Author Topic: MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association  (Read 5116020 times)

Offline Jameswys

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
Re: MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association
« Reply #46320 on: February 09, 2019, 11:24:40 pm »
MTI is beautiful and Olivet played really well there this year, itís also a breeze down I69 to get there. I wouldnít be opposed to a trip down there, if it canít be at Cutler. 
Olivet '05

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
    • Speaking of Alaska - my basketball blog
« Reply #46321 on: February 10, 2019, 12:05:57 am »
MTI is beautiful and Olivet played really well there this year, itís also a breeze down I69 to get there. I wouldnít be opposed to a trip down there, if it canít be at Cutler.

I think Olivet can still host, they'd have to win both game obvs.  Trine/Albion lose both, also obv.

3-way tie with Trine/Albion, all 3 are 2-2 vs each other, tie-breaker goes down standing to 4th place.  Calvin holds tie-breaker over Hope at 2-0 for 4th , Olivet would have beaten Calvin twice while Albion and Trine split.  Olivet gets #1 seed and host, Trine #2.
Give to Hope
Twitter  -- words, occasional words

Offline KnightSlappy

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Forever Faithful | A Calvin Knights Blog
« Reply #46322 on: February 10, 2019, 09:03:00 am »
Calvin loses to Kzoo 77-72.   :(

No, Kzoo beats Calvin 77-72  :)

Albion plays Calvin and Hope for their final two regular season games; a win in either would ensure that neither Calvin nor Hope win a share of the league title for the first time since Albion was the sole champ in 2005.

Speaking of 2005, the league should mandate that Trine has to always run The System. That was loads of fun.
D3 Men's National Pick Em League Champ-2011, 2016
Regional Ranking Data
D3 Efficiency Ratings

FFTMAG

Offline HOPEful

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #46323 on: February 10, 2019, 11:28:17 am »
Huge games on Wednesday!

As a Hope fan, I'm very conflicted on Albion @ Calvin. The only way for Hope to jump up to the 2 seed is to win both of their remaining games, have Calvin beat Albion, and then have Calvin lose to Olivet. Then again, if Albion beats Calvin and locks in at least the 2 seed, Hope is guaranteed the 3 seed by winning out.

If Calvin and Hope both win out, I believe that Calvin would get the 2 seed by way of their win against Trine, Hope would get the 3 seed by having beaten Albion both times, and Albion would get the 4 seed. Did I apply the tie breakers correctly?
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
« Reply #46324 on: February 10, 2019, 12:44:59 pm »
Huge games on Wednesday!

As a Hope fan, I'm very conflicted on Albion @ Calvin. The only way for Hope to jump up to the 2 seed is to win both of their remaining games, have Calvin beat Albion, and then have Calvin lose to Olivet. Then again, if Albion beats Calvin and locks in at least the 2 seed, Hope is guaranteed the 3 seed by winning out.

If Calvin and Hope both win out, I believe that Calvin would get the 2 seed by way of their win against Trine, Hope would get the 3 seed by having beaten Albion both times, and Albion would get the 4 seed. Did I apply the tie breakers correctly?

Yes you applied tie breakers correctly.
Give to Hope

Offline Jameswys

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46325 on: February 10, 2019, 12:51:33 pm »

3 player technical fouls today all on the same team, that's 11 since Saturday's near brawl at Kzoo/Olivet.

Of the three technicals, the second one was earned (I heard it in the stands), I totally missed what was said/done for the first one and the final one was a weird call. After a foul call at half court an Olivet player shot the ball towards the hoop near the Olivet Bench. He was visually frustrated but Iíve seen players on all teams shoot the ball after calls. It might have been because he shot it the wrong way, I donít know. It just seemed like an odd call.
The officiating at Adrian was odd. Olivet had 9 team fouls in less than 4 minutes to start the 2nd half. Adrian picked up 4 almost random fouls at the end of the 2nd half, almost as if the refs said we canít have the foul total be so lopsided against Olivet.
Did Olivet lose the game? Yes they lost it by another flat game against a worse team. Did the officials help them lose it? Yes. They called a very ticky tack game when Olivet was on defense. But if Olivet would have stayed focused and played intense they could have turned it around. The bad calls made them more and more uncontrolled.
Olivet '05

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
« Reply #46326 on: February 10, 2019, 01:03:34 pm »
Trine host with outright championship or tie for first with only Albion

Albion can only host with outright championship

Olivet can host if 3 way tie with Trine/Albion

Best possible seeds for Hope or Calvin is #2 which requires a tie with Trine/Albion.  Trine wins both those tie-breaks for host.  Albion is 3rd seed in both cases.

Only 4 way tie possible is Trine, Calvin, Hope, Albion.......they would be seeded in that order.

