Author Topic: New England Soccer Discussion  (Read 251291 times)

Offline Falconer

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: New England Soccer Discussion
« Reply #1695 on: November 06, 2018, 09:57:56 am »
A final point: I think the NCAA is missing the mark with conference winners that lose in their tournament and then lose out on Pool C. Basically, the NCAA is saying your conference and conference games really didn't matter (Unless you're NESCAC and then you get to host and draw a first-round bye). I have one suggestion. Add a component to the R-v-R. Add a C for conference winner and assign it a value. So in Babson's case their R-v-R-C would have been 1-3-3-1. Or better yet, make it part of the primary selection criteria along with R-v-R & SOS etc,. Is Springfield's last-minute goal worth more than 7 hard fought games that Babson took to win the conference? Personally, I don't think so.

An alternative suggestion: get rid of the conference tournament, and assign the AQ to the regular season champion. That's what the UAA does, and I fail to see a problem with it. Why not take that route? If most conferences did this, there would be more Pool C bids available for other worthy teams.

I certainly wish the MAC conferences would do this. (But, I'm old fashioned enough to believe that MLB should eliminate all of their playoffs, too. I still regard the Detroit Tigers as the last true World Series champion, defeating the Cardinals in 7 games in 1968.) The regular season is supposed to matter--and matter a whole lot. Otherwise, what's the point?

Let's get real: D3 soccer conferences typically have fewer than 10 teams, and if you have just 7 (correct?) you get an AQ. What's the point of allowing the possibility that a 5th-place team somehow runs the table in the conference tournament and gets a bid? Suppose freak circumstances combine to produce that result? We all know it can happen--and it shouldn't IMO be even on the table as a possibility. Everyone knows that a team finished in 5th, not 1st, for good reasons. Why give them life after death?

Offline blooter442

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: November 06, 2018, 02:00:58 pm »
An alternative suggestion: get rid of the conference tournament, and assign the AQ to the regular season champion. That's what the UAA does, and I fail to see a problem with it. Why not take that route? If most conferences did this, there would be more Pool C bids available for other worthy teams.

I certainly wish the MAC conferences would do this. (But, I'm old fashioned enough to believe that MLB should eliminate all of their playoffs, too. I still regard the Detroit Tigers as the last true World Series champion, defeating the Cardinals in 7 games in 1968.) The regular season is supposed to matter--and matter a whole lot. Otherwise, what's the point?

Let's get real: D3 soccer conferences typically have fewer than 10 teams, and if you have just 7 (correct?) you get an AQ. What's the point of allowing the possibility that a 5th-place team somehow runs the table in the conference tournament and gets a bid? Suppose freak circumstances combine to produce that result? We all know it can happen--and it shouldn't IMO be even on the table as a possibility. Everyone knows that a team finished in 5th, not 1st, for good reasons. Why give them life after death?

As someone who supports a team that plays in the UAA, I would support the idea of all conferences adopting that model if only to make the competition for an AQ more similar. However, I can see staunch opposition from most teams outside the top of any given conference (who would perhaps feel disenfranchised that their one “chance” at an AQ is all but gone). Not saying that the regular season champion isn’t the most deserving — just that other teams might not buy in.

Offline blooter442

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: November 15, 2018, 09:16:39 am »
Cool feature in the NESJ about Rochester goalkeeper Patrick Conway of Acton, MA (behind a paywall but you can sign up for the first month for $0.99): https://www.nesoccerjournal.com/patrick-conway-rochester-goalkeeper-ncaa-tournament/

Anecdotally speaking, it seems like a lot of D3 New England players stay in the area. And given it's an incredibly strong region with numerous teams and great schools, it makes sense (think about how few top English players play in La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga). However, I think it's cool when NE kids go and prove themselves elsewhere, as PaulNewman knows a thing or two about. I used to really not like Rochester but their run to the Elite 8 last year was impressive, and I'd love for them to get to the Final 4 (while fully recognizing they will have their hands full this weekend).

Offline TyWebb

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile

Offline TyWebb

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: December 16, 2018, 02:38:36 pm »
Sorry to see that Newbury College in Brookline, MA will be closing its doors after this spring semester (https://www.wbur.org/edify/2018/12/14/newbury-college-brookline-shuts-down). Newbury's men's team was coming off a NECC conference title and their first ever NCAA appearance (3-1 loss to Cortland St.). Tough news to get before the holidays for all involved I'm sure.