Author Topic: FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference  (Read 10490380 times)

Offline Texas Ole

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
« Reply #100080 on: September 16, 2020, 11:51:21 am »
What impact will this have on other sports?  I don't think the MIAC will bring back sports earlier than January, but this has to be a positive for the conference in regards to spring sports. 

If the Gophers play football the spotlight will be on the Minnesota State High School League. Wisconsin,Iowa & the Dakotas are playing high school football so there will be a lot of discussion if the Big 10 plays. I don't think the other college conferences within Minnesota will be swayed by the Big 10.

It looks like there is some smoke in the vicinity of the MSHSL as well...  https://www.startribune.com/game-back-on-mshsl-set-to-consider-fall-football-volleyball/572422152/

I can't see the MIAC playing any fall sports.  A few schools have already said they aren't playing this fall regardless of any developments.  I have a little more hope for winter and spring sports, but I can also see some people torpedoing those sports seasons.

Offline OzJohnnie

• All-American
  • Lager, mate?
    • View Profile
    • Johnnies Football
« Reply #100081 on: September 16, 2020, 04:34:03 pm »
Just had this passed on to me by my daughter at Penn State (she stayed for another semester because why return here like it is?).  Big 10 football back on.  Announcement tonight.  This hot mic moment was caught from the Nebraska Chancellor.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFKd8akJAJx/?igshid=d6ykhxkfy4vd

(I sure hope that pickup is accurate)

EDIT: This ESPN article confirms the pickup was accurate but a lot of hemming and hawing about whether play will really be back on.  https://www.espn.com.au/college-football/story/_/id/29892098/nebraska-official-caught-hot-mic-saying-big-ten-football-decision-coming-tuesday

And it's back!  Nebraska man was giving the good scuttlebutt.  The big 10 opens play in just over four weeks on Oct 24th.

Now we just need the soft-as-butter MSHSL administration harridans to stop clutching their pearls and let the kids play.  I have no hope that the Brave Sir Robins who administer D3 will reverse course.  There is far more faculty lounge cred in being obstinately wrong-headed for the cause than their is in introspection which leads to reversing course so that people can live life on their own terms.
[  

Offline OzJohnnie

• All-American
  • Lager, mate?
    • View Profile
    • Johnnies Football
« Reply #100082 on: September 18, 2020, 04:59:54 am »
A tiny snippet of Bartch in the highlights.  He's lined up at left tackle for the FG.  And has three men trying to bully over him.  Holds firm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a_e8YhmSwM&feature=youtu.be&t=634

[  

Offline SagatagSam

• All-Region
  • Long Live the Red Party Cup!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100083 on: September 18, 2020, 10:05:40 am »
My, oh my, how big decisions can change over the course of a month. These SEC Shorts videos are pretty funny, first poking fun at the B1G's decision not to play and then doing an about face and rebooting the season.

Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright.

Offline Robert Zimmerman

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #100084 on: September 18, 2020, 06:30:11 pm »
Covid is spreading at SJU, about 50 cases in a pretty short time. Entire Pat and Bonnie dorms have to be tested. Rumor is that it has spread on the football team and a women's varsity sport.

Offline OzJohnnie

• All-American
  • Lager, mate?
    • View Profile
    • Johnnies Football
« Reply #100085 on: September 18, 2020, 06:46:12 pm »
Covid is spreading at SJU, about 50 cases in a pretty short time. Entire Pat and Bonnie dorms have to be tested. Rumor is that it has spread on the football team and a women's varsity sport.

It went through Penn State like a crashing wave the last three weeks and it is already coming off the peak.  According to their dashboard they have 1371 confirmed positive infections out of about 42k students.  That doesn't include contacts also in isolation (if one roommate gets a positive then all roommates sit out the quarantine together, even if the others never take a test.  Almost like the chickenpox approach with kids, it looks to me).  Including contacts who have isolated but not tested then that number is likely three times higher.

My daughter just finished her 10 day stay-at-home from her infection.  She didn't take a test but her roommate tested positive so they both got the order.  Day one was a regular flu-like symptom of general miserableness.  Day two was a headache and tired, no fever.  Day three was tired.  Day four was near 100%.  And day five+ was complete boredom.  She said we sent her to school with worse.

Anyways, Big 10 football is back on, the virus will sweep through the student population before games begin and the good times will roll in as play starts.  Couldn't have timed it better.
[  

Offline Texas Ole

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #100086 on: September 18, 2020, 07:05:47 pm »

It went through Penn State like a crashing wave the last three weeks and it is already coming off the peak.  According to their dashboard they have 1371 confirmed positive infections out of about 42k students.  That doesn't include contacts also in isolation (if one roommate gets a positive then all roommates sit out the quarantine together, even if the others never take a test.  Almost like the chickenpox approach with kids, it looks to me).  Including contacts who have isolated but not tested then that number is likely three times higher.

My daughter just finished her 10 day stay-at-home from her infection.  She didn't take a test but her roommate tested positive so they both got the order.  Day one was a regular flu-like symptom of general miserableness.  Day two was a headache and tired, no fever.  Day three was tired.  Day four was near 100%.  And day five+ was complete boredom.  She said we sent her to school with worse.

Anyways, Big 10 football is back on, the virus will sweep through the student population before games begin and the good times will roll in as play starts.  Couldn't have timed it better.

There are going to be some with very similar stories.  There will be others with milder and more severe issues with the virus.  I think we are moving closer to herd immunity, and it may happen before a vaccine reaches the market.  I do think we will have a vaccine first, but it may not matter if many have already caught the virus.  We cannot control a virus.  It doesn't know human boundaries.  We can contain it to a certain level.  I believe once it runs its course through a community it will start phase itself out when it can no longer find the hosts that it needs to survive.

