Author Topic: MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association  (Read 5198663 times)

Online WUPHF

• All-American
  • Bowling alone
    • View Profile
Re: MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association
« Reply #47445 on: September 13, 2019, 04:34:56 pm »
I obviously find the topic fascinating so I'll have to limit myself here, but it is an interesting time to be in enrollment management.

A few weeks ago, I was looking at a university magazine that was focused on college affordability.  A parent mentioned how he may need to mortgage his house to pay for tuition.  That magazine was from 1968.

I do remember back in 2003 or 2004, North Park made waves in the Midwest when they adjusted their tuition.  North Park currently charges over $31K which is certainly more than they were charging before the adjustment years ago.

Central College just dropped their tuition to $18K: https://news.central.edu/2019/09/central-announces-new-tuition/

That is a good way to get attention in a crowded market of liberal arts colleges, though I am not sure what would happen if every college between Buena Vista and Wartburg did the same.

Offline Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #47446 on: September 13, 2019, 05:31:08 pm »

It can be worse, guys.  I talked to a Centennial Conference coach 3-4 years ago who was complaining about losing a recruit to a conference rival.  The kid called saying, "I wish I could come, coach, but ____________ offered a better finaid package... $20,000 more... per year."
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
    • Speaking of Alaska - my basketball blog
Give to Hope
Twitter  -- words, occasional words

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
« Reply #47448 on: September 13, 2019, 11:02:49 pm »
Little news on the Hope front - TJ VanKoevering has reportedly decided to leave school (not enrolling elsewhere). And per Instagram, 2018 JV Head Coach Damon Jones has taken a role with the GR Drive as Director OG Basketball Operations.

Really tough news on TJ, wish him the best.  Was really looking forward to seeing TJ's great athletic skills at Hope College.  Best of luck to Damon Jones as well.
Give to Hope

Online WUPHF

• All-American
  • Bowling alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #47449 on: September 14, 2019, 12:08:32 am »
Timely: https://hope.edu/news/2019/campus-life/hope-president-names-free-tuition-as-top-goal-during-inaugural-address.html

Scogin acknowledged that achieving the goal of free tuition won’t be easy.  “This is a big ambition,” he said.  “So large that it probably sounds crazy and unachievable.”

Yes, crazy and unachievable.

Offline MaroonKnighty

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47450 on: September 15, 2019, 03:43:22 pm »
Timely: https://hope.edu/news/2019/campus-life/hope-president-names-free-tuition-as-top-goal-during-inaugural-address.html

Scogin acknowledged that achieving the goal of free tuition won’t be easy.  “This is a big ambition,” he said.  “So large that it probably sounds crazy and unachievable.”

Truth

Offline Flying Dutch Fan

• All-American
  • Spera in Deo
    • View Profile
« Reply #47451 on: September 16, 2019, 08:41:19 am »

Truth

Scogin also said this:

"We are taking a hard look at ways we can rethink our cost structure.  But organizations do not shrink on the way to greatness. Our path toward greatness involves growing, growing our scholarship support. 

So I am asking us to channel the pioneer spirit that inspired our immigrant founders, who believed this institution could change the world… I’m asking us to re-ignite that passion and be a place that chooses to be a leader, a place that chooses to climb the highest mountain, a place that chooses to take on one of the most significant challenges facing society today: access and affordability of higher education.

Ultimately we accept this challenge, not just because we believe in what Hope College can do.  We accept this challenge because we have faith in a big God.   

If Hope is a God-centered school, we ought to have God-sized ambitions for ourselves. And we do.
"
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 08:43:32 am by Flying Dutch Fan »
2016 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
« Reply #47452 on: September 16, 2019, 08:39:59 pm »
I noticed he never used the word 'university'.

;)
Give to Hope

Offline ziggy

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #47453 on: September 17, 2019, 03:06:03 pm »
Kalamazoo has a new head men's basketball coach: https://hornets.kzoo.edu/sports/mbkb/2019-20/releases/20190917gcc0jb
MIAA Pick 'Em Champion - 2010, 2011 (retired)
D3 Men's National Pick 'Em League Champion - 2014

Online Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #47454 on: September 17, 2019, 03:33:09 pm »
Interesting hire. I'm mildly surprised that Kalamazoo was willing to hire someone with no previous head-coaching experience, but the combination of his being a Michigander and his experience assisting a successful program at a highly-selective D3 school (in this case, Williams) seems to have outweighed the fact that he'll be a novice head coach.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful..” -- John Wooden

Offline hornets76542

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #47455 on: September 17, 2019, 04:36:31 pm »
Tough to judge a hire when I don't know what other options were out there and I haven't met the guy yet, but my initial reaction is that I would have preferred someone with some head coaching experience. That might be asking too much though. I really hope this guy knows what he's doing, because that roster is ready to win and it would be a shame if their coach's inexperience held them back.

Offline RFMichigan

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47456 on: September 17, 2019, 06:03:52 pm »
I am not all that surprised at this hire. This is pretty late in the game to hire a coach what with practice starting in a month or so and Coach Giard comes from one of the more successful DIII programs in the country. I can't imagine a head coach leaving their own school at this point in the year to take another job, and if one were willing to leave their school at this late date to take the K-zoo job, what does that say about them, either as a coach or otherwise? The Kalamazoo job does have its draws: a very highly respected school academically in a conference that supports basketball, but without being a "blue-blood" DIII basketball program my 15,000 foot view is that this is a pretty good hire for the Hornets.  By the way, I was much more surprised that Hope went out and hired a high school coach with no college experience at all even if he was an alum and was lauded at the high school level although that seems to have turned out just fine for them. 

Offline Jameswys

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47457 on: September 17, 2019, 08:34:54 pm »
I am not all that surprised at this hire. This is pretty late in the game to hire a coach what with practice starting in a month or so and Coach Giard comes from one of the more successful DIII programs in the country. I can't imagine a head coach leaving their own school at this point in the year to take another job, and if one were willing to leave their school at this late date to take the K-zoo job, what does that say about them, either as a coach or otherwise? The Kalamazoo job does have its draws: a very highly respected school academically in a conference that supports basketball, but without being a "blue-blood" DIII basketball program my 15,000 foot view is that this is a pretty good hire for the Hornets.  By the way, I was much more surprised that Hope went out and hired a high school coach with no college experience at all even if he was an alum and was lauded at the high school level although that seems to have turned out just fine for them.

I couldn’t agree with you more. This late in the year if you were to hire a head coach leaving a program, that would be a major red flag to me. Either he’s leaving a mess behind or he’ll do the same to you when a better offer comes along.
Olivet '05

Online Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #47458 on: September 17, 2019, 10:35:49 pm »
There's always a chance that you could find a former head coach, though, although that narrows down the possibilities considerably.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful..” -- John Wooden

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
« Reply #47459 on: September 17, 2019, 11:26:56 pm »
Neither of K's previous hires before Jay Smith had head coaching experience, both Rob Passage and Eric Dougle came from the assistant ranks.  Even Jay Smith hadn't been a head coach in 11 years before taking the Kzoo job.

Hope's last 3 head coaches (VanWieren, Neil, Mitchell)  had zero college head coaching experience, and I would bet Russ DeVette who preceded Van Wieren didn't either.

Give to Hope