski walked; McDermott did a sacrifice bunt (aarrgh?!, we'll see ;)).  Runners at 2nd and 3rd, 1-out.  PH struck out - now 2 outs.

Offline Mr. Ypsi

  • All-American
  • ******
  • Posts: 22590
  • Karma: +3415/-3376
    • View Profile
Re: BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #4012 on: May 13, 2011, 09:36:03 pm »
Grodecki struck out to end it: NCC 7, IWU 5.

I'm fairly confident of a Pool C bid, but a bit nervous.

Offline BigPoppa

  • All-American
  • ******
  • Posts: 4616
  • Karma: +287/-85
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
Re: BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #4013 on: May 13, 2011, 11:07:44 pm »
I see Carthage maybe landing at the #2 slot if they can win it and IWU sliding to maybe the #3/4 slot. I think they are safe for a bid.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Offline mr_b

  • All-Region
  • *****
  • Posts: 1170
  • Karma: +118/-31
    • View Profile
Re: BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #4014 on: May 13, 2011, 11:11:01 pm »
I see Carthage maybe landing at the #2 slot if they can win it and IWU sliding to maybe the #3/4 slot. I think they are safe for a bid.
What other teams do you seeing getting a bid?

Offline BigPoppa

  • All-American
  • ******
  • Posts: 4616
  • Karma: +287/-85
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
Re: BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #4015 on: May 13, 2011, 11:23:38 pm »
Still a lot of baseball to go this weekend, but here is what I expect to see:

1. Coe- IIAC Pool A
2. Carthage- CCIW Pool A
3. IWU- CCIW Pool C
4. (This is the tough one... Maybe Buena Vista, but they were terrible this weekend. I think a team may get shipped in from outside the region here.)
5. Webster- SLIAC Pool A
6.  Beloit- MWC Pool A


I think NPU, WashU, NCC, Augustana, and possibly Buena Vista get left out.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:26:39 am by BigPoppa »
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Offline Mr. Ypsi

  • All-American
  • ******
  • Posts: 22590
  • Karma: +3415/-3376
    • View Profile
Re: BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #4016 on: May 13, 2011, 11:41:41 pm »
Callahan gets a single (he's 3-4, including a HR); Czarnowski walked; McDermott did a sacrifice bunt (aarrgh?!, we'll see ;)).  Runners at 2nd and 3rd, 1-out.  PH struck out - now 2 outs.

Back to the rant. ;)  McDermott had a gazillion RBIs in the first game (well, 3 anyway ;)), and you're giving him an almost automatic out??  To put only the tying runs in scoring position??

True, he might hit into a double play (maybe even a triple play :(), and he may or may not advance the runners on the likely out, but there is also probably at least a one in three chance he will get a hit (with PRs on both first and second, even a single probably means a run and men on first and third WITH NO ONE OUT).

I am convinced that (with rare exceptions) sacrifice bunts are a losing strategy.

Anyone with more baseball experience than I have wanna chime in on this one?  (Though 'received wisdom' in baseball goes for the sacrifice, maybe I should ask for a non-baseball statistician to check into it! :D)

Offline izzy stradlin

  • Starter
  • ***
  • Posts: 576
  • Karma: +85/-68
    • View Profile
Re: BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #4017 on: May 14, 2011, 01:31:09 am »
Callahan gets a single (he's 3-4, including a HR); Czarnowski walked; McDermott did a sacrifice bunt (aarrgh?!, we'll see ;)).  Runners at 2nd and 3rd, 1-out.  PH struck out - now 2 outs.

Back to the rant. ;)  McDermott had a gazillion RBIs in the first game (well, 3 anyway ;)), and you're giving him an almost automatic out??  To put only the tying runs in scoring position??

True, he might hit into a double play (maybe even a triple play :(), and he may or may not advance the runners on the likely out, but there is also probably at least a one in three chance he will get a hit (with PRs on both first and second, even a single probably means a run and men on first and third WITH NO ONE OUT).

I am convinced that (with rare exceptions) sacrifice bunts are a losing strategy.

Anyone with more baseball experience than I have wanna chime in on this one?  (Though 'received wisdom' in baseball goes for the sacrifice, maybe I should ask for a non-baseball statistician to check into it! :D)

Ypsi, you are 100% correct.  Bunting is a huge pet peeve of mine.  The key to scoring in sports is opportunity/possession.  Baseball is a game of outs, and with the exception of only a few situations (playing for only 1 run, many NL pitchers etc.), it is wrong to give away outs.  Coaches who adopt "received wisdom" of frequent sacrifice bunting are putting their teams at a significant disadvantage. 

Offline RedmanFan35

  • Second-stringer
  • **
  • Posts: 97
  • Karma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #4018 on: May 14, 2011, 11:18:30 am »
Really looking forward to this NCC - Carthage matchup today. Arenson and Rohe should be a real nice pitching matchup. The Redmen are extremely confident and I promise the Seniors have all reminded everyone what happened last year with IWU. It's nice to know you have to win one to take the tournament, but need I say more than, Remember The Titans. I'm not exactly sure what NCC's pitching depth looks like but I know if needed, Perez, Pucher, Johansen, Lochen, Wilhelms and Arenson are ready to go. I really like our chances :D

On a personal note : I wish I could be there to see which side John Arenson is hanging out on !!
Nate Arenson SR NCC, Andrew Arenson FR Carthage. Hilarious !!!

He has to be proud ;D

Offline mwunder

  • Starter
  • ***
  • Posts: 681
  • Karma: +59/-30
    • View Profile
Re: BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #4019 on: May 14, 2011, 01:10:27 pm »
Really looking forward to this NCC - Carthage matchup today. Arenson and Rohe should be a real nice pitching matchup.

Nate Arenson threw 9 innings yesterday n the North Park game.  There's no way he starts today against the Red Men.