Author Topic: FB: Midwest Conference  (Read 1137838 times)

Offline WW

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: FB: Midwest Conference
« Reply #10875 on: April 03, 2019, 12:11:26 pm »
It could/would/should mean the end of the divisional lineup/championship game, unless another associate member is found...

I think there could be a few more dominoes to fall regarding MWC football

Offline Just the stats

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10876 on: April 03, 2019, 01:22:24 pm »
I can't imagine the road trips that SNC (and consequently opponents) have endured. Almost 400 miles to Illinois College and Grinnell. That's a lot to ask for student-athletes on busses for regular-season games.

Offline gbpuckfan

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #10877 on: April 03, 2019, 01:29:08 pm »
I can't imagine the road trips that SNC (and consequently opponents) have endured. Almost 400 miles to Illinois College and Grinnell. That's a lot to ask for student-athletes on busses for regular-season games.

Waaaay back when I went with football, the team left Friday morning, sometimes worked out somewhere along the way, and got to the visiting city for dinner. All the way home afterwards, though ... so maybe 1 or 2 am arrival at SNC, IIRC. But that was 25 years ago. Not sure how they did it in modern times.
St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

Offline judgetrainer

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10878 on: April 03, 2019, 04:06:18 pm »
I know Lawrence does an overnight for the long trips (Iowa in particular). In my student days basketball used to do a Friday night/Saturday schedule and schools were partnered (play in Appleton Friday and play in DePere on Saturday. Visiting teams would flip sites).

Offline gbpuckfan

• All-Region
    • View Profile
St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

Offline Ryan Stoppable

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10880 on: April 04, 2019, 04:34:46 pm »
I'm guessing [SNC] can hang on to their upcoming NC schedule, which is set through 2021 (NACC plays 7 conf games a year, or has in the past). I will miss some of the MWC rivalries but the local ones haven't been competitive for years.

The NACC has actually only ever had 7 or 8 teams for football until now. I'd guess it will add an 8th conference game, assuming existing scheduling agreements permit it.
Lakeland Muskies: Fear the Fish!

NCAA Appearances
Football: 17, 16, 15, 09, 05
MBB: 04
WBB: 17, 10, 06, 04, 02, 01, 99
Baseball: 03, 02 (College World Series)

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10881 on: April 06, 2019, 01:56:13 pm »
Closer to 420 miles... That road trip is of near ASC proportions!

Offline judgetrainer

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10882 on: April 08, 2019, 12:22:49 pm »
It could/would/should mean the end of the divisional lineup/championship game, unless another associate member is found...

What are you hearing or thinking? Honestly curious.

Offline WW

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10883 on: April 08, 2019, 02:20:00 pm »

Hearing nothing. Thinking? Well, that's often debatable, but some things make ya wonder, such as...

The state of Beloit and Grinnell rosters.

Macalester... why aren't they in with their neighbors, as they are in other sports?

Monmouth... not sure where they could go, but in so many sports they battle with SNC for titles. At some point domination gets a little less fun (or does it?) and it becomes about fit.

U of C... would they be a better fit in CCIW or NACC if they remain football-only? They have no MWC allegiances in other sports.

MWC, on the other hand, might be an attractive destination for other programs. I've often said that if you ripped up the current alignments and started from scratch, you'd come up with better geographical and competitive alignments within the MWC, NACC and CCIW footprint.

So no inside dope here, far from it. Just thinking out loud......

Online doolittledog

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #10884 on: April 08, 2019, 03:09:16 pm »

Hearing nothing. Thinking? Well, that's often debatable, but some things make ya wonder, such as...

The state of Beloit and Grinnell rosters.

Macalester... why aren't they in with their neighbors, as they are in other sports?

Monmouth... not sure where they could go, but in so many sports they battle with SNC for titles. At some point domination gets a little less fun (or does it?) and it becomes about fit.

U of C... would they be a better fit in CCIW or NACC if they remain football-only? They have no MWC allegiances in other sports.

MWC, on the other hand, might be an attractive destination for other programs. I've often said that if you ripped up the current alignments and started from scratch, you'd come up with better geographical and competitive alignments within the MWC, NACC and CCIW footprint.

So no inside dope here, far from it. Just thinking out loud......

How about St Thomas stays MIAC and then St Olaf and Carleton bolt for the MWC and Macalester moves all sports to the MWC.  Monmouth then jumps to the CCIW.  Likely?  Probably not.  Fun to speculate?  During this time of year...yes!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude