Author Topic: MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association  (Read 4886940 times)

Online Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

• All-American
    • View Profile
Re: MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association
« Reply #46905 on: March 14, 2019, 10:47:07 pm »
It would be very shocking if Vanderwal left Marietta and came to Calvin. I won’t say it will never happen but it is very doubtful IMHO.

Agree.  He is from Michigan, but, right now, Marietta to Calvin is, at best, a lateral move.  He's got a young family settled in there, not sure what would persuade him to make such a move.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Offline DrDutchman

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46906 on: March 15, 2019, 11:51:25 am »
It would be very shocking if Vanderwal left Marietta and came to Calvin. I won’t say it will never happen but it is very doubtful IMHO.

Agree.  He is from Michigan, but, right now, Marietta to Calvin is, at best, a lateral move.  He's got a young family settled in there, not sure what would persuade him to make such a move.
Money Talks

Offline Hope1993

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46907 on: March 15, 2019, 01:55:06 pm »
You are correct money talks. But Calvin I don’t believe can or will pay as well as Marietta. Calvin would have to offer Vanderwal a lot to lure him away from Marietta. The MIAA coaches do not make their money from being coaches. They make it from being teachers and professors the way I understand it. MIAA coaches coach for the love of the game and being around student athletes and making them better men and helping them grow.

Offline DrDutchman

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46908 on: March 15, 2019, 02:20:47 pm »
You are correct money talks. But Calvin I don’t believe can or will pay as well as Marietta. Calvin would have to offer Vanderwal a lot to lure him away from Marietta. The MIAA coaches do not make their money from being coaches. They make it from being teachers and professors the way I understand it. MIAA coaches coach for the love of the game and being around student athletes and making them better men and helping them grow.
The professor thing was how it worked in the old days, not so much anymore. Yes Calvin can pay more than Marietta

Offline Hope1993

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46909 on: March 15, 2019, 04:28:33 pm »
I guess we will see if Calvin can pay more and if they go after Vanderwal.  But I don’t believe that they can him more. But to each his own.

Offline calvinite

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46910 on: March 15, 2019, 06:14:03 pm »
I don't know if Calvin will want to pay him more, but Calvin's endowment is about twice that of Marietta's (125 million vs 74 million); Calvin's student body is more than three times that of Marietta's student body (3700+ to just over 1,0000). Calvin pays its president more than Marrietta pays its president (375,000 vs. 350,000-- and the 350,000 is a new contract whereas LeRoy turned down a pay rais this yea; LeRoy's benefits package is significantly larger). Note: Calvin's current president was simultaneously a finalist to be the president at Hope and Calvin, but withdrew from Hope and chose Calvin. Calvin's average professor makes $57,000 a year compared to $55,000 at Marietta.

It is true that Marrietta spends more on athletics overall (2.2 million to 1.75 million), but much of that difference is the result of having a football program; overall revenues and expenditures are basically equal at both schools.

The elephant in the room, of course, is Calvin's decereasing enrollment, but the decrease in enrollment and severe budget crisis has been equally bad at Marietta where, "The data posted on the Institutional Research area of the college’s website shows steady fall enrollment varying between 1,573 and 1,618 from 2007 through 2012, but in 2013 the numbers of students began to decline, dropping off to 1,224 in fall 2016. Over time, freshman cohorts dropped from a peak of 463 full-time students in fall 2007 to 284 in 2016, according to the data. The decline precipitated a budget crisis, and in 2014 and 2015, the college lost 40 positions and staff took a cut in the college’s contributions to retirement funding. In early 2016, president Joseph Bruno resigned." Marrietta's new president has reportedly started to turn things around, but enrollment has basically levelled off, not increased. I think it's still at 1,100. In fact, even though Calvin is a larger school and could therefore more easily afford to lose more students, Marrietta has actually lost more students over same time period.

This is all completely pointless speculation; I apologize for ranting. I do believe that Calvin can compete with most other DIII schools when it comes to hiring just because of their relative size, resources, donors, etc. I could not find a listing of DIII schools by size, but I believe that Calvin is one of the larger DIII schools in the nation --- I could be totally off on this guess.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:34:56 pm by calvinite »
Knights!

“I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #46911 on: March 15, 2019, 08:27:46 pm »
It's one of the largest private schools in D3. In terms of overall? Most state schools in D3 have larger student populations than Calvin's.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful..” -- John Wooden

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #46912 on: March 15, 2019, 09:34:05 pm »
It's one of the largest private schools in D3. In terms of overall? Most state schools in D3 have larger student populations than Calvin's.

Not in Vermont, they don't! ;D

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #46913 on: March 15, 2019, 09:44:14 pm »
NVU-Lyndon and NVU-Johnson are hardly indicative of D3 as a whole, Chuck.

The NJAC schools, the WIAC schools, the SUNYAC schools ... that's more of what the typical D3 state school is like, sizewise.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful..” -- John Wooden

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #46914 on: March 15, 2019, 09:51:32 pm »
NVU-Lyndon and NVU-Johnson are hardly indicative of D3 as a whole, Chuck.

The NJAC schools, the WIAC schools, the SUNYAC schools ... that's more of what the typical D3 state school is like, sizewise.

Just pullin' your chain, Greg. ;)  It feels weird seeing STATE schools with enrollments that low.  (And I still want to see an NVU-Baines, to complete the competitive circle. ;D

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #46915 on: March 15, 2019, 09:55:46 pm »
I just want one of them to change their nickname to the Lady Birds.

Offline pointlem

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46916 on: March 16, 2019, 08:23:22 am »
Very interesting analysis, Calvinite, highlighting the enrollment challenges of colleges in the upper Midwest in a time of declining 18-year-old population. But a question: There are other very successful coaches at sister schools. Has Coach VanderWal's name shown up here simply b/c of his Dutch last name?  If so, is there reason to think that he would have any more connection to Calvin or its CRC heritage than any other coach . . . or does his name just sound more Calvin-ish?

Offline devossed

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46917 on: March 16, 2019, 09:23:45 am »
Very interesting analysis, Calvinite, highlighting the enrollment challenges of colleges in the upper Midwest in a time of declining 18-year-old population. But a question: There are other very successful coaches at sister schools. Has Coach VanderWal's name shown up here simply b/c of his Dutch last name?  If so, is there reason to think that he would have any more connection to Calvin or its CRC heritage than any other coach . . . or does his name just sound more Calvin-ish?

As previously stated, he has MIAA roots and ties, so it could well be a natural association.

However, he was also a semi-finalist for the Hope job a few years back, but reportedly withdrew himself from further consideration upon the learning that Hope's compensation package (and other administrative resources) were not "better" than what he had already attained at his current position.

Offline ziggy

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #46918 on: March 16, 2019, 09:41:24 am »
I'm guessing Wiz was just stirring the pot with his comment about VanderWal. From everything I have heard there is no reason he wouldn't be a perfect candidate but I don't believe it will happen. I think he would already be coaching in the MIAA if Calvin was a real possibility this time around.
MIAA Pick 'Em Champion - 2010, 2011 (retired)
D3 Men's National Pick 'Em League Champion - 2014

Offline Hope1993

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46919 on: March 16, 2019, 09:49:07 am »
And someone now brings up that he withdrew from the Hope coaching search. And yes it is accurate when you say it was because of the compensation package.  When you are making 40 percent more to just pretty much coach at Marietta and not teach that says a lot about how much Hope and Calvin and the other MIAA schools are going to pay a coach. Many other conferences and areas in other states compensate their coaches a lot more.