Author Topic: FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference  (Read 9203302 times)

Offline hazzben

• All-American
  • "I'm your huckleberry"
    • View Profile
Re: FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
« Reply #97815 on: January 15, 2020, 01:00:22 pm »
So would Geoff Dartt. 

The bigger issue at the moment is the recent academic direction a new academic nerd is taking at Mount.  There's a reason so many long time professors/employees are taking their early retirement packages.  This truly could be the end of not only the Kehres era, but the dominance that has been Mount Union football.  Never mind that 100+ male students come to Mount every year to play football, let's just refocus the university direction to embrace change?

Mount will be very competitive for the next few years due to the Kehres effect, but after that?   ???

Is the new admin claiming they are raising academic standards or bringing athlete admission standards in line with the rest of the school? Zero snark here, just wondering what is meant by "recent academic direction"?

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #97816 on: January 15, 2020, 01:44:39 pm »
So would Geoff Dartt. 

The bigger issue at the moment is the recent academic direction a new academic nerd is taking at Mount.  There's a reason so many long time professors/employees are taking their early retirement packages.  This truly could be the end of not only the Kehres era, but the dominance that has been Mount Union football.  Never mind that 100+ male students come to Mount every year to play football, let's just refocus the university direction to embrace change?

Mount will be very competitive for the next few years due to the Kehres effect, but after that?   ???

Is the new admin claiming they are raising academic standards or bringing athlete admission standards in line with the rest of the school? Zero snark here, just wondering what is meant by "recent academic direction"?

I don't know what the data says, but a few years ago a poster claimed that LK's winning % was exceeded only by his graduation %, so they must not be bending admissions standards much for at least football players.

Offline MiacMan

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97817 on: January 15, 2020, 01:53:52 pm »
So would Geoff Dartt. 

I have no inside info regarding Mount but, obviously Larry and Vince communicate everything closely with each other. My guess is that something is going on that they don't like or think that it will make it extremely difficult to be successful at their jobs. They are both too professional to put something like the direction of the school as an issue for athletic success. Rather than being the "Debbie Downers" they just wish everyone well and move on.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 01:55:55 pm by MiacMan »

Online MUC57

• All-American
  • "PURPLE RAIDERS"
    • View Profile
« Reply #97818 on: January 15, 2020, 04:02:41 pm »

Some Mount Union chatter

Yes, LK stressed academics as well as football. If a player was having trouble in a particular area, he was tutored in that subject. I don't want to mis-quote a statistic, but I do know graduation rate among the football players was extremely high. Don't forget, when you watch the Pros name their school, many of them didn't graduate. Sure, some because of the lure of the NFL, but the rest? The fact

Another thing, for whatever impact it may have had. The AD reported to the Academic Dean. Now, Mount has three separate schools, each with it's own Dean. Impact? Who knows!

Mount Union has added several new study disciplines as well as several Masters degree program's. Even one PhD program is now offered. Major changes as compared to when I was there.
More emphasis on academics and less on athletics? Not necessarily but who knows.

All I know is we are losing a legend in Larry Kehres. And we're losing a hell of a coach in Vince Kehres.

Rather than question why they are leaving and why now, my wish is the very best for both of them. Larry, enjoy your retirement. You've certainly earned it. Thank you for your hard work and all you have meant to a little liberal arts school in Ohio as well as Dlll football in general.
Vince, best to you. I'm sure your football knowledge with be a big plus at Toledo. They can only get better with you coaching.

And finally, to all my friends on this board, excuse the rambling. Just some thoughts based on some of the comments I have seen re the Kehres's movements.

Now, please excuse me while I lock myself in the closet and sulk.
Go Everybody. 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺 (Should be 13, we know why 13)
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! ☠ 🏈

Online MUC57

• All-American
  • "PURPLE RAIDERS"
    • View Profile
« Reply #97819 on: January 15, 2020, 04:19:52 pm »

And furthermore

Some of us knew Larry Kehres. Some if us knew John Gagliardi.
How lucky were we to have crossed paths with a legend! Most people never live that experience.
We did!  ;D

Offline MiacMan

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97820 on: January 15, 2020, 04:43:32 pm »

And furthermore

How lucky were we to have crossed paths with a legend! Most people never live that experience.
We did!  ;D

Thanks MUC, Well stated! Both great people we're proud to have at least some sort of an association with. Cheers!

