Author Topic: MBB: NESCAC  (Read 3863675 times)

Online SpringSt7

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
Re: MBB: NESCAC
« Reply #26925 on: November 17, 2019, 01:50:09 pm »
Early overreactions from an opening 2-0 weekend for the new look Ephs:

-While Worcester St and SUNY Poly were far from being good or even competent offensive teams, holding them to 51 and 48 points respectively (numbers which would have been lower had it not been for garbage time and emptying the bench) is always good to see, especially for a young team. The defense has a ton to work on--far too many driving lanes, poor closeouts on shooters caused by jumping for steals, and communicating on switches--but the sheer talent and athleticism they have gives them so much room for error.

-6 different players in double digits over the course of the weekend, with just Karpowicz crossing the 10 point threshold each night was nice to see. The top of the line talent will not be what it has been the last few years, but they are deeper this year when it comes to who is capable of putting the ball in the hoop. I expect that some sort of Karpowicz, Spivy, Jones, and Prowitt-Smith will develop as their 4 main options, but nice nights from Feinberg and Babek will continue to be needed as they continue to try and replace three 1000 point scorers.

-Prowitt-Smith was electric for Williams on Saturday--22 points off of the bench on 9-10 shooting after just 2 points in his college debut. It is not an overreaction to say that Williams has not had anyone in years that can score the ball in the variety of ways that he can--hit a few deep, deep threes, a step back fallaway jumper in the lane, and some eyepopping drives and finishes at the rim. His development and hopefully consistent production will be as big of a factor for this team as any if they hope to reach the heights of the past three years.

-The top notch shooting of Casey and Heskett may not be replaced this year, but the Ephs look to have more guys capable of knocking down shots this year. Spivy seems capable of being the only true 40% guy on their team (perhaps Babek too but a much less dynamic shooter and will take less as well), despite going a shocking 2-17 from deep over the course of the weekend I imagine that will sort itself out as he settles in, but they will have significantly less liabilities and more spacing this year. With the ball in Casey's hands so much last year, and Feinberg and Scadlock not giving teams much to worry about shooting the ball, the lanes were clogged and it ultimately was what ended their season last year against Christopher Newport. Between Prowitt-Smith, Spivy, Babek, as well as the additions of freshmen Alex Stoddard and Nate Karren, it should not be an issue. Karren is especially exciting, as his ability to stretch the floor from the center position will be a great wrinkle to add in, giving the defense a different look when he checks in for Karpowicz.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 01:56:48 pm by SpringSt7 »

Offline Colby Hoops

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26926 on: November 17, 2019, 02:38:50 pm »
Colby putting it on Anna Maria in the first half today (again no stream at Conn, so just going on the live stats). 57 points on 13 of 20 three point shooting. Sam Jefferson with 27 POINTS in the first half. Alex Dorion hasn't missed and is currently 10-13 from deep on the season. Mules lead by 23.

Tufts-Colby might be in the 120s this year, and I'm only half joking.

Offline Colby Hoops

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26927 on: November 17, 2019, 02:50:57 pm »
While it's tough to tell much on one view, Gilmour appeared to show deeper range, more arc, and more consistency on his threes.  He did get into some trouble with TOs and charging fouls.  He's very aggressive, of course.  But the team chemistry and the trust will come and that will help him reduce TOs - better spacing, locating the player whose man doubled, taking advantage of kick-outs, spotting defensive rotations, etc. 

It was certainly encouraging to see them win without Denloye, without much from Lutz (had one big 4-point play), and with Gilmour on the bench during their comeback.  There's plenty to build upon from here.

Did not get a chance to watch the Hamilton game but one thing that stands out in the box score is that Gilmour scored 27 points on only 12 shots - that’s remarkable efficiency.

I'm bullish on Hamilton -- Gilmour is one of the very best players in the country, and I think there is enough depth and talent to fill out a solid squad around him.

Offline Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #26928 on: November 17, 2019, 05:01:35 pm »
While it's tough to tell much on one view, Gilmour appeared to show deeper range, more arc, and more consistency on his threes.  He did get into some trouble with TOs and charging fouls.  He's very aggressive, of course.  But the team chemistry and the trust will come and that will help him reduce TOs - better spacing, locating the player whose man doubled, taking advantage of kick-outs, spotting defensive rotations, etc. 

It was certainly encouraging to see them win without Denloye, without much from Lutz (had one big 4-point play), and with Gilmour on the bench during their comeback.  There's plenty to build upon from here.

Did not get a chance to watch the Hamilton game but one thing that stands out in the box score is that Gilmour scored 27 points on only 12 shots - that’s remarkable efficiency.

I'm bullish on Hamilton -- Gilmour is one of the very best players in the country, and I think there is enough depth and talent to fill out a solid squad around him.