I am probably more disappointed in no MIAC football than anyone.  I had planned on attending my first set of games in almost a decade.  I do think the MIAC made a good decision to postpone sports for the fall.  It has the potential to fly through these campuses, and with the smaller towns that could overwhelm the local care facilities.  The failure in my opinion has to do with the bubble approach that some schools are taking.  They want to create a bubble similar to what the NBA has done, but it isn't possible.  There are too many holes with professors and support staff being off campus.  Even worse is the zero tolerance approach from some schools.  That concerns me. 

Offline OzJohnnie

• All-American
  • Lager, mate?
    • View Profile
    • Johnnies Football
« Reply #100087 on: September 18, 2020, 07:09:13 pm »
If anyone is wondering how it can taper off so quickly, I only have anecdote but it all leads to the improbable answer that college students aren't complete morons.

When all the students got back (my daughter lives off-campus as does 99% of the senior students) they were happy to see each other, lots of gatherings and partied hard.  First week back, there were just a handful of infections.  Parties continued.  Week two, about 350 students tested positive.  And parties really tapered back.  Week three, almost 700 tested positive (exponential growth!!!11!1!) and frat row became a ghost town.  Everyone stayed home and social distanced.  Week four, only 320 positives.

Students want to stay at school.  So they choose to social distance themselves.  At least this is how it appears.  Parties are starting again but they are smallish and limited to people who know each other.  And if you haven't had the 'rona then it's hard to find a party which will let you in.  At least off-campus.
[  

Offline OzJohnnie

• All-American
  • Lager, mate?
    • View Profile
    • Johnnies Football
« Reply #100088 on: September 18, 2020, 07:48:21 pm »
Heh. There are some bitter, twisted souls on PP boards.  Two people pinged me for mentioning my daughter had the ‘rona. Some folks are in desperate need of stress outlets because a ceaseless tilting at the windmill does nothing but build up that knot of anxiety.  Let it go. It will be alright. Get on and enjoy life.
[  

Offline repete

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #100089 on: September 21, 2020, 01:47:38 pm »
HS volleyball back. Football practice starts Sept. 28, first games Oct. 9-10, six-game regular season, two-week postseason, format to be determined.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 01:51:20 pm by repete »

Offline MUC57

• All-American
  • "PURPLE RAIDERS"
    • View Profile
« Reply #100090 on: September 21, 2020, 03:20:20 pm »
HS volleyball back. Football practice starts Sept. 28, first games Oct. 9-10, six-game regular season, two-week postseason, format to be determined.

repete

Is this in Minnesota somewhere? You'll have to excuse me, I live in Ohio and went to Mount Union.
HS football is being played around here. Just curious. Thanks! Stay safe. 🏈 😷 ⁉️
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Offline repete

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #100091 on: September 21, 2020, 03:30:32 pm »
MUC: It is just the latest from Minn. High school league voted today, an pretty overwhelmingly it seems.

Offline MUC57

• All-American
  • "PURPLE RAIDERS"
    • View Profile
« Reply #100092 on: September 21, 2020, 05:35:41 pm »

repete

Thanks. Go High Schools! 🏈  ;D
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Offline OzJohnnie

• All-American
  • Lager, mate?
    • View Profile
    • Johnnies Football
« Reply #100093 on: September 21, 2020, 10:46:25 pm »

Hey, that's spectacular.  Here's the press release.

https://www.mshsl.org/about/news/league-news/board-directors-approve-returning-volleyball-football-fall-season

The plan, which fits within COVID-19 guidance of the Minnesota Department of Health, will have an approved football season beginning on Sept. 28 with the first of six regular season games scheduled for the week of Oct. 5. Since Sept. 14, member schools have had the option of participating in fall training sessions. In the framework that was adopted by the Board of Directors, a planned two-week football postseason will begin the week of Nov. 16.

And the events around the decision.

In a vote on Aug. 4, the board approved postponing football and volleyball until a spring season. But on Wednesday, Sept. 16, a day after a lengthy board workshop, Novak called for a special meeting of the Board of Directors to give reconsideration of returning the two activities to their traditional fall seasons. During the workshop, MDH shared updated information on COVID-19 analytics, spread and prevention.

It looks like reason is prevailing.  Thank goodness.  I was pretty worried.  Now let's just hope Australia comes around.  Victoria has just passed Wuhan for the longest and strictest lockdown over covid.  108 days.
[  

Offline emma17

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #100094 on: September 22, 2020, 11:15:48 am »

Hey, that's spectacular.  Here's the press release.

https://www.mshsl.org/about/news/league-news/board-directors-approve-returning-volleyball-football-fall-season

The plan, which fits within COVID-19 guidance of the Minnesota Department of Health, will have an approved football season beginning on Sept. 28 with the first of six regular season games scheduled for the week of Oct. 5. Since Sept. 14, member schools have had the option of participating in fall training sessions. In the framework that was adopted by the Board of Directors, a planned two-week football postseason will begin the week of Nov. 16.

And the events around the decision.

In a vote on Aug. 4, the board approved postponing football and volleyball until a spring season. But on Wednesday, Sept. 16, a day after a lengthy board workshop, Novak called for a special meeting of the Board of Directors to give reconsideration of returning the two activities to their traditional fall seasons. During the workshop, MDH shared updated information on COVID-19 analytics, spread and prevention.

It looks like reason is prevailing.  Thank goodness.  I was pretty worried.  Now let's just hope Australia comes around.  Victoria has just passed Wuhan for the longest and strictest lockdown over covid.  108 days.

Oz, if Victoria can justify 108 days given the current death rate, I don’t see how they open the borders to N America w the upcoming flu season. You may not see the light of day until the Easter Bunny comes.