Author Topic: FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference  (Read 10361271 times)

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
Re: FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
« Reply #100065 on: September 11, 2020, 08:17:11 pm »
My words exactly Sagatagsam.  Nice to see not everybody is drinking the koolaid.  PS...there absolutely is no science behind the use of masks.  Ding me if you want.

This is total BS.  Not only is there science, there is also common sense.  The coronavirus spreads (mainly) by airborne transmission (i.e., by exhalations of infected people, whether or not they show symptoms).  Masks protect the mask-wearer to a degree (less airborne particles received), but they are more for avoiding transmission to others - some of us value the lives of other people.  As a Trump supporter, I assume you don't. ::)

This post was perfectly reasonable up until the last sentence. You know that isn't necessary, Mr. Y.  >:(
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #100066 on: September 11, 2020, 09:18:36 pm »
My words exactly Sagatagsam.  Nice to see not everybody is drinking the koolaid.  PS...there absolutely is no science behind the use of masks.  Ding me if you want.

This is total BS.  Not only is there science, there is also common sense.  The coronavirus spreads (mainly) by airborne transmission (i.e., by exhalations of infected people, whether or not they show symptoms).  Masks protect the mask-wearer to a degree (less airborne particles received), but they are more for avoiding transmission to others - some of us value the lives of other people.  As a Trump supporter, I assume you don't. ::)

This post was perfectly reasonable up until the last sentence. You know that isn't necessary, Mr. Y.  >:(

Yeah, Pat, I apologize and retract that sentence.  I just get so frustrated at anti-mask, anti-social-distancing people.  I don't LIKE wearing a mask, either, but recognize its importance.

Offline MUC57

• All-American
  • "PURPLE RAIDERS"
    • View Profile
« Reply #100067 on: September 12, 2020, 06:35:03 pm »

Watched "real" football games on TV today. Rah! 🏈  8-)  ;D
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Offline OzJohnnie

• All-American
  • Lager, mate?
    • View Profile
    • Johnnies Football
« Reply #100068 on: September 12, 2020, 11:52:41 pm »
OOOOoooh, relief in Melbourne!  Curfew has been eased to 9pm to 5am from the previous 8pm to 5pm and we now get to leave the house for 2 hours a day!  Even better, singles who have been in complete isolation now for over 50 days can register one nominated person with the gov't who will be allowed to visit (face masks on and subject to warrantless checks, of course!) for up to 1 hour per day!

We had 50 infections in the whole state of 7 million people yesterday.  50 infections spread almost exclusively between patients and staff in aged care and hospitals.

Anyone who doesn't think Joe Q Citizen is unable to socially distance and stay home when sick all on their own... this is the nightmare.  I'm living in it.
[  

Offline faunch

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #100069 on: September 13, 2020, 12:16:37 am »
Johnnies beat Whitworth 45-10 to move to 2-0 on the season. Next week a trip to the Jake.

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

Offline OzJohnnie

• All-American
  • Lager, mate?
    • View Profile
    • Johnnies Football
« Reply #100070 on: September 15, 2020, 07:01:11 am »
Did Bartch get a snap?  I don't think so but the participation reports I've been able to locate aren't too flash.   Anyone in a fantasy league that has access to those stats?
[  

Offline SJUrube

• Starter
  • www.Twitter.com/ccfMRF
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #100071 on: September 15, 2020, 10:12:20 am »
Did Bartch get a snap?  I don't think so but the participation reports I've been able to locate aren't too flash.   Anyone in a fantasy league that has access to those stats?

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/sports/nfl/2020/09/14/jaguars-rookies-handle-heavy-workload-victory-over-colts/5796352002/
"....and guard Ben Bartch had five special-teams snaps."

There was a brief video posted on Twitter of the Jags kicker celebrating a made kick and you can see Bartch flash across the screen at the start.
https://twitter.com/D3FBHuddle/status/1305317724256690176

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #100072 on: September 15, 2020, 01:38:57 pm »

I always go to NFL.com for these things, but they may be available elsewhere. Look for the Gamebook PDF link:
https://www.nfl.com/games/colts-at-jaguars-2020-reg-1

This will give you the detail on snaps played. I have used it a lot in tracking the D-III guys over the past 10 years or so.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline SagatagSam

• All-Region
  • Long Live the Red Party Cup!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100073 on: September 15, 2020, 03:04:46 pm »

I always go to NFL.com for these things, but they may be available elsewhere. Look for the Gamebook PDF link:
https://www.nfl.com/games/colts-at-jaguars-2020-reg-1

This will give you the detail on snaps played. I have used it a lot in tracking the D-III guys over the past 10 years or so.

Yep, Gamebook confirms 5 snaps. That's awesome.
Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright.

