Author Topic: MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association  (Read 2594731 times)

Offline wiz

• All-Region
    • View Profile
Re: MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association
« Reply #35385 on: December 05, 2012, 08:45:53 pm »
And on the women's side tonight, with 13 minutes left in the game, it's Verkaik 25 - Alma 22.

Offline oldknight

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #35386 on: December 05, 2012, 11:00:39 pm »

Out of curiosity are any Calvin fans making the long trek to Hancock for Saturday's game?

Looked tirelessly throughout the entire UP for someone to serve with a subpoena for a deposition this weekend so I could tell the inestimable Mrs. OldKnight it was a business trip (the second weekend in a row), but I came up empty. I'm afraid I will just have to follow livestats like everyone else.

Offline RFMichigan

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35387 on: December 06, 2012, 10:05:36 am »

Out of curiosity are any Calvin fans making the long trek to Hancock for Saturday's game?

Looked tirelessly throughout the entire UP for someone to serve with a subpoena for a deposition this weekend so I could tell the inestimable Mrs. OldKnight it was a business trip (the second weekend in a row), but I came up empty. I'm afraid I will just have to follow livestats like everyone else.

lol!!

Offline oldknight

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #35388 on: December 06, 2012, 12:29:29 pm »
http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/7274002289746813768/unity-christian-late-bloomer-signs-with-longtime-naia-basketball-power/

When Calvin can't land a good kid--in more ways than one--like this one, I just want to sit down and have a good cry. :'( The article mentions that he comes from an outstanding family which I suppose is true. If I knew Ryan's father I would give him a piece of my mind about how he would have been an even better father by exercising proper headship. >:(

Offline goodknight

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #35389 on: December 06, 2012, 01:49:37 pm »
http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/7274002289746813768/unity-christian-late-bloomer-signs-with-longtime-naia-basketball-power/

When Calvin can't land a good kid--in more ways than one--like this one, I just want to sit down and have a good cry. :'( The article mentions that he comes from an outstanding family which I suppose is true. If I knew Ryan's father I would give him a piece of my mind about how he would have been an even better father by exercising proper headship. >:(

Don't get me started... ::) :'( >:(
Counselor, I think we can find a worthy deponent for you, and you don't have to travel all the way to the UP to depose him.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:32:39 pm by goodknight »

Offline hoopdreams

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35390 on: December 06, 2012, 02:27:18 pm »
Bethel is a strong program, great tradition and can offer copious amounts of $$$$
2013 MIAA Pick em' Champion

Offline hoopdreams

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35391 on: December 06, 2012, 02:30:50 pm »
Out of curiousity...What do fellow posters consider to be a poor, average, and outstanding assist/turnover ratio for a point guard?

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
    • Speaking of Alaska - my basketball blog
« Reply #35392 on: December 06, 2012, 02:45:33 pm »
Out of curiousity...What do fellow posters consider to be a poor, average, and outstanding assist/turnover ratio for a point guard?

http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/rankings?sportCode=MBB

In D3 1.47 is right in the middle of the individual national rankings of 360 or so players. It makes no distinction between positions other than G, F or C.

2.5 and higher gets you in the Top 50

Dustin Hall, Trine
Coltan Overway, Hope
Dave Rietema, Calvin

All three are in the top 100.

I know this doesn't answer your question but its the best I have.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:49:38 pm by sac »
MY BLOG you should read it

Nike shoes with Adidas uniforms  #whyD3

Offline oldknight

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #35393 on: December 06, 2012, 03:01:04 pm »

If I'm coaching, my ideal is to have my point guard at no worse than 2:1 even though there are many who don't reach that ratio--even some pretty good ones. David Krombeen was a terrific point but he was only at 1.66:1 last year. The prior year Krombeen's ratio was 2.34:1.  If my point guard is at 3:1 or better I think that is outstanding. Last season's MIAA stats show for the conference season, David Rietema had the best ratio at 2.88:1 with Colton Overway a close second at 2.86:1.

Offline GoKnights68

• All-Conference
    • View Profile
« Reply #35394 on: December 06, 2012, 04:35:53 pm »
I would think Calvin's chances of landing Brad Visser, senior from Calvin Christian HS, would be pretty good.  I believe he would be an excellent d3 player, and has had family that has recently graduated from Calvin College.

http://www.grandhaventribune.com/article/sports/258591

Offline oldknight

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #35395 on: December 06, 2012, 04:51:00 pm »
I would think Calvin's chances of landing Brad Visser, senior from Calvin Christian HS, would be pretty good.  I believe he would be an excellent d3 player, and has had family that has recently graduated from Calvin College.

http://www.grandhaventribune.com/article/sports/258591

I was at the game and there's no doubt, the kid can fill the basket. A pure shooter with a quick release and long arms.

Offline hoopdreams

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35396 on: December 06, 2012, 05:42:39 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, not a huge fan of stats as many may remember but a coach I was sitting with Tuesday night kept spewing them out, so I feel compelled to know at least a couple fancy #'s...just in case.   Did I see that blaukamp from tri- unity is going to cornerstone next fall?  Love that kids game.  FYI unity christian is going to be really good this year if they stay healthy and focused

Offline wiz

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #35397 on: December 06, 2012, 05:56:14 pm »
Here's a novel idea.  At least there is hope in the UP.

"The Calvin men's basketball team will travel to Finlandia University on Saturday for a 3 p.m. game in Hancock, Michigan. The contest, to be held on the southern tip of Michigan's Keewanaw Peninsula, will feature a live video stream from Finlandia's Paavo Nurmi Center. The link to the video stream will be available at: http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/finlandia.portal# "

Offline Knight2Day

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35398 on: December 06, 2012, 06:19:45 pm »

Counselor, I think we can find a worthy deponent for you, and you don't have to travel all the way to the UP to depose him.

I wouldn't go calling anyone a bad father for not sending their kid to Calvin. There's probably more than meets the eye with why he isn't coming to Calvin. Coaching maybe? Maybe signs of instability in the program (i.e. a JV coach getting canned for no apparent reason after 2 successful seasons?)
"The key is not the 'will to win' - everybody has that.  It is the will to prepare to win that is important."- Bobby Knight

Offline wiz

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #35399 on: December 06, 2012, 06:41:25 pm »

I wouldn't go calling anyone a bad father for not sending their kid to Calvin. There's probably more than meets the eye with why he isn't coming to Calvin. Coaching maybe? Maybe signs of instability in the program (i.e. a JV coach getting canned for no apparent reason after 2 successful seasons?)
Good cheer to one and all during this joyous Christmas season!