Breaking ties between Olivet/Calvin, Olivet/Hope is dependent on next weeks results or final standings.   Calvin owns the tie-break over Hope.

Alma/Kzoo tie-break could be supper fun.  Split season series, and at the moment have identical wins and losses in the league.  Can't find my tie-breaks sheet but we delve into conference road records and 2nd half record at some point.  Last one favors Kzoo

Lots more tie-breaks for things like a tie for 2nd that need next weeks results, or least become more clear after Wednesday.  Hope, Olivet and Calvin with the right results can all host a first round game.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 01:07:16 pm by sac »
Give to Hope

Offline formerd3db

• All-American
  • Go Hope!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46327 on: February 10, 2019, 08:06:21 pm »
sac:

Are you going to try and make any of the MIAA Tournament games, depending on where the tourney is hosted?

"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
« Reply #46328 on: February 11, 2019, 02:08:29 pm »
sac:

Are you going to try and make any of the MIAA Tournament games, depending on where the tourney is hosted?

Yes, I plan on attending a game next Wed. night and the semi-finals and finals regardless of location.
Give to Hope

Offline HOPEful

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #46329 on: February 12, 2019, 07:29:31 am »
Yes, I plan on attending a game next Wed. night and the semi-finals and finals regardless of location.
I haven't been to Trine's new facility yet. I'm hoping Albion beats Calvin and then loses to Hope and Trine takes care of business...

One more home game and a trip to Angola would make for a fun week.
Let's go Dutchmen!

Offline Jameswys

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46330 on: February 12, 2019, 07:50:35 am »
I haven't been to Trine's new facility yet. I'm hoping Albion beats Calvin and then loses to Hope and Trine takes care of business...

MTI is beautiful! You wonít be disappointed in a trip to Angola (unless your team loses).
Olivet '05

Offline HOPEful

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #46331 on: February 12, 2019, 12:40:59 pm »

MTI is beautiful! You wonít be disappointed in a trip to Angola (unless your team loses).

This year... anything seems possible. Could I see Hope winning their next 5 games... which would mean getting the 3 seed, winning at home against Alma/Kalamazoo and then going down to Algola and beating Albion and Trine? Yes. Could I see them losing tomorrow night to Olivet, this weekend at Kresge, and getting bounced at Calvin or Olivet before ever making it to MTI? Yep, I could see that happening too.

I feel like I could paint a similar story for every MIAA team. Even a host Trine could potentially end up playing a 4 or 5 seeded Olivet in the semis, a team that's beat them twice this season.

What exciting parity! Almost feels like playoffs start tomorrow night.
Let's go Dutchmen!

Offline Flying Dutch Fan

• All-American
  • Spera in Deo
    • View Profile
« Reply #46332 on: February 12, 2019, 01:04:21 pm »

MTI is beautiful! You won’t be disappointed in a trip to Angola (unless your team loses).

This year... anything seems possible. Could I see Hope winning their next 5 games... which would mean getting the 3 seed, winning at home against Alma/Kalamazoo and then going down to Algola and beating Albion and Trine? Yes. Could I see them losing tomorrow night to Olivet, this weekend at Kresge, and getting bounced at Calvin or Olivet before ever making it to MTI? Yep, I could see that happening too.

I feel like I could paint a similar story for every MIAA team. Even a host Trine could potentially end up playing a 4 or 5 seeded Olivet in the semis, a team that's beat them twice this season.

What exciting parity! Almost feels like playoffs start tomorrow night.

I know that some of us had mixed feeling about whether we liked a 6 team tournament or not, but it sure has brought us an exciting finish to the season with every game being key in deciding who gets in wand where do they play.  I realize this season (with all the "parity" in the league) would be exciting with a 4 team tourney as well, but I do like where we are. 

Just been thinking about Kalamazoo - who we all wrote of 1/2 way through the season (at least many did).  They have a shot at the tournament, and then who knows - the way they played this past week they could beat anyone. 
2016 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Offline KnightSlappy

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Forever Faithful | A Calvin Knights Blog
« Reply #46333 on: February 12, 2019, 04:03:51 pm »
I would still like to see a return to the 8-team format, but I'll take the 6-team format for now. Limiting to 4 teams would have been awful this year.
D3 Men's National Pick Em League Champ-2011, 2016
Regional Ranking Data
D3 Efficiency Ratings

FFTMAG

Offline wiz

• All-Region
  • I am a Cyber-bullied "Chucklehead"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46334 on: February 12, 2019, 05:11:30 pm »
I would still like to see a return to the 8-team format, but I'll take the 6-team format for now. Limiting to 4 teams would have been awful this year.

Agree whole-heartedly!  We need all 8 teams in the tournament every year.
Now with 61.74% less posting
100% organic
LEED certified