Author Topic: BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin  (Read 827033 times)

Offline duckfan41

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #6435 on: February 11, 2019, 09:57:53 am »
Any CCIW predictions????? Here is how I see it shaking out:

1. NCC
2. Carthage
3. Augustana
4. IWU
5. Wheaton
6. NPU
7. Carroll
8. Elmhurst
9. Millikin

Is the CCIW post-season a four-team affair or has it expanded to six? I see the CCIW as a two-bid conference this year with NCC and Carthage earning NCAA bids.

Other thoughts?

CCIW Tourney field is expanded to 6 starting this year! I also feel like Wheaton is going to be better this year IF they can keep the injury bug from attacking them again. Last year was pretty ridiculous. Im pretty sure NCC lost the bat of Wicz (no idea how to spell his name) to graduation along with Martha who got drafted. If so, they lost their two biggest bats and Id be interested to see where their offenseive production will come from. Otherwise I think your prediction on the standings is pretty accurate for the most part.

Baseball is always a weird season and I feel like someone is going to surprise us. Just a question of which someone thatll be. Last year it was North Park!

Online Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #6436 on: February 11, 2019, 12:49:39 pm »

1. NCC
2. Carthage
3. Augustana
4. IWU
5. Wheaton
6. NPU
7. Carroll
8. Elmhurst
9. Millikin

Is the CCIW post-season a four-team affair or has it expanded to six? I see the CCIW as a two-bid conference this year with NCC and Carthage earning NCAA bids.

Other thoughts?

Wow, you're really down on NPU, aren't you, BP?

Barring injury, this is going to be the best Vikings pitching staff since the glory days of what I used to call "the Spaghetti Staff" of Mike Giovenco, Pete Sparacino, and Nick Soldano back at the beginning of the decade. Starting pitching should be the team's strongest aspect. The day-to-day lineup among the position players ought to be solid, with an extra premium on speed now that NPU has a healthy Jared Cantu back at the top of the order and roaming the outfield with the likewise speedy Niko Buck. The middle of the order will be anchored by one of the best hitters in the region in Cullen Gilbertson. And I know that Luke Johnson is really excited about being able to pencil in Augustana transfer Jake Reinhardt on the lineup card every day, and transfer 3b Ranko Stevanovic (Triton) created a lot of buzz in fall practice with his power.

I think that you're selling NPU short.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.. -- John Wooden

Offline lmitzel

• Starter
  • PA Voice of North Central Basketball
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Sportscaster
« Reply #6437 on: February 13, 2019, 11:24:19 am »
Happy coaches' poll day!

North Central is your pick to win with 60 points and 5 first place votes. Carthage in second with 56 and 2, Augie in 3rd with 47 and 1. Wheaton has the remaining first place vote and is picked to finish 6th.

Online Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #6438 on: February 13, 2019, 12:14:02 pm »
NPU is going to have its work cut out for it in Friday's opener against Huntingdon down in Montgomery. The Hawks are already 3-0 and have outscored their opponents by a 16-1 margin. Hawks pitchers have held opposing batters to a .198 BA and have struck out 26 batters in 27 innings. The guy whom I suspect will be on the mound against the Vikings threw a three-hit complete-game shutout in Huntingdon's opener, striking out eight without allowing a walk.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.. -- John Wooden

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #6439 on: February 13, 2019, 12:51:21 pm »

1. NCC
2. Carthage
3. Augustana
4. IWU
5. Wheaton
6. NPU
7. Carroll
8. Elmhurst
9. Millikin

Other thoughts?

Wow, you're really down on NPU, aren't you, BP?

Barring injury, this is going to be the best Vikings pitching staff since the glory days of what I used to call "the Spaghetti Staff" of Mike Giovenco, Pete Sparacino, and Nick Soldano back at the beginning of the decade. Starting pitching should be the team's strongest aspect. The day-to-day lineup among the position players ought to be solid, with an extra premium on speed now that NPU has a healthy Jared Cantu back at the top of the order and roaming the outfield with the likewise speedy Niko Buck. The middle of the order will be anchored by one of the best hitters in the region in Cullen Gilbertson. And I know that Luke Johnson is really excited about being able to pencil in Augustana transfer Jake Reinhardt on the lineup card every day, and transfer 3b Ranko Stevanovic (Triton) created a lot of buzz in fall practice with his power.

I think that you're selling NPU short.
I may be selling them short but my predictions are eeirly close to the CCIW COaches' Poll... with just NPU and Wheaton flipped in the 5/6 slots... top four were correct.

By the way... that NPU staff was loaded! And the insane ability for that offense to draw HBPs!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 09:31:07 am by BigPoppa »
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Online Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #6440 on: February 15, 2019, 11:24:56 pm »
Not a very auspicious opening day to 2019 for the Vikings. They were hammered in the early game by preseason #2 UW-Whitewater, 13-1, and blew an early lead in the second game that eventually got away from them, as Huntingdon cruised to a 16-3 win.

Fortunately, the very early start to this season gives them time to get their act together. Tomorrow they play Spaulding -- which actually knocked off UWW today -- before coming home to NPU.