Poll

What's the margin of victory for Saturday's game between Concordia and St. Thomas?

St. Thomas wins by 7 or less
St. Thomas wins by 8 to 20
Concordia wins by 7 or less
Concordia wins by 8 to 20
Monkey Stomp by one of the squads

Voting closes: November 01, 2014, 10:26:35 pm

Author Topic: FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference  (Read 3960557 times)

Offline hazzben

• All-American
  • Bethel Football - Tough, Tenacious, Tethered
    • View Profile
Re: FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
« Reply #62205 on: December 06, 2012, 11:29:02 am »
Why clean house with every single assistant. This assumes they are all garbage or unable to adapt to new management. If I'm the new guy, I definitely want some say in who I hire. But I'm not so foolish as to think some of these coaches would be key assets in bridging the two eras, not to mention gifted coaches. This would seem like a knee jerk, over-reaction to me.
Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation.Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are. John Wooden

Offline badgerwarhawk

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #62206 on: December 06, 2012, 11:44:42 am »
So let me understand this correctly....the 4th largest college/university in MN will play the 3rd largest college/university from the state of WI in the Division 3 Football Semifinals on Saturday?  Combined their enrollments total over 20,000.  God I love "small" college football!

This isn't going to devolve into the same old "UST is a big campus, they shouldn't be DIII" argument is it? Collge football is not high school football. It's very rare a player is plucked out of the talent pool that is the student body .  because some coach saw him playing pick-up basketball and thought he was a great athlete. Except maybe Steve Groth.

If I had a nickle for everytime we had to remind people of this on these boards....

::)

Notre Dame has fewer than 8500 students and is playing for the national championship in D1 against Alabama who enrolled over 6500 freshman and has a total enrollment of almost 35,000.  At the collegiate level enrollment approaches meaninglessness.
WARHAWKS,WARHAWKS,WARHAWKS

Offline tommiegun

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62207 on: December 06, 2012, 11:48:22 am »
So let me understand this correctly....the 4th largest college/university in MN will play the 3rd largest college/university from the state of WI in the Division 3 Football Semifinals on Saturday?  Combined their enrollments total over 20,000.  God I love "small" college football!

This isn't going to devolve into the same old "UST is a big campus, they shouldn't be DIII" argument is it? Collge football is not high school football. It's very rare a player is plucked out of the talent pool that is the student body .  because some coach saw him playing pick-up basketball and thought he was a great athlete. Except maybe Steve Groth.

If I had a nickle for everytime we had to remind people of this on these boards....

Notre Dame has fewer than 8500 students and is playing for the national championship in D1 against Alabama who enrolled over 6500 freshman and has a total enrollment of almost 35,000.  At the collegiate level enrollment approaches meaninglessness.

I'm sure you've heard this argument before, but isn't it a huge advantage to the large DIII institutions in Wisconsin that there is virtually no DII presence in the state (i.e. its Madison or DIII)?

Offline AO

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #62208 on: December 06, 2012, 12:02:21 pm »

I'm sure you've heard this argument before, but isn't it a huge advantage to the large DIII institutions in Wisconsin that there is virtually no DII presence in the state (i.e. its Madison or DIII)?
70% of St. Thomas players had a scholarship offer according to Caruso.  There are 18 d3 football schools in Wis. vs 15 in Minnesota.  There's also a large number of Wisconsin kids coming to Minnesota to play d2 football.

Hamline could probably perceive a disadvantage, but you'd have to add that to the already long list of disadvantages that program is up against.

Offline 02 Warhawk

• All-American
  • Go Quakers!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62209 on: December 06, 2012, 12:03:58 pm »

Yes, but that has nothing to do with enrollment size. DIII schools in WI do have an advantage because - outside of Madison - there isn't any other place to play college football. Unless you want to go to Minny-SO-ta or Illin-oiz

Wisconsin College Football Programs
1 DI program (Madison)
0 DII programs
0 NAIA programs
18 DIII programs
@popsofone

Offline Retired Old Rat

• All-American
  • American classic
    • View Profile
    • JohnnieFootball.com
« Reply #62210 on: December 06, 2012, 12:24:35 pm »
Larry Keheres was an inside hire.
The Official Fan Site For St. John's Football - Underground!  www.JohnnieFootball.com

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #62211 on: December 06, 2012, 01:02:25 pm »
Thought I would repost this here to spur discussion, as apparently there is a lesser job open for some other team that wears red and white on Saturdays but is unfortunately located east of the St. Croix (that rules out Hamline, too!). 

