Author Topic: FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference  (Read 9486748 times)

Offline OzJohnnie

• All-American
  • Lager, mate?
    • View Profile
    • Johnnies Football
Re: FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
« Reply #98565 on: March 26, 2020, 06:25:21 pm »
Well said, MUC57.  I'm very glad to hear you're home and recovering.  Keep us posted.

(And who would have thought there would be a time when someone would be happy to have regular old pneumonia?)
[  

Offline 57Johnnie

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #98566 on: March 26, 2020, 06:33:14 pm »
I saw an old lady (my age) at Walmart with 36 rolls of TP. If she really needs all those, I suspect covid-19 should not be her main concern. Are these people nuts or what?

I spent 3 days in isolation at Alliance Hospital. Wasn't feeling well and I'm old! After many IV's, shots and numerous pills I was released. Got tested for the Coronavirus and it came back NEGATIVE! I do have a rhinovirus (cold) and pneumonia. Working on those at home with numerous medications. 57Johnnie is right- getting older is not for sissies.

I direct my prayers to all the other people affected one way or the other by this pandemic.

As a small child, I remember WWll. The country joined together to fight an enemy we all knew. Now we must join together to fight an enemy we've never seen.

God Bless all you guys, your families, your friends and everyone touched by this virus. I'm lucky. I don't have it, others are not so lucky!

Oh! Go Everybody! That includes doctors, nurses, nurses aides, techs, nurse practioners and anyone involved with the battle of this horrific Iillness.

STAY SAFE! STAY WELL!
Get well soon!
I recommend Timisoreana, Ursus or Zaganu.  :D
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

Offline miac952

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98567 on: March 26, 2020, 06:38:04 pm »
Take care of yourself MUC!!

Offline miac952

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98568 on: March 26, 2020, 06:43:00 pm »
Iím starting not to believe Chinaís numbers. How did much smaller countries like Spain and Italy pass them up with such ease. I get that the Wuhan area was shutdown and less transient, but I am still puzzled. And if this thing is wreaking havoc in well developed cities in NY, Louisiana, Northern Italy and Spain, I canít fathom what it will do to cities in India, parts of Africa or even Mother Russia. And weíll probably never know the full scope in those areas.

Offline OzJohnnie

• All-American
  • Lager, mate?
    • View Profile
    • Johnnies Football
« Reply #98569 on: March 26, 2020, 06:52:21 pm »
Iím starting not to believe Chinaís numbers. How did much smaller countries like Spain and Italy pass them up with such ease. I get that the Wuhan area was shutdown and less transient, but I am still puzzled. And if this thing is wreaking havoc in well developed cities in NY, Louisiana, Northern Italy and Spain, I canít fathom what it will do to cities in India, parts of Africa or even Mother Russia. And weíll probably never know the full scope in those areas.

Yeah, I agree.  I reckon they are lying their backsides off.  Have been since day one.  The pros need to use medical data out of the EU and NA.  Can't trust anything else to be accurate.
[  

Offline OzJohnnie

• All-American
  • Lager, mate?
    • View Profile
    • Johnnies Football
« Reply #98570 on: March 26, 2020, 07:04:43 pm »
I missed this a week ago.  Carnival Cruise Lines, who have cancelled all their cruises, have offered their ships as hospital ships to local coastal gov'ts in need of more beds.  I haven't been able to find an article to see if anyone has taken them up on it yet.  But more good ingenuity coming to the front.  Fortunately P&O Australia is included.  I haven't seen mention of this in the Aussie press, however.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/03/19/with-coronavirus-overwhelming-facilities-land-carnival-offers-its-cruise-ships-makeshift-hospitals/
[  

Offline jamtod

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #98571 on: March 26, 2020, 09:30:12 pm »
Yeah, I think the odds of angry mobs with pitchforks and torches after this is all over is increasing.  The same Imperial College scientist who scared the world ten days ago when he predicted 400k dead Britons, 18 months of lockdown and peak infection in three months requiring 30x the supply of critical beds available in Britain now says just ten days later?  Deaths in the UK are unlikely to exceed 20k and could be much lower.  That's flu territory.

So, the big changes in his model?  He didn't include any widespread testing but now sees it is possible.  And it now appears from data out of Europe that the virus is more infectious than he modelled 10 days ago, meaning far more people are infected now that he modelled, decreasing the severity of the bug.  He also assumes most people are not asymptomatic.

That second article on his change of heart has him specifically mentioning the Oxford analysis.  It looks like the doomsday assumptions are being tested.  Go Oxford.  I sure hope they are right.

EDIT:  A small correction.  His original model said up to 510k dead in Britain and 2.2 million in the US.  He's also the modelling behind the covidactnow.com website.  Hmm... We're up for a very interesting two weeks.

And of that 20K, he says that half of them would have likely died by the end of the year regardless due to age.

Yes, that's quite a reversal in only ten days.  It will be very interesting to see how the next ten days go.

