Author Topic: MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association  (Read 2491367 times)

Offline Flying Dutch Fan

• All-American
  • Spera in Deo
    • View Profile
Re: MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association
« Reply #33660 on: March 13, 2012, 10:29:34 am »
Good year for the MIAA - David Krombeen named d3hoops Great Lakes Player of the Year on the Men's side, Carissa Verkaik gets the same honor on the Women's side. Matt Neil GL coach of the year, Nate Snuggerud also first teamer.

The NABC has also released their All-District (that's what they call it) teams and coaches.  David Krombeen is the Great Lakes POY, Nate Snuggerud is on the second team, and Matt Neil is the Great Lakes Coach of the Year.  Link below to a copy of the press release:

http://www.godiplomats.com/sports/m-baskbl/2011-12/files/2012_NABC_Division_III_All-District_Teams_and_Coaches.docx
"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Offline ziggy

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • SideLion Report
« Reply #33661 on: March 13, 2012, 11:43:40 am »
David Krombeen will play in the All-Star event that replaced the consolation game in Salem. I believe he is the third MIAA player to participate, following John Mantel and Michael McClary.

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2012/03/all-star-rosters-announced
MIAA Pick 'Em Champion - 2010, 2011
D3 Men's National Pick 'Em League Champion - 2014

SideLion Report

Offline Flying Dutch Fan

• All-American
  • Spera in Deo
    • View Profile
« Reply #33662 on: March 13, 2012, 01:57:05 pm »
Some pretty awesome and well deserved recognitions for David. 

I was just looking again at his career stats as well as Hope's all-time stats and noticed that there are only 2 players in Hope's history to reach:

1000+ points
400+ assists
200+ steals
400+ rebounds

Those players are Joel Holstege and David Krombeen.  In fact Holstege and Krombeen are 1-2 in Assists and Steals.  Most impressive to me for these point guards, is that they rebounded so well (Krombeen is in the top 10 all-time for defensive rebounds).
"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

goodknight

Offline NCF

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #33663 on: March 13, 2012, 02:00:25 pm »
Congrats to those 4 individuals.  I am sure each of them would give up any personal award to still be playing this weekend.  I expect to see DK,and CV on the final teams when they are announced.

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'"

Dang. But congratulations to those fine players and coaches.

1.That is so true!! 2. Your "picture" is just a little creepy. :)

You should see 'Dutch' in person.  :)
  I think I'll take a pass ;D ;D ;D ;D

If that's your response, so much for living a FULL life.......!!!!!!!!!!   :D

There's always the opportunity of adding this to your "Bucket" list!!! :)

1. Now you've got me interested!!!!! 2. I am living a FULL life...!!!!! and 3. Added ;D ;D ;D  Now, how do I get it done? ;D ;D ;D
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13...AND COUNTING!
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35 CHAMPIONSHIPS SINCE 1971.
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion

Offline NCF

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #33664 on: March 13, 2012, 02:01:51 pm »
Some pretty awesome and well deserved recognitions for David. 

I was just looking again at his career stats as well as Hope's all-time stats and noticed that there are only 2 players in Hope's history to reach:

1000+ points
400+ assists
200+ steals
400+ rebounds

Those players are Joel Holstege and David Krombeen.  In fact Holstege and Krombeen are 1-2 in Assists and Steals.  Most impressive to me for these point guards, is that they rebounded so well (Krombeen is in the top 10 all-time for defensive rebounds).

Those are amazing stats!Congrats to him!
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13...AND COUNTING!
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35 CHAMPIONSHIPS SINCE 1971.
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion

Offline Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

• All-American
  • Broadcaster, Announcer, Analyst, and Fan!
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #33665 on: March 13, 2012, 02:04:29 pm »
I just found out that Hope is increasing its data bandwidth to five times its current rate.  Bandwidth rates for the fall semester have yet to be determined.  This is a good omen for those who have wished that Hope provide video of basketball games.  I am not saying the will to provide video is there, but at least now the bandwidth is.

They did provide a full broadcast of the games the first weekend in the tournament. From my conversations with Hope, I am under the impression they didn't do this - or prepare - for just the NCAA. I suspect this is an investment in the future for broadcasting games and events.
Host of Hoopsville. Broadcast Director, play-by-play and analyst for D3sports.com. Public Address Announcer for Goucher Athletics since 1995. Broadcaster for Stevenson Athletics and others.
Follow me on Twitter: @d3hoopsville

Offline Happy Calvin Guy

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33666 on: March 13, 2012, 02:53:59 pm »
I just found out that Hope is increasing its data bandwidth to five times its current rate.  Bandwidth rates for the fall semester have yet to be determined.  This is a good omen for those who have wished that Hope provide video of basketball games.  I am not saying the will to provide video is there, but at least now the bandwidth is.

