Author Topic: FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference  (Read 7819378 times)

Offline desertcat1

• All-American
  • "The Serial Smiter Himself"
    • View Profile
Re: FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
« Reply #88110 on: October 16, 2018, 12:02:57 pm »
3. Threw to the outside and picked apart man coverage...o-line gave Jackson enough time!
Does St. Olaf,Gustavus or Bethel have the athletes to duplicate this type of game plan vs UST? I would venture to say Gustavus has the QB and receivers but not sure of the O-line play. Bethel with Marsh at QB if he plays like he did against SJU could put a scare into the Toms. Time will tell how it shakes out.

This may come off as a harsh answer, but I would say a declarative NO. Jackson Erdmann played like only a handful of D3 quarterbacks I have ever seen. Comparable to Aaron Boehme (Linfield) and Alex Tanney (Monmouth followed by NFL). He put balls in the smallest windows where only his receiver could get them. He threw well to all different levels. He moved around in the pocket just enough to manage pressure. And he had an hard internal clock in his head on when to fire; never more than 1-2 seconds in the pocket. His only flaw may have been staring down receivers, which led to the handful of batted balls. But that was largely because his primary route on the pre-snap read was almost always available.

It may sound like hyperbole, but based on that performance, he would start for a large number of Division 1 schools. There may be 1 or 2 other DIII schools out there that come even come close to that level. I thought the O-Line and receiver played into Saturday's success, but it really rested on the shoulders of one individual. Heckendorf designed the plan and Erdmann executed it. Both deserve all the credit in the world. If I knew James Franklin I would call him today and tell him the kid that left his program is a perfect heir apparent to McSorley and he should call him and beg him to come back next year. Caruso should also find out what Heckendorf is getting payed, and offer to double it. ;D

It reminded me a bit of when UST went down to play Monmouth in that first year in the playoffs against Tanney. The difference that time was UST had a gameplan for it because they knew what they were walking into. The offense also didn't screw the pooch with 5 turnovers in that game. I would be really curious to see how UST would adjust next time around, if there is a next time. Put two safeties over the top, jam the inside routes and force Erdmann to make the sideline throws. They may give up 3-4 yards on a run now and then, but that would have to be the counter. He may still make the throws, but at least you force them to tougher spots on the field and keep it in front of you a bit, until a penalty, a sack, or a mistake is made. The offense can stay with a similar gameplan. They garnered 610 yards. They might want to eliminate the unforced errors though.

Minus the fumble near the goal line I would say Josh Parks was also a pretty clear high level Division 1 talent too. The speed was always there, but he now appears to be a lot stronger and better between the tackles. SJU needs to find a mediocre running back. The SJU line play is decent. But, the RB just barrels right into their backsides without seeing cutback lanes or holes develop. It's a glaring weakness on an otherwise high level offense. The kicking game was a mess for SJU as well.

Talking about good QB's that have played D3, Brett Elliott from Linfield is the best I have ever seen.  The guy left Utah because Alex Smith beat him out for the starting job.  That is all.
.   [/b]
Sorry ďCharlieĒ  but, that was NOT THE REASON .  :-*
" If you are going to be a bear, be a Grizzly"

C.W. Smith

Offline D O.C.

• All-American
  • TEAM EXCELLENCE ATTITUDE CLASS
    • View Profile
« Reply #88111 on: October 16, 2018, 12:22:31 pm »
The new DO.C. will try to clarify.
Brett hurt his wrist running the ball down in a Texas game. Smith took over and it didn't look like Brett was going to get the job back.

Offline hazzben

• All-American
  • "I'm your huckleberry"
    • View Profile
« Reply #88112 on: October 16, 2018, 01:35:36 pm »
The new DO.C. will try to clarify.
Brett hurt his wrist running the ball down in a Texas game. Smith took over and it didn't look like Brett was going to get the job back.

So he got Wally Pipped by Alex Smith is what you're trying to say.  ;D 8-)

But agreed, he was nails as a D3 QB. Legit D1 talent tearing defenses up for a few years. Some epic playoff games, the UWW one in particular comes to mind.

Offline sjujohnnie

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88113 on: October 16, 2018, 02:07:11 pm »
I did cough up the $45 dollars to watch St John's home games this season even though I came up for the season opener against UW-Stout & plan on making the 5 hour trek from northwest Iowa to watch the non-conference regular season ending matchup with Thomas More. The JOHNNIE/Tommie game can be seen in all it's glory "on demand" on Stretch!

Offline faunch

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #88114 on: October 16, 2018, 02:49:27 pm »
I did cough up the $45 dollars to watch St John's home games this season even though I came up for the season opener against UW-Stout & plan on making the 5 hour trek from northwest Iowa to watch the non-conference regular season ending matchup with Thomas More. The JOHNNIE/Tommie game can be seen in all it's glory "on demand" on Stretch!

Only until Wednesday.

