Author Topic: MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association  (Read 4749256 times)

Offline Knight2Day

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association
« Reply #46050 on: August 16, 2018, 09:47:32 am »
Talking to people in the Calvin community, this years Calvin freshman class will be the first class smaller than it's corresponding class at Hope in over 100 years. I guess that's what happens when you take away the tradition from an institution built on traditions.....A lot of big name older profs and staff being pushed out over the last few years.
"The key is not the 'will to win' - everybody has that.  It is the will to prepare to win that is important."- Bobby Knight

Offline TUAngola

• Starter
  • Go TU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46051 on: August 20, 2018, 05:15:17 pm »
Good MBB news out of Trine today.  Just read on the twitter feed that Center Ellis Cummings is back on the roster for his senior season.  At 6'8 he provides another rim protector to go with returning forwards Myles Copeland and Mo Hunter.  I don't see him starting in front either of those 2 but will be a valuable big off the bench for the Thunder.  He was never very skilled as an offensive player but is a talented shot blocker and rebounder.   

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
    • Speaking of Alaska - my basketball blog
« Reply #46052 on: August 25, 2018, 05:05:31 pm »
Colin Jones   6-4   265lb  F  Holt HS--Lansing Community--Culver Stockton

.....has enrolled at Olivet.   

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/columnists/graham-couch/2018/07/17/colin-jones-moneyball-pro-am-couch-column/785102002/
As is briefly mentioned in the article he has some academic work to take care of.  He'd be a load in D3.  We'll see.
Give to Hope
Twitter  -- words, occasional words

Offline hopefan

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #46053 on: August 26, 2018, 12:26:01 pm »
Colin Jones   6-4   265lb  F  Holt HS--Lansing Community--Culver Stockton

.....has enrolled at Olivet.   

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/columnists/graham-couch/2018/07/17/colin-jones-moneyball-pro-am-couch-column/785102002/
As is briefly mentioned in the article he has some academic work to take care of.  He'd be a load in D3.  We'll see.

A load physique wise, or talent wise?

Offline Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

• All-American
  • Broadcaster, Announcer, Analyst, and Fan!
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #46054 on: August 28, 2018, 04:27:39 pm »
Heard that before... let's see what happens on the court first. Size and even talent doesn't always translate when the games start for real. I resist saying this often, but we all can probably think of players we were convinced were going to be a beast in DIII and ... we never ended up talking about (just as there have been some we did talk about and others we didn't even see coming).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director, play-by-play and analyst for D3sports.com. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Offline arena

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46055 on: September 02, 2018, 04:23:58 pm »
Anyone not show up for classes unexpectedly?

Offline Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

• All-American
  • Broadcaster, Announcer, Analyst, and Fan!
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #46056 on: September 02, 2018, 06:24:11 pm »
Anyone not show up for classes unexpectedly?

Unexpectedly by whose expectations? LOL From what I was told, there is one that isn't unexpectedly missing ... he's been mentioned before. LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director, play-by-play and analyst for D3sports.com. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Offline Bilk

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46057 on: September 02, 2018, 08:12:19 pm »
... that's what happens when you take away the tradition from an institution built on traditions...
Agreed. I think adding basketball/ baseball alum Kevin Van Duyn will go a long ways toward righting the ship. Twenty years in the public school trenches should bring a strong sense of urgency to Knollcrest.

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
« Reply #46058 on: September 04, 2018, 12:00:28 pm »
So there's this.....
http://www.gobrits.com/sports/fball/2018-19/releases/20180903ftaov6

Ashabi will be the next Albion football coach.  (I am disappointed Ashabi is not still a banned word)
Give to Hope

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #46059 on: September 04, 2018, 12:26:41 pm »
Wait a minute ... you're telling me that Gregg Ashabi was just the *nom de plume* of the guy who is now Albion's football OC? Mind blown!

And if he is really going to ascend to the head coaching position of the Britons, then he's probably going to get an entire wing all to himself in the Michigan Supersweetness Hall of Fame.

(I miss the red dots, too.)
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.. -- John Wooden

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #46060 on: September 04, 2018, 01:53:04 pm »
Wait a minute ... you're telling me that Gregg Ashabi was just the *nom de plume* of the guy who is now Albion's football OC? Mind blown!

And if he is really going to ascend to the head coaching position of the Britons, then he's probably going to get an entire wing all to himself in the Michigan Supersweetness Hall of Fame.

(I miss the red dots, too.)

Blast from the past!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
« Reply #46061 on: September 04, 2018, 03:38:43 pm »
Olivet twitter is welcoming a few new guys

Keyon Rainey   Adrian College/Det Consortium
Nate Colon   MMCC/ East Lansing
Walker Small    Clarendon College/Schoolcraft
Torian Jackson  OlneyJC/Vincennes CC/ Portage Northern?
Chris Long   Flint Beecher

Jackson is 6-8, Long 6-6, Small 6-4

Give to Hope

Offline mailsy

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #46062 on: September 10, 2018, 08:33:59 pm »
I just had to do it. I'm visiting Michigan this week. I am very impressed by the hospitality I received when visiting the DeVos Field House. Quite the facilities at Hope. I just wanted to say thank you to coach Mitchell and coach Courtney Kust for taking a few minutes with me. Also I met a student athlete Morgan(softball player) who was working at the front desk who showed me around. Thank you to all.

On my way back from Mackinac Island I hope to visit Calvin and see their facilities.

Yes. I know the things we do on vacation. 😀
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 08:36:08 pm by mailsy »
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #46063 on: September 11, 2018, 11:08:39 am »
D3 sports addicts do the darndest things with their free time. ;)
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.. -- John Wooden

Offline almcguirejr

• All-Region
  • Ich bin ein Beileiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #46064 on: September 13, 2018, 03:34:31 pm »
Kalamazoo College Coach, Jay Smith, diagnosed with cancer.

From Mlive:

By Patrick Nothaft pnothaft@mlive.com
KALAMAZOO, MI - Kalamazoo College men's basketball coach Jay Smith, who has left his fingerprints on the state's hoops scene from the high school level to the NCAA Final Four, will begin cancer treatment Thursday, according to a report from WWMT.

The 57-year-old Mio, Mich., native received an intermediate prostate cancer diagnosis during a yearly physical in early June and shared the news with the public Wednesday, a day before he is scheduled to begin treatment in Chicago.

"I knew it probably wasn't going to be good, but nobody wants to hear the word 'cancer.' Nobody does," Smith told WWMT's Mike McCann. "Fear goes through your veins; it just scares you."

A 4-6 week recovery time is expected following his surgery, and if that timeline holds up, Smith could to be back on the sideline for his third season at K-College.

"I feel like I'm a fast healer," Smith said. "If everything goes as planned, I'll be back; that's the plan."

The positive outlook is one Smith realizes could have been much worse if not for an annual doctor visit.

"Sometimes men take the idea of, 'Well, I'll get to it next year. I'm feeling OK, everything's good,'" Smith said. "If I'd have taken that attitude, this could be much, much worse."