I voted for them Top 25 and will continue to unless things change.  They lost a lot, but they brought in a terrific recruiting class that will fill holes in the right places.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Offline nescac1

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #26929 on: November 17, 2019, 06:29:18 pm »
Nkosi Cooper is going to be nasty.  Not sure if he can shoot from outside (no threes attempted so far), but the only guys in the league who are MAYBE as fast with the ball in their hands in the open floor are Farrell and Robinson.  Really electric but also under control.  Williams and Hamilton both seem to have loaded frosh classes, badly needed in light of who graduated.

Impressed by Colby and Hamilton this weekend.  1-6 (at least) NESCAC is going to be very tough this weekend.  And all of those teams play with a ton of pace.  It may be a wild year of high scoring affairs. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 06:31:59 pm by nescac1 »

Offline Colby Hoops

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26930 on: November 17, 2019, 08:17:09 pm »
A few very early thoughts after the first weekend:

• First off, shoutout to Sam Jefferson. 40 points is impressive no matter the competition. With so much other offensive talent at Colby, it's hard for defenses to focus on him enough, and he keeps making them pay.
  • Watched a fair amount of the two Williams games. Spivy actually looks pretty in control and comfortable despite the bad shooting, not too worried about his start. Prowitt-Smith is going to be an absolute star and Karren is very skilled. Feinberg is underrated, one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. Still think there will be some growing pains for Williams, particularly against teams that can make Karp work down low, but lots to be excited about going forward.
  • Freshman class across the league looks very good so far, and we haven't even seen Amherst or Bates play. Williams and Hamilton seem loaded, I thought the two freshman bigs at Bowdoin both looked like solid players, and for Will King to be starting for Colby says a lot about how they feel about his future.
  • This is my big overreaction for the weekend (and obviously very premature considering some teams haven't even played yet). I think that there's a decent chance a non-Amherst/Midd team can win the league. As I've said, I think Hamilton is still really good, Tufts is loaded offensively, Colby is the same (and has a lot of experienced players). I think Amherst and Midd are still clearly the favorites, but I think there's a pretty good chance (35%?) that one of those three other teams I mentioned (and maybe even Williams) wins the regular season.

Offline nescac1

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #26931 on: November 18, 2019, 08:17:49 am »
I agree with all of Colby Hoops’ thoughts on the league. Jefferson continues to be one of the most under-appreciated top players in the region.

Outside of NESCAC, not too many teams in the region off to a terrific start.  WPI and Endicott each lost one.  Eastern Conn, two.  Salem State, Albertus Magnus, St Joe’s all have at least one loss.  Babson seems pretty loaded, led by transfer PG Crew Ainge.  That’s of interest here because Babson could potentially play five Nescac teams (at least three) in its next seven games!  Nichols looks very strong again, but one of their two bigs played one minute in opener and has not played since.  If he’s injured they are in trouble.  MIT way way down. 

Springfield is off to a 4-0 start despise having basically 2.5 impactful guys.  But man, look at Jake Ross’s stat line.  He’s a man amongst boys:

35-10-6, plus 3 steals and 1 block, 50-42-83, fewer than 2 TOs.  Otherworldly.  He was probably at 75 percent most of last year.  Clearly healthy this year.  And Heath Post is big time as well. 

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 08:33:27 am by nescac1 »

Online SpringSt7

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26932 on: November 18, 2019, 09:30:21 am »
Is anyone else having trouble viewing schedules and other such issues on certain team sites? Wondering if it's an issue on my end or if it has something to do with the website builder--certain schools that use the same client I'm unable to view their schedules or sort their stats.

Offline Colby Hoops

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26933 on: November 18, 2019, 11:50:01 am »
Is anyone else having trouble viewing schedules and other such issues on certain team sites? Wondering if it's an issue on my end or if it has something to do with the website builder--certain schools that use the same client I'm unable to view their schedules or sort their stats.

I usually go through Nescac.com to sort stats or schedules, seems to always work for me.

Offline Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #26934 on: November 18, 2019, 06:43:14 pm »

Recently the Presto schools' schedules have been getting picked up by my add blocker.  I'm having to whitelist the pages when I get there.  It's only been just the last 4-5 days.  That might be it.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Offline amh63

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #26935 on: November 19, 2019, 09:35:01 am »
Amherst, the last out of the Nescac gate...so to speak.  Plays tonight away.  There is a video preview on the Amherst athletic website.  Some jersey number changes....a relative large team.  Interested to see who steps into the 5 position.  Expect lots of rotation of players.  Early season games...non conf.....are for evaluation of “team” play, especially on the defensive side, imho.  Lots of scorers returning. 