Just came across this clarification from Mr Ferguson, which suggests it's not so much a reversal:
https://twitter.com/neil_ferguson/status/1243294815200124928?s=19

Offline OzJohnnie

• All-American
  • Lager, mate?
    • View Profile
    • Johnnies Football
« Reply #98572 on: March 26, 2020, 11:32:18 pm »
Ah, the robust twitter defense.  I wonder how he can make any sort of conclusion (particularly by a factor greater than 10) on the effectiveness of controls that have been in place for only two days.  They haven't had time to demonstrate results yet.  It's got to be pure guesswork.  In which case it makes you wonder what he was willing to guess about with his 'everyone dies' predictions.  I guess that's why the Oxford crew expressed surprise that his model was so unquestioningly accepted.

For what it's worth, Dr Birx, who is coordinating the response, said today that facts on the ground don't match the models.

ďSo these are the things we are looking at, because the predictions of the model donít match the reality on the ground in China, South Korea or Italy. We are five times the size of Italy. If we were Italy and did all those divisions, Italy should have close to 400,000 deaths. They are not close to achieving that. Models are models. We are ó there is enough data of the real experience with the coronavirus on the ground to really make these predictions much more sound. So when people start talking about 20% of a population getting infected, itís very scary, but we donít have data that matches that based on our experience.Ē

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0h3LdN_zXE
[  

Offline sjusection105

• All-American
  • Toga! Toga! Toga!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98573 on: March 27, 2020, 07:25:41 am »
For what it's worth, Dr Birx, who is coordinating the response, said today that facts on the ground don't match the models.

ďSo these are the things we are looking at, because the predictions of the model donít match the reality on the ground in China, South Korea or Italy. We are five times the size of Italy. If we were Italy and did all those divisions, Italy should have close to 400,000 deaths. They are not close to achieving that. Models are models. We are ó there is enough data of the real experience with the coronavirus on the ground to really make these predictions much more sound. So when people start talking about 20% of a population getting infected, itís very scary, but we donít have data that matches that based on our experience.Ē

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0h3LdN_zXE
When this is over & a vaccine is developed there will be time to reflect. We have been told by Governor Walz that MN could have as high as a 70% infection rate. 
Then there is the carve out of essential businesses/services, of which I am part of. A WCCO reporter asked why are  there 6 pages of essential services/businesses.
I certainly don't know the answers, but it makes you wonder. Our CEO sent us an email with a video message last Friday 3-20-20 which was nearly identical to the Governor's announcement (only specific to our industry) which was released 3-25-20. There had to be advance information shared so the specific industries could write guidelines of who in each industry is essential and who within that industry should indeed stay home. We certainly are not "business as usual" only about 1/3 of our staff is deemed essential.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 07:34:11 am by sjusection105 »
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

Offline OzJohnnie

• All-American
  • Lager, mate?
    • View Profile
    • Johnnies Football
« Reply #98574 on: March 27, 2020, 07:52:04 am »
[  

Offline jamtod

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #98575 on: March 27, 2020, 08:12:41 am »
Ah, the robust twitter defense

It's fine that you don't like Twitter but when you (and many) observe something as a major reversal, and then the person behind the research says "no, it's not a reversal" it's worth reading, Twitter or not.

The heavily imposed restrictions in the UK have been short, but just as here in Minnesota, life has changed for several weeks, per folks I know over there.

Offline OzJohnnie

• All-American
  • Lager, mate?
    • View Profile
    • Johnnies Football
« Reply #98576 on: March 27, 2020, 09:15:57 am »
Ah, the robust twitter defense

It's fine that you don't like Twitter but when you (and many) observe something as a major reversal, and then the person behind the research says "no, it's not a reversal" it's worth reading, Twitter or not.

The heavily imposed restrictions in the UK have been short, but just as here in Minnesota, life has changed for several weeks, per folks I know over there.

I reversal with substantial criticism from qualified sources.  Expecting similar in return.
[  

Offline hazzben

• All-American
  • "I'm your huckleberry"
    • View Profile
« Reply #98577 on: March 27, 2020, 04:27:08 pm »

Yeah, I agree.  I reckon they are lying their backsides off.  Have been since day one.  The pros need to use medical data out of the EU and NA.  Can't trust anything else to be accurate.

Yeah, China has been pretty shady about this from the start. The original doctor who sounded the alarm, in the face of the Chinese Gov't saying "shut up, or else" ... was eventually proved to be dead on. And now he's dead from the virus. I think China has significantly suppressed their numbers and the rate of transmission. It's also part of why the WHO and other gov't bodies were slower to react.

The virus doesn't discriminate. Everyone wants a scapegoat, but what do the governments, leadership, and healthcare systems of China, US, Italy, Spain, France, Iran, etc. have in common? Not much that I can tell, and yet they've all taken it in the teeth. Stay safe folks.

Offline OzJohnnie

• All-American
  • Lager, mate?
    • View Profile
    • Johnnies Football
« Reply #98578 on: March 27, 2020, 05:30:38 pm »
The coronavirus has put MacMurray out of business, or tipped them over a precarious edge at least.  This is something to keep a very close eye on.  This bug and lockdown is may have a devastating effect on higher education.  As with every other part of the economy.

https://www.d3sports.com/notables/2020/03/macmurray-closing-down-at-years-end
[  

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #98579 on: March 27, 2020, 05:36:23 pm »
Yeah. They had to raise a ton of money just to be open this year, so I'm sure this was inevitable, probably even this year, without the virus. But these schools which are forced to reimburse for room and board are taking a big hit because that's a money-maker for most.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.