Author Topic: FB: New Jersey Athletic Conference  (Read 1325957 times)

Offline wdelsean

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
Re: FB: New Jersey Athletic Conference
« Reply #13365 on: December 24, 2019, 07:16:13 pm »
Having called the Wesley/NCC game in 2015, get there a day early, hope the Cubs have a day game, and enjoy that river walk area in Naperville. One of my favorite road trips from a grave perspective.

Offline thewaterboy

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #13366 on: January 03, 2020, 11:18:56 pm »
Wesley Football Last 10 Seasons (2010-19):

- Overall Record: 103-23 (82%)
- Regular Season Record: 84-14 (86%)
- Home Record: 57-7 (89%)
        - 3 of those losses came in the past two seasons.
- 3 NJAC Titles in 5 years in the conference.
- ECAC Bowl Win.

- 9 playoff appearances. 9 2nd Round appearances, 6 quarterfinal apps, 3 semifinal apps.

It was an impressive decade full of exciting wins, let downs, and what-could-have-beens. Wesley was dealt a lot of adversity off the field as well. First with Ben Knapp in 2011 and then losing Coach Drass prior to the 2018 season.

One of the things that has been constant through it all (and part of the reason this team is so fun to follow and be around) is the community that is brought up around the team. It is the reason why former players keep coming back and I think it is the reason why Wesley is able to sustain success when they have fallen behind in terms of other "draws" like facilities, academic prestige, etc. That is thanks to the long-term commitment of the coaches. I think Wesley is very fortunate to have coaches that have stuck around the program for so long to build what we have seen in the last decade. Coach Drass and Coach Knapp started it 30 years ago (and had planned to retire together). Steve Azzanesi has been there 19 years. Bernie Nowakowski (strength) has been there 14). I'd be interested to see how other coaching staffs compare in terms of tenure of coaches (aside from Mount Union perhaps). I know Rick Giancola has been at Montclair forever also.

I hope the next decade brings more success for Wesley both on the football field and financially, so that the doors stay open. I think a very good season is on tap for 2020.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:20:58 pm by thewaterboy »

Offline Teamski

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #13367 on: January 04, 2020, 12:28:40 am »

I hope the next decade brings more success for Wesley both on the football field and financially, so that the doors stay open. I think a very good season is on tap for 2020.

Well stated Jake!  Have a great new years there bud.  We'll see you in the fall!

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

Offline jmcozenlaw

• All-Conference
    • View Profile
« Reply #13368 on: January 04, 2020, 11:34:33 am »
Wesley Football Last 10 Seasons (2010-19):

- Overall Record: 103-23 (82%)
- Regular Season Record: 84-14 (86%)
- Home Record: 57-7 (89%)
        - 3 of those losses came in the past two seasons.
- 3 NJAC Titles in 5 years in the conference.
- ECAC Bowl Win.

- 9 playoff appearances. 9 2nd Round appearances, 6 quarterfinal apps, 3 semifinal apps.

It was an impressive decade full of exciting wins, let downs, and what-could-have-beens. Wesley was dealt a lot of adversity off the field as well. First with Ben Knapp in 2011 and then losing Coach Drass prior to the 2018 season.

One of the things that has been constant through it all (and part of the reason this team is so fun to follow and be around) is the community that is brought up around the team. It is the reason why former players keep coming back and I think it is the reason why Wesley is able to sustain success when they have fallen behind in terms of other "draws" like facilities, academic prestige, etc. That is thanks to the long-term commitment of the coaches. I think Wesley is very fortunate to have coaches that have stuck around the program for so long to build what we have seen in the last decade. Coach Drass and Coach Knapp started it 30 years ago (and had planned to retire together). Steve Azzanesi has been there 19 years. Bernie Nowakowski (strength) has been there 14). I'd be interested to see how other coaching staffs compare in terms of tenure of coaches (aside from Mount Union perhaps). I know Rick Giancola has been at Montclair forever also.

We've got to hope that the community and the former players realize how dire the situation is and reach deep into their pockets to help out if they are able to do so. Speaking to a friend who has been hired in a part-time consulting (around fundraising) capacity.............they need to raise a pretty big chunk of change, especially if the State says, "no more" (as other DE schools see this and want their fair share as well). Good luck to Wesley. I wish them all of the best.

Offline RowanPhan

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13369 on: January 14, 2020, 08:13:32 pm »
Interesting social media update. Rowan may have landed a former NJ high-school star, Ashante Worthy. If he makes the roster, would be a great addition for the Profs.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2018/02/which_nj_class_of_2018_recruits_either_unsigned_or.html

Ashante Worthy, RB, Freehold Borough (5-9, 195)

One of N.J.'s top all-time players and a Shore legend, not to mention NJ.com's 2017 player of the year, Worthy led New Jersey in rushing yards 2,806 rushing yards and 41 rushing TDs while also throwing for 2,106 yards and 20 additional TDs, completing 69.4 percent of his passes in 2017. And despite receiving FBS looks from Rutgers and others, he'll take his talents to Lackawanna in 2018, as he's not an academic qualifier at this point. Worthy projects best to slot receiver or defensive back at the next level of play.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 12:30:26 pm by RowanPhan »
Go Rowan!