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

Offline Greggers

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88115 on: October 16, 2018, 02:50:56 pm »
Something interesting to think about is how this new Johnnie offense will play out the rest of the year. It would have been interesting to see how the outcomes of the Stout and Bethel game would have been had they used this offense and how that may have affected their ranking (I know they were it hiding for UST). But looking forward it will be interesting to see if they stick with it or go back to the more traditional offense, I think it would help them with the committee by airing it out and blowing out teams considering nobody left on the schedule should have the athletes to cover St. Johnís

Offline GoldandBlueBU

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #88116 on: October 16, 2018, 03:24:05 pm »
Something interesting to think about is how this new Johnnie offense will play out the rest of the year. It would have been interesting to see how the outcomes of the Stout and Bethel game would have been had they used this offense and how that may have affected their ranking (I know they were it hiding for UST). But looking forward it will be interesting to see if they stick with it or go back to the more traditional offense, I think it would help them with the committee by airing it out and blowing out teams considering nobody left on the schedule should have the athletes to cover St. Johnís

I'm not entirely convinced they were "hiding" it before?  If so, maybe they were really thinking ahead by intentionally frequently allowing the BU defense to get pressures on Erdmann.  When he had some time vs. BU, he made some really nice throws, but the SJU o-line simply didn't look up to the task of keeping UST at bay, at least that Saturday.

I'd buy that Fasching at co. viewed the UST secondary as a potential weakness and game planned a pass-heavy day, but giving Erdmann enough time to exploit was the real surprise to me.

Offline DuffMan

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #88117 on: October 16, 2018, 03:24:11 pm »
...I think it would help them with the committee by airing it out and blowing out teams considering nobody left on the schedule should have the athletes to cover St. Johnís

I'm curious what you mean by "help them with the committee."  They've outscored opponents 257-49 and beat U$T thus far.  I don't really think trouncing a few mediocre MIAC teams will impress anyone.  The name of the game now is winning out and keeping everyone healthy.

Edit: I don't believe for an instant that SJU was "hiding" that offense.  I think they came up with a solid game plan for U$T and executed it.

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions:  1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018
National Champions:  1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

Offline sjusection105

• All-American
  • Toga! Toga! Toga!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88118 on: October 16, 2018, 04:02:17 pm »
...I think it would help them with the committee by airing it out and blowing out teams considering nobody left on the schedule should have the athletes to cover St. Johnís

I'm curious what you mean by "help them with the committee."  They've outscored opponents 257-49 and beat U$T thus far.  I don't really think trouncing a few mediocre MIAC teams will impress anyone.  The name of the game now is winning out and keeping everyone healthy.

Edit: I don't believe for an instant that SJU was "hiding" that offense. I think they came up with a solid game plan for U$T and executed it.
SJU was able to make UST pay for bringing pressure on 85% of the plays. Live by the sword/ die by the sword as the old saying goes. By not changing their plan of attack in the 2nd half,UST felt they could bring enough pressure to tip the scales. They didn't and as they say "the rest is history"
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

Offline SagatagSam

• All-Region
  • Long Live the Red Party Cup!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88119 on: October 16, 2018, 04:08:14 pm »
Can't look past Concordia (or St. Olaf for that matter). Going to Moorhead is one that screams "trap game" to me.  I'd hate to go there with our heads in the clouds and have the Cobbers keep it close by making the most of their possessions and controlling the ball for 40-plus minutes. (See SJU v. Concordia-Moorhead, 2012, 2014).

Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright.

Offline miac952

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88120 on: October 16, 2018, 04:55:31 pm »
Can't look past Concordia (or St. Olaf for that matter). Going to Moorhead is one that screams "trap game" to me.  I'd hate to go there with our heads in the clouds and have the Cobbers keep it close by making the most of their possessions and controlling the ball for 40-plus minutes. (See SJU v. Concordia-Moorhead, 2012, 2014).

Wonder if someone could help clarify. Are common opponents considered as a factor in how teams are seeded in the tournament? If so.....

The Concordia game could have other implications too. Whitewater likely will win out. At the end of the year UWW and SJU will have two common opponents; Stout and Concordia. The differential in those results may determine the final #1 seed in the tournament. Mount, MHB, and Brockport are likely shoe-in's for the other 1's, given they will run the table and have last years playoff results to lean on. Being a 1 seed is advantageous to avoiding a team like John Carroll or St Thomas in round 2.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 05:14:34 pm by miac952 »

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #88121 on: October 16, 2018, 05:12:45 pm »
Definitely a factor, and in recent years the committee has looked beyond just "X beat Y and Z beat Y" in order to rank teams. So if X beats Y by a field goal and Z beats Y by 24 points, that would be something they could consider. But if X beats Y by 14 and Z beats Y by 10, 17, 21, that's usually not considered significantly different.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline miac952

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88122 on: October 16, 2018, 05:13:17 pm »
Definitely a factor, and in recent years the committee has looked beyond just "X beat Y and Z beat Y" in order to rank teams. So if X beats Y by a field goal and Z beats Y by 24 points, that would be something they could consider. But if X beats Y by 14 and Z beats Y by 10, 17, 21, that's usually not considered significantly different.

Thanks Pat!

Offline Greggers

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88123 on: October 16, 2018, 08:20:55 pm »
If this is true why is Brockport ranked ahead of SJU? They donít have a better resume but have only beat the teams they have played, which have been mostly subpar by a lot and are ranked #3?

Offline Greggers

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88124 on: October 16, 2018, 08:24:28 pm »

Edit: I don't believe for an instant that SJU was "hiding" that offense.  I think they came up with a solid game plan for U$T and executed it.

They did not put that plan in place before the game, they made that game plan before the season and practiced it during the summer