Author Topic: FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference  (Read 4020616 times)

Offline repete

• All-Region
    • View Profile
Re: FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
« Reply #63285 on: January 18, 2013, 05:31:15 pm »
My rec room/d3 man cave now has the look of the Hawthorn Hawks Fan Shop, thanks to our board's own wonder from Down Under. Thanks, Oz.  I'll be wearing/flying the colors proudly. I might need to alter my pooch-walking route to include a couple of Aussie homes in the hood ... just to see if I can get a rise out of them!

Offline OzJohnnie

• All-American
  • Lager, mate?
    • View Profile
    • Johnnies Football
« Reply #63286 on: January 18, 2013, 07:11:18 pm »
No worries, repete. It was a pleasure.

Temerton; your words are wise and the weigh heavily. I'm still inclined to wait before I believe.  What a kid who has been knocked back thinks is recruiting and what an reasonable observer would think is recruiting would be far apart, I think. If Caruso is doing the dirty on people then it won't be long and a chorus of legitimate gripes will ring forth. I fully expect this to happen, by the way, it just isn't happening yet.

Offline OzJohnnie

• All-American
  • Lager, mate?
    • View Profile
    • Johnnies Football
« Reply #63287 on: January 19, 2013, 03:19:21 pm »
They say that Queensland is beautiful one day, perfect the next. I can't figure out which day this morning is. What a great day.

Offline HSCTiger74

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #63288 on: January 19, 2013, 04:27:02 pm »
They say that Queensland is beautiful one day, perfect the next. I can't figure out which day this morning is. What a great day.

Oz, you're a cruel man to post this pic on the MIAC board in the middle of January.    :D

Offline tmerton

• All-American
  • Do something that matters
    • View Profile
« Reply #63289 on: January 19, 2013, 04:50:20 pm »

Temerton; your words are wise and the weigh heavily. I'm still inclined to wait before I believe.  What a kid who has been knocked back thinks is recruiting and what an reasonable observer would think is recruiting would be far apart, I think. If Caruso is doing the dirty on people then it won't be long and a chorus of legitimate gripes will ring forth. I fully expect this to happen, by the way, it just isn't happening yet.

I have no specific knowledge of UST's recruiting or what hazzben claims to be their over-recruiting, so I'm making no claim there.  As for what constitutes recruiting, I went through the process as the father of a young man who was recruited by programs from D-1 through D-3.  There are mass mailings, invitations to camps, invitations to games, coaches trolling through the high schools and lots of other stuff that is part of recruiting in the generic sense but isn't what I would consider a specific effort to get a player to attend your school, which is what I think is at issue here.  And it may be more difficult in D-3 since there are no scholarships, as such (ahem).  But if the head coach gets involved in trying to get the kid's commitment to attend the school, I have no doubt that that is a recruited player.  Believe me, the player and the parents know when it's the case.

As for waiting for the "chorus of legitimate gripes," well, good luck on that.  The SEC, including Nick Saban, has been over-recruiting for years but no one really cares, notwithstanding the kids that get their scholarships pulled simply because they didn't turn out to be as big, or fast, or good as the coaches originally thought.  Nobody (but the kids and their families) really cares, and I suspect people care even less at the D-3 level.

Oh, and AO, I'm not talking about attrition as kids go through the years in school.  That there are 2 or 3 seniors on the Saint John's basketball team means exactly bupkis in this discussion.

Offline AO

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #63290 on: January 19, 2013, 09:26:00 pm »

I have no specific knowledge of UST's recruiting or what hazzben claims to be their over-recruiting, so I'm making no claim there.  As for what constitutes recruiting, I went through the process as the father of a young man who was recruited by programs from D-1 through D-3.  There are mass mailings, invitations to camps, invitations to games, coaches trolling through the high schools and lots of other stuff that is part of recruiting in the generic sense but isn't what I would consider a specific effort to get a player to attend your school, which is what I think is at issue here.  And it may be more difficult in D-3 since there are no scholarships, as such (ahem).  But if the head coach gets involved in trying to get the kid's commitment to attend the school, I have no doubt that that is a recruited player.  Believe me, the player and the parents know when it's the case.

As for waiting for the "chorus of legitimate gripes," well, good luck on that.  The SEC, including Nick Saban, has been over-recruiting for years but no one really cares, notwithstanding the kids that get their scholarships pulled simply because they didn't turn out to be as big, or fast, or good as the coaches originally thought.  Nobody (but the kids and their families) really cares, and I suspect people care even less at the D-3 level.