Online MUC57

• All-American
  • "PURPLE RAIDERS"
    • View Profile
« Reply #97821 on: January 15, 2020, 05:43:38 pm »

And furthermore

We did!  ;D

Thanks MUC, Well stated! Both great people we're proud to have at least some sort of an association with. Cheers!

Thanks, my friend. Let's have a Milwaukee's Best for the two of them.
Noroc! (That's cheers in Romanian) 🍺🍺  ;D

Offline skunks_sidekick

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #97822 on: January 15, 2020, 09:38:24 pm »
So would Geoff Dartt. 

Hazz….I think it is more this person has really turned off many that have worked at Mount for a very long time.  I don't think it is as much a "football thing" as it is a personality/a**hole thing.  That is what I am hearing from folks at Mount. 

Offline retagent

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #97823 on: Yesterday at 08:55:24 am »
57 and skunks - thanks for the input, Like the UST debacle, I'm sure there is a lot going on that we don't know about, and rumors will swirl. But your info, such as it is, makes a lot of sense when taken as a whole.

Offline MiacMan

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97824 on: Yesterday at 09:46:41 am »
57 and skunks - thanks for the input, Like the UST debacle, I'm sure there is a lot going on that we don't know about, and rumors will swirl. But your info, such as it is, makes a lot of sense when taken as a whole.

Speaking of the UST debacle, we should have a much clearer picture and some confirmation as to where they'll be going, sometime in the next two weeks. I believe the NCAA has meetings starting next week with the D3 to D1 path on the docket. That being said, it appears this has been a huge boost to the UST recruiting effort. According to twitter they are absolutely knocking it out of the park. The guy who runs the MIAC recruiting page said they already have a crazy sick class and National signing day is still ahead. Apparently, the lure of being able to play D1 either with a scholarship or not is pretty attractive.

Offline skunks_sidekick

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #97825 on: Yesterday at 12:00:48 pm »

Speaking of the UST debacle, we should have a much clearer picture and some confirmation as to where they'll be going, sometime in the next two weeks. I believe the NCAA has meetings starting next week with the D3 to D1 path on the docket. That being said, it appears this has been a huge boost to the UST recruiting effort. According to twitter they are absolutely knocking it out of the park. The guy who runs the MIAC recruiting page said they already have a crazy sick class and National signing day is still ahead. Apparently, the lure of being able to play D1 either with a scholarship or not is pretty attractive.

So how would that work?  Recruit commits and will play D-III for the first 1 or 2 years.  Does he then get a scholarship for the last two if UST becomes D-I in say 2023?  That will be a crazy transition.  Now if UST stays non-scholarship D-I I guess it would have less impact.  Going to be interesting times.

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #97826 on: Yesterday at 12:59:31 pm »

So how would that work?  Recruit commits and will play D-III for the first 1 or 2 years.  Does he then get a scholarship for the last two if UST becomes D-I in say 2023?  That will be a crazy transition.  Now if UST stays non-scholarship D-I I guess it would have less impact.  Going to be interesting times.

I haven't heard any plans that include football scholarships at UST at this point.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline MiacMan

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97827 on: Yesterday at 02:16:11 pm »

I haven't heard any plans that include football scholarships at UST at this point.

I have. I can also tell you they are raising monies right now as we speak for Endowed Athletic Scholarships.

SSK: Assuming everything is cleared for the direct transition to D1, which all indications are that it will happen, this will be their last year in D3. D1 schedule will begin in 2021. This would be the only year (2020) these recruits would be D3. However, depending how the NCAA regulates the transition, the bulk of this years class could "Redshirt" and probably will if allowed.

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #97828 on: Yesterday at 03:41:39 pm »

I have. I can also tell you they are raising monies right now as we speak for Endowed Athletic Scholarships.

For football? That would have other implications as to what league they play in for football, etc. I can't see them being in the Missouri Valley Football Conference without a lot of other changes, but they fit just fine in the Pioneer League as is.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline faunch

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #97829 on: Yesterday at 04:13:06 pm »

For football? That would have other implications as to what league they play in for football, etc. I can't see them being in the Missouri Valley Football Conference without a lot of other changes, but they fit just fine in the Pioneer League as is.
I would love to see them go the Missouri Valley immediately...would even buy me some Bison, Jackrabbit or 'Yote gear!!

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."