They did provide a full broadcast of the games the first weekend in the tournament. From my conversations with Hope, I am under the impression they didn't do this - or prepare - for just the NCAA. I suspect this is an investment in the future for broadcasting games and events.

The in-screen score and multiple (closer) camera angles gave the Hope tourney video a superior feel to the Calvin broadcasts.  In a perfect world, I'd love to see a game clock with the in-screen score, and a replay once in a while would also be nice.  The student announcers did a serviceable job, but it would also be even better to integrate the "real" broadcast from radio with the video. 

Wouldn't the video production of sporting events be a great "laboratory" for the media production majors?  We're starting from a place of minimal expectations and it's "free labor". 

Offline Flying Dutch Fan

• All-American
  • Spera in Deo
    • View Profile
« Reply #33667 on: March 13, 2012, 04:16:39 pm »
Wouldn't the video production of sporting events be a great "laboratory" for the media production majors?  We're starting from a place of minimal expectations and it's "free labor".

I believe that is exactly who produced the NCAA coverage at Hope.
John Wooden

goodknight

Offline Civic Minded

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #33668 on: March 13, 2012, 05:05:45 pm »

The in-screen score and multiple (closer) camera angles gave the Hope tourney video a superior feel to the Calvin broadcasts.  In a perfect world, I'd love to see a game clock with the in-screen score, and a replay once in a while would also be nice.  The student announcers did a serviceable job, but it would also be even better to integrate the "real" broadcast from radio with the video. 

It's my understanding that Hope is working very deliberately on this project, wanting it to be a high-quality endeavor.  That may mean (and I have no knowledge one way or the other, just a hunch), that this takes longer than being ready by next basketball season.  They seem much more concerned with doing it right than doing it fast, and I'm glad to hear that.
2014 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion  :)

Offline wiz

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #33669 on: March 13, 2012, 05:11:42 pm »

It's my understanding that Hope is working very deliberately on this project, wanting it to be a high-quality endeavor.  That may mean (and I have no knowledge one way or the other, just a hunch), that this takes longer than being ready by next basketball season.  They seem much more concerned with doing it right than doing it fast, and I'm glad to hear that.

My understanding is that this has always been in the master plan.

Offline almcguirejr

• All-Region
  • Ich bin ein Beileiner
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:20:43 pm by almcguirejr »

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
    • Speaking of Alaska - my basketball blog
« Reply #33671 on: March 14, 2012, 03:00:40 pm »
CMU avg'd 1,362 fans per home game in the 5,300 McGuirk Gymnasium
MY BLOG you should read it

...the football gods cooked up the worst possible torture imaginable for Harvey Updyke, who is 100% at fault for the way the Iron Bowl ended.

'Win the Game'

Offline gohope

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33672 on: March 14, 2012, 03:30:01 pm »
And... WMU (14-20 overall and 6-10 MAC) averaged 2,744 in attendance for 2011/2012 in their University Arena (5421). If that's a measuring stick, Steve Hawkins could be the next to follow coach Ziegler.

BTW, Hope averaged 3,259 in attendance for 2011/2012 in the DeVos Fieldhouse (3,400).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:27:17 pm by gohope »

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
    • Speaking of Alaska - my basketball blog
« Reply #33673 on: March 14, 2012, 04:23:56 pm »
And... WMU (14-20 overall and 6-10 MAC) averaged 2,744 in attendance for 2011/2012 in their University Arena (5421). If that's a measuring stick, Steve Hawkins could be the next to follow coach Ziegler.

BTW, Hope averaged 3,259 in attendance for 2011/2012 in the DeVos Fieldhouse.

The Hope game was WMU's 3rd highest attended game after CMU and Miami.

CMU--3,958
Miami--3,639
Hope--3,384
MY BLOG you should read it

...the football gods cooked up the worst possible torture imaginable for Harvey Updyke, who is 100% at fault for the way the Iron Bowl ended.

'Win the Game'

Offline knightvision

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33674 on: March 14, 2012, 05:16:39 pm »
Ernie Ziegler fired at CMU today. 
http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basketball/2012/3/14/2870979/ernie-ziegler-fired-central-michigan-basketball

...and WOTS is that Ricky Shilts (JV and varsity assistant at Calvin) was let go last week.