Oh, and AO, I'm not talking about attrition as kids go through the years in school.  That there are 2 or 3 seniors on the Saint John's basketball team means exactly bupkis in this discussion.
The small number of seniors through has everything to do with this discussion, as the same principle of entitlement and ego is a critical factor.  In D-3, you don't really know who is going to come to your school until just before camp begins.  There's no signing day.  The incoming freshmen that come to St. Thomas understand the competition involved.  Not being invited to pre-season camp doesn't mean you can't prove yourself once class starts and you start practicing.  Before convicting Caruso, I'd like to hear a specific lie or at least the name of a known "victim".

Offline retagent

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #63291 on: January 19, 2013, 10:21:28 pm »
On to the Coachella Valley for some wamth and golf.

Offline tmerton

• All-American
  • Do something that matters
    • View Profile
« Reply #63292 on: January 19, 2013, 11:32:17 pm »
"Everything"?  AO, i'll be polite - you know nothing about the SJU bball program and any conclusion you draw from the # of seniors is bullish!t speculation.  You also know nothing about what incoming recruited fball UST players know. 

If UST has a limit on the number of players invited to fall camp, it is incumbent on them to let their recruited players know that. I don't know if they do or not, but so far no one has contradicted hazzben's claim that they don't.

Offline AO

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #63293 on: January 20, 2013, 12:26:21 am »
"Everything"?  AO, i'll be polite - you know nothing about the SJU bball program and any conclusion you draw from the # of seniors is bullish!t speculation.  You also know nothing about what incoming recruited fball UST players know. 

If UST has a limit on the number of players invited to fall camp, it is incumbent on them to let their recruited players know that. I don't know if they do or not, but so far no one has contradicted hazzben's claim that they don't.
Of course it's speculation, what else can we do?  I don't know if previous generations had less ego, but I do now that I have seen plenty of freshmen who felt entitled to a spot, and several sophomores/juniors who quit when a freshman/sophomore took their spot.

Offline OzJohnnie

• All-American
  • Lager, mate?
    • View Profile
    • Johnnies Football
« Reply #63294 on: January 20, 2013, 04:26:55 pm »
Time for a good commercial?  There's an outdoor store up in Queensland that has a pretty good ad on which I couldn't find on YouTube.

And this.  The most irreverent ad I've ever seen:

http://youtu.be/T19MFfdVt24

Offline stanbob

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #63295 on: January 20, 2013, 05:30:52 pm »
Time for a good commercial?  There's an outdoor store up in Queensland that has a pretty good ad on which I couldn't find on YouTube.

What was the lifetime for this ad Oz?
Everyday is payday in paradise.

Offline OzJohnnie

• All-American
  • Lager, mate?
    • View Profile
    • Johnnies Football
« Reply #63296 on: January 20, 2013, 06:14:12 pm »

What was the lifetime for this ad Oz?

I don't know but I imagine that ad got a bit of grief. Austrlia loves defying the politically correct but that there is pretty bad. You have to love the Aussie dry humor though when the poor kid has to spend all day playing with sticks in the field by himself because he's too poor to go to school with the other kids. That made me chuckle.

Offline sjusection105

• All-American
  • Toga! Toga! Toga!
    • View Profile
    • JohnnieFootball.com
« Reply #63297 on: January 21, 2013, 08:42:44 am »
Today reminds me of a saying from my youth- "It's cold enough to freeze the nuts off a John Deere plow"  ;D
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

Offline DuffMan

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #63298 on: January 21, 2013, 04:13:15 pm »
Today reminds me of a saying from my youth- "It's cold enough to freeze the nuts off a John Deere plow"  ;D

Tough in Dallas, too.  70 yesterday, but only 55 today.   :o
2014 MIAC Champs
November 22nd, 2014:  NCAA 1st-round playoff game @ Clemens Stadium
Prognosticated by NostraDuffus in 2013.  The prophecy has been fulfilled.
Go Johnnies!

Offline faunch

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #63299 on: January 21, 2013, 07:03:09 pm »
I know Duff has issues w/ "pumpkin ball" but this just in....SJU basketball homes games will be streamed starting tonight!!!  Could it mean that football in the fall will be too??

http://www.gojohnnies.com/index.aspx?tab=basketball&path=mbball
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 07:10:51 pm by faunch »

I'm a uniter, not a divider.