Offline nescac1

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #26936 on: November 19, 2019, 09:06:52 pm »
Ephs and Oneonta headed to overtime.  Williams playing (mostly) good D and hitting the boards really hard but cannot get a shot to fall to save their lives.  A lack of offensive continuity, not shocking for a young team playing such a huge rotation, but also, one of those games where there seems to be a lid on the basket -- at least 7-8 shots have rimmed out.  Hopefully they can pull this one out, but either way, a good learning experience for this squad still finding its way. 

Offline Colby Hoops

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26937 on: November 19, 2019, 09:23:09 pm »
Colby with an easy win over UMaine-Farmington. Mules led by 30 within the first ten minutes and then cruised from there despite a somewhat sloppy second half. Sam Jefferson again led the way with 25 points (20 in the first half). The rest of the offensive load was pretty balanced against an overmatched UMF team. Dean Weiner looks to be working his way back to form, had a few nice blocked shots and contested rebounds. I was very impressed by freshman Will King -- plays with a lot of swagger for a freshman. Great court vision, ballhandling and is crafty around the basket.

Tufts with another impressive win, this time over UMass-Dartmouth (who beat Trinity over the weekend). Luke Rogers with a monster line -- 25 pts, 23 rebounds and 3 blocks. Impressive start for the Jumbos.

Trinity drops their second game of the season, this one to Jim Calhoun's St Joe's team. A team that got trounced by RIC in their opener. Not the start to the year the Bantams were hoping for.

Looked like a solid win for Midd on the road, behind a very good Jack Farrell game. Will let the Midd posters recap that one.

Williams loses in OT to an 0-2 SUNY Oneonta team. Just watched the last few minutes and overtime, but interesting to see the offense already running through Cole Prowitt-Smith in these key situations. I expect the Ephs will be a much better team by the end of the year, but there are going to be some growing pains along the way.

Offline nescac1

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #26938 on: November 19, 2019, 09:23:50 pm »
Well the Eph offensive struggles continued in overtime but then had a lot of tired-looking mental lapses on D. 

Player of the game for the Ephs' was Jovan Jones, who despite an off-shooting day had 14-12-2 plus played his customary tremendous D.  He battled his way for 10 offensive boards.  But a lot of close-in looks just did not drop.

Cole Prowitt-Smith came down to earth from his last game but still showed glimpses of his immense talent, while at the same time making some frosh mistakes (especially on D).  He seemed like the only Eph out there who could get his own shot, but alas, a lot of makeable shots didn't drop for him.  I thought he got fouled a number of times without a call, but he will learn to sell those better over time.  He finished with 17-6-3, but on 6-18 shooting.  Still, he continues to look really good.  May be the Ephs' best player by January at this rate, or at least in the running with Jovan and Karp.   

Karp got very few touches near the rim, Oneonta's big, strong bodies inside kept him out of the pain.  Ephs needs to find more ways to get him involved.  Spencer Spivy's rough start to the season continues, and until he gets going from outside, the Ephs lack the scoring punch they really need.  I feel like he just needs one or two to drop to get confidence and some rhythm going. 

Two other Eph frosh both had nice moments, Nate Karren and Alex Stoddard.  Both seem like they will be players down the line, and hopefully by later this season.  Both have some outside ability which is badly needed right now.

One more note, Michael Myers is going to be in the Eph grit hall of fame alone with Jim Frew, John Botti, and Chuck Abba.  He does not have the offensive game of any of those guys, but plays with the same sort of fire.  Drew two more brutal charges today, and finished a tough and-one.  Guy maximizes every inch of his ability. 

Tough to see the Ephs' lose this very winnable game, but a road loss to a solid veteran squad will be a growing experience.  The Ephs have loads of athletic talent, just need to get into more of an offensive rhythm, figure out who their go-to scorers are (my sense is that it will be Karp, CPS, and hopefully Spivy), and just relax and start finishing the bottom of the net from deep.  But I really like the grit, hustle, and determination of this group of guys.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 09:25:48 pm by nescac1 »

Offline middhoops

• All-Conference
    • View Profile
« Reply #26939 on: November 19, 2019, 09:31:49 pm »
Keene is always a tough place to play.  Older fans remember when we were briefly #1 back around 2012 and went in there and lost a game on a last second put back.
Came out with a ten point win tonight behind a solid 24 point effort by Jack Farrell who was, basically, un-guardable.
Junior forward Ryan Cahill had his best game as a Panther, playing tough D and dropping 3 treys.
Folger dropped in 19 and Eastman (who does magical things out there) added 13.  His post moves and some of his steals are so fast you beg for replay.

In three games, Midd seems to have played to the level of their opponent each time out.  There is no mistaking a ton of talent and some better depth than expected.  When it comes together one of these days, the running game will light up a gym and some serious scoring will take place.
Until then, Middlebury will battle out more tough wins.