KC, Mikos, Wietor, Zeck and Cooper are all terrific players worthy of consideration for POY. And I REALLY like KC's game; he's smart, hard-nosed and unselfish. However, here are 5 reasons why I think Cooper was the right pick for POY:
1) Regular season team sucess: Led his team to the LMC regular season title, finishing second in scoring third in rebounding and forth in assists (as a forward). Edge: Cooper
2) Post-season team success: Led his team to the tournament title, averaging 19.5 pts, 7.5 rbs. and 6.5 assts. Edge Cooper
3) Head-to head: EU wins twice. Cooper averaged 24.5 pts., 8.5 reb., and 6 assts, shooting a combined 12 of 27 from the floor. KC averages 27.5 pts., 4.5 reb., and 10 assts. while shooting a combined 21 of 45 from the floor. KC took 9 more shots per game to average 3 more pts. per game than Cooper. Both immpressive individual numbers, but once again, Edge: Cooper.
4) Reperesenting the LMC in non-conference play: Both Cooper and KC played two opponents ranked in the top 25 in the most recent poll; WL played Lawrence and Stevens Point; EU also played Stevens Point as well as York, Pa. In those games against top level teams, Cooper averaged 27 pts., 4.5 rebs., and 2 assts. while shooting a combined 16 of 28 from the floor. KC averaged 12 pts., 1 reb. and 2 assts. while shooting a combined 8 of 40 from the floor. Cooper averages 15 more ppg. while taking 6 less attempts pg! (In confernce play, KC took 5.5 shots more per game than Cooper). Edge: Cooper
5) Versatility: Cooper can play the point guard, shooting guard, small forward or power forward positions on both O and D, depending on what his squad needs. His ability to play so many positions effectively is a big reason why he is the POY. KC is very versatile as well, but he can't match Cooper inside. Edge: Cooper
One final award: I'm giving the Andrew Dice Clay Posting award to "the way" for his rebuttal today to a poster from Iowa. Too good.