Author Topic: FB: American Southwest Conference  (Read 2698050 times)

Offline HSCTiger74

• All-Region
    • View Profile
Re: FB: American Southwest Conference
« Reply #22575 on: December 17, 2019, 12:28:02 am »
After watching the games Saturday, it is safe to say UMHB has a better FG kicker in Avila and punter in Fritz than those on the semifinal teams. WOW!

I'm happy with our (UW-W)  kicking game, but didn't you kind of expect that to be the case?  Avila is an All-American, right?  And Fritz?? My goodness, I've very rarely seen a ball explode off a punter's foot like it does off of his. My mind might be making this up, but it seems like it even SOUNDED different.  If he is consistently as explosive as he kicked against UW-W, then he needs to get an NFL look.

I remember an anecdote from Paper Lion when I read it years (and years) ago where Plimpton said that a perfectly struck punt had a very distinctive sound to it, so chances are your mind was not making it up.

Offline Toby Taff

• All-American
  • Downtown Abilene @ night
    • View Profile
« Reply #22576 on: December 17, 2019, 12:30:06 pm »
The UMHB O-line took some pretty heavy "beat-downs" from the pundits on this board after the UWW game.  The podcast after the semi-final focuses on the UWW defense getting 7 sacks against the Johnnie QB, who is a 5,000 yard passer/Gagliardi winner. Perhaps we need to re-assess those freshmen O-linemen.

Please link and listen at about 30:00.

http://www.d3blogs.com/d3football/2019/12/16/atn-podcast-268-early-picks-late-picks-pave-road-to-stagg/
I think our o-line is going to be fine. Their young, but certainly played a respectable game against UWW. Can't imagine being a freshman and getting my first start at center against UWW in the quarters because of an injury in practice on the thursday before. They handled themselves well. Our biggest offensive problem was the QB injury. Jase didn't look healthy, and everything seemed off because of it. That just let the UWW defense feast and made life harder of the O-line.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

Offline Etchglow

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22577 on: December 19, 2019, 08:51:12 pm »
Congrats to Anthony Avila and Joey Longoria for being named to the Associated Press first team. Stephen Sellers made the 2nd team for the Cru.

The only other person from the asc is Anton Clark of ETBU (1st team lb).

Offline DFWCrufan

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #22578 on: December 20, 2019, 09:51:47 am »
The UMHB O-line took some pretty heavy "beat-downs" from the pundits on this board after the UWW game.  The podcast after the semi-final focuses on the UWW defense getting 7 sacks against the Johnnie QB, who is a 5,000 yard passer/Gagliardi winner. Perhaps we need to re-assess those freshmen O-linemen.

Please link and listen at about 30:00.

http://www.d3blogs.com/d3football/2019/12/16/atn-podcast-268-early-picks-late-picks-pave-road-to-stagg/
I think our o-line is going to be fine. Their young, but certainly played a respectable game against UWW. Can't imagine being a freshman and getting my first start at center against UWW in the quarters because of an injury in practice on the thursday before. They handled themselves well. Our biggest offensive problem was the QB injury. Jase didn't look healthy, and everything seemed off because of it. That just let the UWW defense feast and made life harder of the O-line.
Looking back I think a few of us were asking if this would be a team in the shadow of the 2017 Cru and in a way yes. I think part of it is the young line, who will improve as they gel over the next few years but my question is not so much the athletes, but the schemes? It seems to me that if things don't snap right away the Offense calls seem to turn turtle and hope for the D to provide.
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

Offline MUC57

• All-American
  • "PURPLE RAIDERS"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22579 on: December 22, 2019, 10:10:00 am »

To all my friends on this board

Merry Christmas as we celebrate the birth of our Savior.
Glad tidings to all! ✝ 🎄
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! ☠ 🏈

Offline Etchglow

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22580 on: December 23, 2019, 08:46:54 am »

Merry Christmas as we celebrate the birth of our Savior.
Glad tidings to all! ✝ 🎄

The same to you!

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22581 on: December 25, 2019, 02:02:53 pm »
How about a Christmas story in which the protagonist is a UMHB alumna...

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/miss-girard-first-christmas-autistic-student/

Merry Christmas to all!

Offline MUC57

• All-American
  • "PURPLE RAIDERS"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22582 on: December 28, 2019, 09:35:39 am »

An Nou Fericit (Happy New Year in Romanian).
We hope for a peaceful, healthy year.
As I always say , Go Everybody! 🎉 🍾 2️⃣0️⃣2️⃣0️⃣
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! ☠ 🏈

Offline Toby Taff

• All-American
  • Downtown Abilene @ night
    • View Profile
« Reply #22583 on: December 28, 2019, 10:05:36 pm »
How about a Christmas story in which the protagonist is a UMHB alumna...

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/miss-girard-first-christmas-autistic-student/

Merry Christmas to all!
great story Ralph!
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

Offline AO

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #22584 on: January 08, 2020, 02:27:53 pm »

Offline Etchglow

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22585 on: January 08, 2020, 05:08:28 pm »
UMHB picks up a QB transfer from St. Cloud State.  https://www.instagram.com/p/B7EbS2kFgdq/?igshid=1ott2imz30txx
https://scsuhuskies.com/sports/football/roster/justin-czech/4579

Thanks for the heads up.  Man that has to suck having the football team cut like that...