Author Topic: MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference  (Read 1851992 times)

Offline hopefan

• All-American
    • View Profile
Re: MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
« Reply #16710 on: July 19, 2019, 10:51:08 am »
Posted is the commitment list for GU.  Tons of 6' - 6'3" kids from all over the country.   This is a 20 man class.  Dr. Barber often says that when running the system, you need to "double everything".  I think this is clearly a doubling of the size of an incomming class.  This was needed, especially with only a 4 man class last year. 

http://athletics.greenville.edu/sports/mbkb/Men-s_Basketball_Commitments

I'm hoping one or two of them will turn out to have a career like this 2019 grad.  fingers crossed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T99XYQMUH0w&feature=youtu.be

A lot of kids... has to have many of the other SLIAC coaches drooling, if for nothing else, just the amount of kids coming in.. and as has been the usual, looking very athletic... jc kids with experience, a number of the HS kids out of big schools...  GC really has it going... under most circumstances, I'd complain about over recruiting, too many kids never getting a chance.. but with the system, heck, likely 75% of these guys will get a legit chance to prove they should see varsity action...And Ryan, yes, GC has been playing JV games regularly....

It doesn't matter whether the System continues to be successful on the court or not, the admissions department is never going to let them get rid of it.

Ryan... wish you, Pat, Dave and the rest of the crew could get to Greenville to see a game... it really is a quintessential small college campus in the midwest...small town that pretty much revolves around the small college... the SLIAC has 7 schools like that, Eureka, Westminster, Blackburn, MacMurray (though They have to share Jacksonville with Illinois College), Iowa Wesleyan, Principia, along with Greenville... now that I'm gone, I miss it even more than I imagined....

Offline hopefan

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #16711 on: July 19, 2019, 10:58:28 am »
Rating what is coming back in the SLIAC from the 2019 season (or rather, what should be coming back) is a difficult task.  Some of last year's weaker teams have quite a bit back, but will they be any better relative to the rest of the conference with the same players?  On the other hand, some of the better teams lose some significant contributors, but the players coming back may still be able to carry their team and the required new faces.
So, with NO consideration of new faces, here's a rating and writeup, bottom to top, of what each team lost and returned in the SLIAC going into the 2019-20 season.

These writeups will appear one at a time over time... to build up the suspense for our readers... ;D ;D ;D

10) Principia….  All-Region Micah Paulson graduates along with 6th man Evan Eisenauer…. 64% of points, 85% of rebounds comes back, but given Prin’s use of only 7 players on a regular basis and the loss of do-everything Micah Paulson (26.6 ppg, 4 rpg, 3 apg), a huge gap exists for Prin.  They do return one of the most talented players in the league in Trevaughn Goodman (20.4 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 4 apg), but with defenses no longer having to worry about Paulson, it's going to be very tough for Goodman to carry the load himself.  He does get help from Clark Davidson who had an excellent frosh season (12.7 ppg, 8.8 rpg), but he seems to be a work-aholic kind of player rather than a creator.  Brennan Paulson returns, but he and others returning, Zach Matters, Nate Braningham, Kevin Wingert haven't shown they'll be able to contribute much.  Beyond that, there is literally no one with playing experience.  It could be a very tough season for Prin unless new faces add.... a lot.   Prin was 6-19, 5-13 with Micah Paulson, I can't see things getting better without him....

Offline y_jack_lok

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #16712 on: July 19, 2019, 02:46:23 pm »
Okay, I'm going to take a stab at the order of the hopefan pre-season rankings:

10) Prin
9) Iowa Wes
8) Mac
7) Blackburn
6) Westminster
5) Fontbonne
4) Spalding
3) Eureka
2) Greenville
1) Webster

You provided #10. I think #1 and #2 are pretty easy, as are #8 and #9 (though they might be reversed). But 3-7 could go a number of different ways. You can offer up some teasing comments, hopefan, to get me second guessing myself, but I'll gladly wait for them to be revealed over time.

Offline hopefan

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #16713 on: July 19, 2019, 05:34:38 pm »
Okay, I'm going to take a stab at the order of the hopefan pre-season rankings:

10) Prin
9) Iowa Wes
8) Mac
7) Blackburn
6) Westminster
5) Fontbonne
4) Spalding
3) Eureka
2) Greenville
1) Webster

You provided #10. I think #1 and #2 are pretty easy, as are #8 and #9 (though they might be reversed). But 3-7 could go a number of different ways. You can offer up some teasing comments, hopefan, to get me second guessing myself, but I'll gladly wait for them to be revealed over time.

Wait though, mine is a rating only of what is coming back, not necessarily how the teams will finish in the standings given all other contributing factors....

Offline y_jack_lok

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #16714 on: July 19, 2019, 05:59:36 pm »
Oh. Well, no big deal. I'll stick with my #1 and your #10 and since I don't know the players like you do I'll just leave my guesses in place but assume my #s 2-9 are off -- though I may accidentalyy have put a couple of them in the same spot you will.

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #16715 on: July 19, 2019, 10:42:07 pm »
Posted is the commitment list for GU.  Tons of 6' - 6'3" kids from all over the country.   This is a 20 man class.  Dr. Barber often says that when running the system, you need to "double everything".  I think this is clearly a doubling of the size of an incomming class.  This was needed, especially with only a 4 man class last year. 

http://athletics.greenville.edu/sports/mbkb/Men-s_Basketball_Commitments

I'm hoping one or two of them will turn out to have a career like this 2019 grad.  fingers crossed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T99XYQMUH0w&feature=youtu.be

A lot of kids... has to have many of the other SLIAC coaches drooling, if for nothing else, just the amount of kids coming in.. and as has been the usual, looking very athletic... jc kids with experience, a number of the HS kids out of big schools...  GC really has it going... under most circumstances, I'd complain about over recruiting, too many kids never getting a chance.. but with the system, heck, likely 75% of these guys will get a legit chance to prove they should see varsity action...And Ryan, yes, GC has been playing JV games regularly....

It doesn't matter whether the System continues to be successful on the court or not, the admissions department is never going to let them get rid of it.

Ryan... wish you, Pat, Dave and the rest of the crew could get to Greenville to see a game... it really is a quintessential small college campus in the midwest...small town that pretty much revolves around the small college... the SLIAC has 7 schools like that, Eureka, Westminster, Blackburn, MacMurray (though They have to share Jacksonville with Illinois College), Iowa Wesleyan, Principia, along with Greenville... now that I'm gone, I miss it even more than I imagined....

I wish I could! It's so far from ... like everything. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #16716 on: Yesterday at 11:51:14 am »
I've driven by on I-70 a few times.  I'd definitely stop and check in on Dr. Barber if I passed by again.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere