Author Topic: MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association  (Read 2384070 times)

Online ziggy

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • SideLion Report
Re: MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association
« Reply #36735 on: February 22, 2013, 04:03:05 pm »
On that note, attendance at the two semi-final games was terrible.

I feel like that was generally the case at the Wednesday first round conference tournament games. Despite not "being on the calendar", one would think people could consider it "on the calendar" and do a little planning ahead.
MIAA Pick 'Em Champion - 2010, 2011
D3 Men's National Pick 'Em League Champion - 2014

SideLion Report

Offline GoKnights68

• All-Conference
    • View Profile
« Reply #36736 on: February 22, 2013, 04:09:00 pm »
Safe travels to all going to the finals tomorrow in Grand Rapids.

I think the key for a Knights victory, if I had to put it into simple terms, is for Calvin to prepare accordingly for Hope to put pressure on the ball immediately in the possession and do their best to get the ball down low to Tyler Kruis (And yes I realize he's not the only person that can play down low).  Calvin's offense just looks a lot better when they can get it down low to him effectively.  Will this be the year Calvin finally breaks the streak of Hope ending their season every year since.....ughhhh.....2006?  I hope so.  Go Knights!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:56:14 pm by GoKnights68 »

Offline Civic Minded

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #36737 on: February 22, 2013, 05:21:47 pm »
On that note, attendance at the two semi-final games was terrible.

I feel like that was generally the case at the Wednesday first round conference tournament games. Despite not "being on the calendar", one would think people could consider it "on the calendar" and do a little planning ahead.

For whatever reason, many Hope season ticket holders do not attend games past whatever is included in their season ticket package.  Perhaps their Dutchness does not permit them to spring for the extra $5/person after they've paid (6 months ago) for their season tickets?  To quote Erm Schmiggett, "It leaves me scratching my head, but all I get is dandruff."   ;D :o ::) :P
2014 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion  :)

Offline AlwaysHope

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36738 on: February 22, 2013, 10:36:59 pm »
On the eve of two Hope/calvin games, I'm reminded of the quote attributed to the late Hope College President, Dr. calvin (what were his parents thinking?) VanderWerf, who asked the burning philosophical question of the day, "What do you call someone who doesn't care who wins the Hope/calvin game?

His answer:  "An Atheist!"

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
    • Speaking of Alaska - my basketball blog
« Reply #36739 on: February 22, 2013, 10:40:10 pm »
On the eve of two Hope/calvin games, I'm reminded of the quote attributed to the late Hope College President, Dr. calvin (what were his parents thinking?) VanderWerf, who asked the burning philosophical question of the day, "What do you call someone who doesn't care who wins the Hope/calvin game?

His answer:  "An Atheist!"

It's a big day and I would highly encourage everyone to go see both games.  I'm no women's basketball expert but those two teams sure look like two of the best in the country.
MY BLOG you should read it

...the football gods cooked up the worst possible torture imaginable for Harvey Updyke, who is 100% at fault for the way the Iron Bowl ended.

'Win the Game'

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
    • Speaking of Alaska - my basketball blog
« Reply #36740 on: February 22, 2013, 11:28:11 pm »
MY BLOG you should read it

...the football gods cooked up the worst possible torture imaginable for Harvey Updyke, who is 100% at fault for the way the Iron Bowl ended.

'Win the Game'

Offline maroonandgold

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36741 on: February 23, 2013, 10:29:17 am »
http://hornets.kzoo.edu/sports/mbkb/2012-13/releases/20130219s73h3j

Kind of a big deal, congrats to Mark.

Not only are congratulations due to him, but after looking at the MIAA statistical leaders sheet at the game on Thursday, I could see a lot of reasons to select him as MVP.  Sure, his team was third from last in the league; but where would they have been without him?  Did any other player have enough of an impact to improve their team's standing by 2 in the standing?  He almost certainly did.  I know the tradition is to select from the winning team.  But if the award means what it says it means he has a strong case in his favor.

Offline hoopdreams

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36742 on: February 23, 2013, 11:00:53 am »
I agree completely M&G. I've never been a fan of the MVP having to come from the more successful team (The Tigers had to make the series in order for Miggy to win MVP....really?) Other other day, I almost posted about Gardner winning it but feared the backlash.  A frosh?  Starter for barely a handful of games?  His play has been fantastic and who really thought that Hope would be playing better, significantly better, without Overway?  Sure, there have been other factors but Ben has been the catalyst.  May even go as far as saying the winner of today's game may be dependant on the baby. 
2013 MIAA Pick em' Champion

Online ziggy

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • SideLion Report
« Reply #36743 on: February 23, 2013, 11:03:57 am »
http://hornets.kzoo.edu/sports/mbkb/2012-13/releases/20130219s73h3j

Kind of a big deal, congrats to Mark.

Not only are congratulations due to him, but after looking at the MIAA statistical leaders sheet at the game on Thursday, I could see a lot of reasons to select him as MVP.  Sure, his team was third from last in the league; but where would they have been without him?  Did any other player have enough of an impact to improve their team's standing by 2 in the standing?  He almost certainly did.  I know the tradition is to select from the winning team.  But if the award means what it says it means he has a strong case in his favor.

I've always been one to strongly consider the "valuable" part of the award title but I still disagree that "if the award means what it says it means he has a strong case in his favor."

We're not talking about a Michael McClary who made an average to poor team into a threat or a Brandon Crawford who dominated as part of a very good team.

I was thinking the other day that the way the tournament is now restricted to the top four teams, I feel like the MVP just about has to come from one of those four. I find it hard to argue a player's value being "most valuable" when his team still didn't qualify for the conference tournament with him. Ultimately they got to the same place with him that they would have without him.

Honestly, I don't think there is a true MVP this year. Calvin finished two places better than where they were voted in the preseason coaches poll but there wasn't any single player responsible for that. I think the coaches simply underrated Calvin. And in the end, the four teams expected to be in the top four were in the top four.

SideLion Report

Offline 13wapiti

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36744 on: February 23, 2013, 11:13:55 am »
Dutchmen pre-game preparations for the big game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd1qR9PzF_0

Offline hoopdreams

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36745 on: February 23, 2013, 11:56:06 am »
wow..love it.  Not sure where "the shake" originated or why but I laugh at nearly every darn one of them
2013 MIAA Pick em' Champion

Online ziggy

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • SideLion Report
« Reply #36746 on: February 23, 2013, 12:38:27 pm »
wow..love it.  Not sure where "the shake" originated or why but I laugh at nearly every darn one of them

It originated with a performer at the famed Rucker Park in New York. Like a game of 'telephone', what you now see proliferating youtube is not really the Harlem Shake to those that first knew it. Or so NPR told me yesterday.

SideLion Report

Offline northb

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #36747 on: February 23, 2013, 01:10:06 pm »

It originated with a performer at the famed Rucker Park in New York. Like a game of 'telephone', what you now see proliferating youtube is not really the Harlem Shake to those that first knew it. Or so NPR told me yesterday.

They seriously need to get out more.
in sympathy to A-Rod, refusing to play for MLB  in 2014, either

Offline wiz

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #36748 on: February 23, 2013, 01:38:33 pm »
I think the MVP should just be awarded to a Hope player every year and then we can avoid this discussion at the close of each season IMHO.

Offline GoKnights68

• All-Conference
    • View Profile
« Reply #36749 on: February 23, 2013, 04:19:55 pm »
I agree completely M&G. I've never been a fan of the MVP having to come from the more successful team (The Tigers had to make the series in order for Miggy to win MVP....really?) Other other day, I almost posted about Gardner winning it but feared the backlash.  A frosh?  Starter for barely a handful of games?  His play has been fantastic and who really thought that Hope would be playing better, significantly better, without Overway?  Sure, there have been other factors but Ben has been the catalyst.  May even go as far as saying the winner of today's game may be dependant on the baby.

MVP voting is done before the playoffs