Author Topic: MBB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference  (Read 445449 times)

Online RFMichigan

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: MBB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference
« Reply #3150 on: April 05, 2019, 11:19:03 pm »

I remember not having an idea where this nickname came from until we played in IC's gym and they had a huge picture of a Civil War soldier on the wall. (Along with a sign which said that Illinois College was the oldest college in the state of Illinois. :o)

I've got a question regarding IC and MacMurray being in the same conference. Is/can a school get admitted into a conference by the simple majority of conference presidents or can one school veto another one from getting in? It seems as though Illinois College is an awfully long way from most other schools in the Midwest Conference, but besides the SLIAC, where would they go? The NACC? (I'm fascinated by how and why schools end up in the conferences that they are.)

It depends on the conference rules on how many votes you need to add a ew member. However, most will say that the new school was unanimously voted in, even if there was one or two holdouts. It looks better for the conference to say the move was unanimous.

There is a kind of sick irony if Illinois College were to join the NACC after St. Norbert left the MWC citing travel concerns as one of the reasons and they are forced back into their longest conference road trip they had in the MWC in their new conference.
I'm sorry if it sounded as though I was suggesting that IC would be looking for a new conference; there is no indication that they would. I was just thinking out loud.

Offline Greek Tragedy

• All-American
  • I'm my dad's mini-me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: April 06, 2019, 06:27:42 pm »

I remember not having an idea where this nickname came from until we played in IC's gym and they had a huge picture of a Civil War soldier on the wall. (Along with a sign which said that Illinois College was the oldest college in the state of Illinois. :o)

I've got a question regarding IC and MacMurray being in the same conference. Is/can a school get admitted into a conference by the simple majority of conference presidents or can one school veto another one from getting in? It seems as though Illinois College is an awfully long way from most other schools in the Midwest Conference, but besides the SLIAC, where would they go? The NACC? (I'm fascinated by how and why schools end up in the conferences that they are.)

It depends on the conference rules on how many votes you need to add a ew member. However, most will say that the new school was unanimously voted in, even if there was one or two holdouts. It looks better for the conference to say the move was unanimous.

There is a kind of sick irony if Illinois College were to join the NACC after St. Norbert left the MWC citing travel concerns as one of the reasons and they are forced back into their longest conference road trip they had in the MWC in their new conference.
I'm sorry if it sounded as though I was suggesting that IC would be looking for a new conference; there is no indication that they would. I was just thinking out loud.

I don't think anyone thought that either. We were thinking out loud too.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Offline iwumichigander

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: April 07, 2019, 06:36:10 pm »
Jacksonville's so small that anything across the street is crosstown. ;)
Small by Chicago standards maybe but 19,000+ not small by downstate standards!  Try 1900 where I grew up 25 miles from Jacksonville. 
Try small as 11 people (from a high of 20) in a little village near my hometown where the population was kept on the village sign with a black magic marker.  Every time someone died, moved out or a birth the population on the sign was crossed out and updated!

Offline Greek Tragedy

• All-American
  • I'm my dad's mini-me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: April 23, 2019, 01:16:44 pm »
Kind of lost in the shuffle of SNC moving to the NACC is that Whitman's associate head coach Matt Airy will be the new head coach at Aurora.

https://www.d3hoops.com/seasons/men/2018-19/contrib/201904095sndlh

Looks like he'll be bringing that fast-paced system to Aurora. Should be fun to watch.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Offline WUPHF

• All-American
  • Bowling alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: April 23, 2019, 01:42:34 pm »
IIRC correctly, Siwash is a reference to Native Americans... but I don't think it's a specific tribe (though I could be wrong on that).  It was changed in about 93.

I did not notice this before, but thanks...

It makes sense that they would have moved away from the name.