I was not aware River Falls was looking again. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline KitchenSink

• All-Conference
    • View Profile
« Reply #62212 on: December 06, 2012, 01:11:28 pm »
"Chad Greenway Encourages All Vikings Fans To Be “Super-Duper Drunk” For Sunday’s Home Game Against Chicago"

Is that a subtle endorsement of Stiftungsfest?
What the hell was that?  That was a Drop-kick.  Drop-kick? How much is that worth?  Three points.  THREE POINTS?!

Offline emma17

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #62213 on: December 06, 2012, 01:23:43 pm »
In no particular order it seems to me the keys to a winning program are:
Recruiting
Assistant Coaches
Big Picture Plan/organization (head coach)
School commitment

I'm curious about the assistant coaches at St John's, have they been on staff for a while?
Are they well regarded?

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #62214 on: December 06, 2012, 01:26:40 pm »
You might want to put facilities on that list, even though it can fall under school commitment.

SJU has two long-time coordinators. I'll let someone closer to the program tell you how well they are regarded, but a regular reading of this board will tell you more.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline Boys of Fall

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62215 on: December 06, 2012, 01:52:33 pm »
I'm confused by those that want to throw away the tradition of SJU football, clean house, and start over.  Every other team in the conference would love to have St. Johns' history and would use it for future success.  If I'm the search committee I'm not looking to start over, I'm looking for a bridge from one successful era to another successful era.  They're only 2.5-3 years removed from when they were at the top of the conference.

Offline DuffMan

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #62216 on: December 06, 2012, 01:57:20 pm »
I'm curious about the assistant coaches at St John's, have they been on staff for a while?
Are they well regarded?

Defensive Coordinator - Jerry Haugen, 37th season, well-regarded and well liked by players.  Also head baseball coach.
Offensive Coordinator - Jimmy Gagliardi, 21st season, I don't know a whole lot of people that care for Jimmy.
Defensive Coach/Recruiting Coordinator - Gary Fasching, 17th season, well-regarded and well liked by players.
Offensive Coach - Brandon Novak, 12th season, well-regarded and well liked by players.  Also head wrestling coach.
Offensive Coach - Jim Mader, 9th season, came on staff after my time, but was highly regarded as a HS coach.
Defensive Coach - Damien Dumonceaux, 7th season, a friend of mine that I don't know as a coach.  Hired full-time in 2012.

There's a handful of other "minor" coaches that I know nothing about.

2014 MIAC Champs
November 22nd, 2014:  NCAA 1st-round playoff game @ Clemens Stadium
Go Johnnies!

Offline DuffMan

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #62217 on: December 06, 2012, 01:58:47 pm »
I'm confused by those that want to throw away the tradition of SJU football, clean house, and start over.  Every other team in the conference would love to have St. Johns' history and would use it for future success.  If I'm the search committee I'm not looking to start over, I'm looking for a bridge from one successful era to another successful era.  They're only 2.5-3 years removed from when they were at the top of the conference.

I don't think anyone wants to throw out the SJU tradition of excellence.  I just don't want to cling to the past.  They need to allow the new coach to run things his (or her) way, regardless of how John ran the program. 
2014 MIAC Champs
November 22nd, 2014:  NCAA 1st-round playoff game @ Clemens Stadium
Go Johnnies!

Offline emma17

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #62218 on: December 06, 2012, 02:24:03 pm »
You might want to put facilities on that list, even though it can fall under school commitment.

SJU has two long-time coordinators. I'll let someone closer to the program tell you how well they are regarded, but a regular reading of this board will tell you more.

It's not the reading- it's the retaining.  :-\

Offline emma17

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #62219 on: December 06, 2012, 02:26:39 pm »
Are they well regarded?

Defensive Coordinator - Jerry Haugen, 37th season, well-regarded and well liked by players.  Also head baseball coach.
Offensive Coordinator - Jimmy Gagliardi, 21st season, I don't know a whole lot of people that care for Jimmy.
Defensive Coach/Recruiting Coordinator - Gary Fasching, 17th season, well-regarded and well liked by players.
Offensive Coach - Brandon Novak, 12th season, well-regarded and well liked by players.  Also head wrestling coach.
Offensive Coach - Jim Mader, 9th season, came on staff after my time, but was highly regarded as a HS coach.
Defensive Coach - Damien Dumonceaux, 7th season, a friend of mine that I don't know as a coach.  Hired full-time in 2012.

There's a handful of other "minor" coaches that I know nothing about.

Thanks Duff. That's serious experience in the assistant ranks.  Hmm. I can't see a new hc cleaning house.