Author Topic: FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference  (Read 2829839 times)

Offline jknezek

• All-American
    • View Profile
Re: FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference
« Reply #23025 on: November 18, 2020, 11:02:38 am »
E&H leaving D-III.
https://www.d3sports.com/notables/2020/11/emory-henry-sets-sights-d2

That will be interesting. I can see what they are going for, given the plethora of D3 schools in VA and the relative scarcity of D2 schools. E&H has been very reliant on athletes to make numbers for a while, so if that stays the strategy, maybe this will give them an edge. Their facilities are probably fine for D2, at least the ones I remember. Certainly the main stadium. I don't recall the gym as well, but I don't remember it being bad.

I wish them luck. It was never one of my favorite places to visit for football games. Sure the crowd was passionate, but I also found them to be more than a bit angry and rude. The last time I was there several tried to pick fights with me and my fraternity brother who were wearing W&L gear. It was entertaining since he is a Federal Prosecutor for SW VA and is married to an E&H grad.

Otherwise, despite the emphasis on student athletes in the campus make up, they never seemed real good at any sport on a consistent basis. They never won a Commissioner's Cup, men's or women's let alone the overall, and never finished higher than 7th in the last 20 years. Mostly in the 8-11 range in the overall, which puts them as one of the last co-ed schools in the conference.

They are something of a geographic outlier in the ODAC, but it's still not real bad especially with the addition of Ferrum. E&H to RMC is less than 5 hours, Va Wes is less than 6 hours, I believe those are the 2 longest as Shenandoah is maybe more miles but a straight shot up I-81. I guess the trips will be shorter in the SAC though, much to my surprise. It doesn't look like they will have a road trip more than 4.5 hours and more than a few schools will be under 2 hours. At worst it is a wash but it does look better. So maybe that was also a big factor? Especially given the SAC is also a private school, liberal arts based conference.

Either way, good luck to E&H. Bummer for ODAC football scheduling, but I'm sure a lot of other sports, already overstuffed, aren't too upset at losing a middle of the conference, at best, program.

Offline HSCTiger fan

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #23026 on: November 19, 2020, 03:48:17 pm »
Guilford is not the only ODAC school to cut majors. https://www.whsv.com/2020/11/09/bridgwater-college-votes-to-cut-majors-programs-and-jobs/

I’ve heard that there will not be a football season in the ODAC in the spring. Mainly because most of the schools cannot afford the testing they would be required to do for Covid-19. Has anyone else heard this?

Pat in the past there was a lot more to report on this time of year. I’m sure there might be many D3 football junkies who would be interested in hearing about the only D3 player in the country being nominated for such a prestigious award.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

Offline R-MC Guy

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #23027 on: November 19, 2020, 04:15:23 pm »
I believe that the ODAC has announced that they will be playing football in the spring (beginning in February) and that they will be publishing a schedule soon.

Offline Scots13

• All-Conference
  • Maryville Man from birth
    • View Profile
« Reply #23028 on: Today at 01:19:56 pm »
Wow. Guilford and Bridgewater cutting Math as a major. I can think of at least 5 “majors” that should be axed well before Mathematics—but that wouldn’t be politically correct. Welcome to educational priorities in the 21st Century, I guess. 
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!