Offline OzJohnnie

• All-American
  • Lager, mate?
    • View Profile
    • Johnnies Football
« Reply #100074 on: September 15, 2020, 05:48:24 pm »
Just had this passed on to me by my daughter at Penn State (she stayed for another semester because why return here like it is?).  Big 10 football back on.  Announcement tonight.  This hot mic moment was caught from the Nebraska Chancellor.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFKd8akJAJx/?igshid=d6ykhxkfy4vd

(I sure hope that pickup is accurate)

EDIT: This ESPN article confirms the pickup was accurate but a lot of hemming and hawing about whether play will really be back on.  https://www.espn.com.au/college-football/story/_/id/29892098/nebraska-official-caught-hot-mic-saying-big-ten-football-decision-coming-tuesday
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 06:01:01 pm by OzJohnnie »
[  

Offline Texas Ole

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #100075 on: September 15, 2020, 06:22:32 pm »
Football is not a huge moneymaker for the schools.  Funds earned through related athletic activities does move the needle in a dramatic form.  Programs were being dropped, and that didn't sit well with others.  Add to that the possibility of transfers and other unintended consequences, and you might see the Big Ten fall way behind other P5 conferences.  I get the Pac 12 not wanting to play.  They have socially distanced themselves from the playoff the last few years.  Outside of Ohio State and one year of Michigan State the Big Ten has socially distanced themselves from the playoff.  That can't sit well with the conference. 

Prior to expansion the Big Ten was a conference where the conference was more important than the individuals.  Nebraska changed that thinking.  There seems to be a lot of smoke with the Big Ten returning to play, and where there is this much smoke there is likely some fire.  The question is how long will it take the schools to ramp up to game ready.  I am thinking 3 weeks so games starting maybe on Oct 17?

What impact will this have on other sports?  I don't think the MIAC will bring back sports earlier than January, but this has to be a positive for the conference in regards to spring sports.  I don't know if anyone has noticed, but St. Olaf has hired numerous coaches.  Either the athletics department loves burning money, or they have a pretty good idea as to when the MIAC will play again.

Offline sjusection105

• All-American
  • Toga! Toga! Toga!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100076 on: September 15, 2020, 07:49:30 pm »
What impact will this have on other sports?  I don't think the MIAC will bring back sports earlier than January, but this has to be a positive for the conference in regards to spring sports. 

If the Gophers play football the spotlight will be on the Minnesota State High School League. Wisconsin,Iowa & the Dakotas are playing high school football so there will be a lot of discussion if the Big 10 plays. I don't think the other college conferences within Minnesota will be swayed by the Big 10.
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

Offline GoldandBlueBU

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #100077 on: September 16, 2020, 08:45:18 am »
What impact will this have on other sports?  I don't think the MIAC will bring back sports earlier than January, but this has to be a positive for the conference in regards to spring sports. 

If the Gophers play football the spotlight will be on the Minnesota State High School League. Wisconsin,Iowa & the Dakotas are playing high school football so there will be a lot of discussion if the Big 10 plays. I don't think the other college conferences within Minnesota will be swayed by the Big 10.

It looks like there is some smoke in the vicinity of the MSHSL as well...  https://www.startribune.com/game-back-on-mshsl-set-to-consider-fall-football-volleyball/572422152/

Offline hazzben

• All-American
  • "I'm your huckleberry"
    • View Profile
« Reply #100078 on: September 16, 2020, 09:51:24 am »
They have socially distanced themselves from the playoff the last few years. 

This line made me laugh

It looks like there is some smoke in the vicinity of the MSHSL as well...  https://www.startribune.com/game-back-on-mshsl-set-to-consider-fall-football-volleyball/572422152/

Minnesota and Illinois are the only two states not on the coasts that aren't playing Fall sports. I was talking to one of the main guys at the MSHSL after our son's youth football game Saturday. They are feeling the heat...and they should be. They completely mishandled this. Essentially, the football subcommittee strongly recommended fall sports/football. That recommendation was never relayed to the larger committee. There are time stamped emails that are pretty damning that reveal there were people working to nix football before it ever got before the committee for the vote.

It's a cluster. MSHSL deserves every bit of heat they are getting. Spring football ... except for any school without a turf field, since they'll be frozen ... and now we are asking kids to play football seasons within 3 months of each other ... and we don't have enough time to get helmets reconditioned for the fall 2021 season. One. Big. Cluster.

Offline miac952

• All-Conference
    • View Profile
« Reply #100079 on: September 16, 2020, 11:01:45 am »
I really don’t get the MSHSL decision making either. It seems apathetic and lazy on their part. They decided it was ok to do soccer but not football. It was ok to practice football for a couple weeks, but not do games. And the idea for spring was half brained from the start. Most fields will be either frozen or underwater. The seniors with college aspirations won’t want to risk injury. And others will have conflicts with other sports. The safety aspect of two football season within a six month window seems to have been neglected as well. It seemed like it was a way to pas the buck and inevitably cancel the season outright in the spring. Really a poor effort by MSHSL. All involved in this decision deserve all the ridicule they are getting, including the Johnnie alumnus at the helm  ;D

It seems they came at it from the approach of “Let’s find ways to postpone or cancel this.” A few constructive planning sessions could have sorted out minimizing risk in locker rooms and with transportation. And to add to it all we get the condescending tweets from their PR mouthpiece, John Millea, throughout it all, belittling opposing views.

We also shouldn’t forget that football, like many activities, is a lifeline for disadvantaged and troubled youth. The structure and discipline it provides keep kids from doing other activities with negative consequences.