Author Topic: World Cup and European leagues  (Read 402591 times)

Offline franklyspeaking

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup and European leagues
« Reply #3030 on: June 19, 2019, 12:15:32 pm »
There must be a better solution than Zardes, must be.

Online jknezek

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: June 19, 2019, 01:13:21 pm »
I think Altidore is the better current option but he is still rounding into game shape and appears to have picked up a knock, again, otherwise he would have started last night. Unfortunately, our striker pool is very, very limited. Lot of hopes being pinned on Josh Sargent, but he's really young and camp did not go well for him. Timothy Weah is also very young and more likely a wing than a striker. Like Sargent, he needs more playing time. Soto had a good U20 World Cup, but calling him young and inexperienced is an understatement and really this U20 WC was his first shining moment.

Now that the foreign based youth contingent is basically covered, you move to some more common names. Jordan Morris had his 15 minutes and injury has really taken any momentum he had, but there is always a hope he can round back into form. He is only 24. Bobby Wood at 26 is languishing. He needs a new team and some game time and hopefully to build some momentum that seems long gone. Has anyone heard from Aron Johansson lately? Terrance Boyd is sitting behind Altidore on Toronto's bench and hasn't been any good since 2014.

And then there are the ones few have heard of. Ebobisse with the Timbers is having a good season at 22. He might be part of the U23 efforts. Rubio Rubin at 24 might still progress if he ever finds somewhere to get on the dang field. Novakovich is floating around the Eredivisie but I don't think anyone really thinks he's national team caliber, except for the fact that no one else is either.

I'm probably missing a few, but the cupboard is not real full. That's why Zardes and Altidore are still out there. I'm not as down on Altidore as most people are. I think he's a very serviceable target forward, though not flashy. His work rate is good. His first touch is generally a problem. But he is nowhere near the brickfoot Zardes continually proves himself to be. And he doesn't disappear or get muscled off the ball. But he is only a target forward. Zardes, when he wants to, can make distracting runs and has better speed. Of course as soon as you pass the ball to Zardes you can count on him blowing it, but he does make a better distraction than Altidore.

Who else am I missing? Looks pretty bleak.

Offline Gray Fox

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: July 08, 2019, 11:51:19 am »
I'm not a knowledgeable fan.  But why did the US look so good in the first half of the Gold Cup final and so lost in the second half.
Camping under the stars is a great chance to view the night sky. And to feed mosquitoes.

Online jknezek

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: July 08, 2019, 12:14:39 pm »
I'm not a knowledgeable fan.  But why did the US look so good in the first half of the Gold Cup final and so lost in the second half.

Mexico made some very good adjustments, ours didn't work out so well. Berhalter has some learning to do, just like the younger members of the team. I did like seeing us hungry again. That was a change from the end of the last WC cycle. But we need to put away our chances. Both teams had them last night. Mexico put one of theirs away, we choked on ours.

Offline Gray Fox

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: July 08, 2019, 03:29:20 pm »
Thanks.
Camping under the stars is a great chance to view the night sky. And to feed mosquitoes.