Author Topic: FB: USA South Athletic Conference  (Read 1446751 times)

Offline Wild Horse Rider

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
Re: FB: USA South Athletic Conference
« Reply #12000 on: April 05, 2021, 09:54:48 am »
Huntingdon was the better team most of the afternoon.  The Hawks ran the ball at will and the Monarchs could not sustain anything on the ground.  I do wonder if the 61 yard TD pass in the 2nd that was called back for an unsportsman like penalty had stood if the outcome might have been different or at least closer.  TD is wiped off the board and three plays later MU fumbles the ball which the Hawks recovered.  In either case 3 players rushing for over 100 yards in a non wing-T/triple option offense is very impressive.  The absolute back breaker was the 9 minute drive that resulted in a FG by the Hawks to start the 4th.  That made it a 10 point game and the way Huntington was running the ball almost unsurmountable.  I was scratching my head at the 2 point conversion by Methodist at the end as well as the onside kick. 

Best of luck to all in the shortened offseason and here's to a more "normal" looking 2021 Fall season.

Offline Subway Alum

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12001 on: April 06, 2021, 03:28:39 pm »
Congratulations to Huntingdon on the spring football title.  I'm also looking forward to to fall and what will ideally be a full schedule. . . . But Brevard, after taking care of N. C. Wesleyan to stay undefeated on their new campus field, still has Sewanee (there) on April 10. I'm looking forward to that one as the Tornados look to go 5-1 for the spring. It's a great opportunity for Brevard to play another historically-storied program on a classic campus. Two years ago it was a solid win in an ECAC bowl game at Carnegie-Mellon. Brevard coach Bill Khayat, who came on board with the move to Division III, and his staff are building a fine program at BC. It's a real departure from the disappointments of too many outclassed seasons in Division II (SAC) after football was reintroduced at Brevard in 2005. . . .  I watched some of the Sewanee stream against Greensboro on Saturday and expect it will be an honor for Brevard to play on the field there with all the traditions of Sewanee football. But unless the Tornados bury themselves with penalties--which seems to be the team's biggest weakness this spring--their defense and an offense that has seemed to have just enough to get it done this spring, ought to come away with another win to add to BC's growing Division III success.

Offline DGPugh

• Starter
  • Retired to the Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12002 on: April 06, 2021, 07:58:36 pm »
Subway Alum
I hope Brevard will soundly defeats Sewanee. I always pull for our league, where ever and who ever they play, except when they play Huntingdon of course.
Congrats on yalls fine season
keep the faith
"Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devilís schemes." 
 Ephesians 6:11

Offline ITH radio

• All-Region
  • We cover East Region D3FB
    • View Profile
    • Season XI
« Reply #12003 on: April 07, 2021, 10:11:07 am »
We will be releasing our interview with Coach Khayat about the USA South title game controversy and his thoughts on the spring season in a few hours. I'll post the links here when they're up.

It's been great covering the USAC this season. Definitely some great games/schools involved.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Offline ITH radio

• All-Region
    • View Profile
    • Season XI
« Reply #12004 on: April 07, 2021, 01:42:02 pm »
https://fb.watch/4JG3yE_9Bb/ - interview with HC Bill Khayat of Brevard about this spring season's USA South championship tiebreaker confusion / controversy.

Offline DGPugh

• Starter
  • Retired to the Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12005 on: April 07, 2021, 04:00:54 pm »
^^ great show. Real good discussion. The Coach seems to be the real deal.
With him at the helm, Brevard College will be a really tough team from here on out.
Thanks
keep the faith  :)
"Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devilís schemes." 
 Ephesians 6:11

Offline ITH radio

• All-Region
    • View Profile
    • Season XI
« Reply #12006 on: April 08, 2021, 12:09:44 pm »
DGP - thanks!

"Off the air" he let us know about his background - dad was a NFL player on the 1960 Eagles championship team. Really smart and articulate guy. He's definitely going to make BC a top program in the USAC, if not the South Region, really soon.

Offline Subway Alum

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12007 on: April 09, 2021, 11:35:10 am »
Thanks for the informative coverage.  I just hope BC will be able to keep Coach Khayat for a while longer. He's so well-spoken and humble, especially compared to the self-promoters who land a lot of Division I-A jobs. . .  The point about only 17 players on the team when he came aboard in 2017 was especially telling in what he, the other coaches (some of them his former players), and the dedicated players he's brought to Brevard over four years have been able to accomplish. It's pretty clear that the third spring 2021 Brevard-Huntingdon game will never take place, but it looks like there will be a full fall season--Brevard will get their shot then.