Author Topic: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association  (Read 1478948 times)

Offline formerd3db

• All-American
  • Go Hope!
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association
« Reply #9780 on: August 01, 2020, 04:42:35 pm »
Mutineers -- wow. Harsh! :)

Yeah, probably, Pat! My attempt at levity (poor). 🙂 Although, I was also relating somewhat today past history, as you know, since a couple of member schools have been reprimanded for not confirming to conference unity. One way before even my time, that of Hillsdale being kicked out of the league back in 1960 for playing in post season bowl games!
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Offline waxx

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9781 on: August 03, 2020, 01:56:44 am »

Yeah, probably, Pat! My attempt at levity (poor). 🙂 Although, I was also relating somewhat today past history, as you know, since a couple of member schools have been reprimanded for not confirming to conference unity. One way before even my time, that of Hillsdale being kicked out of the league back in 1960 for playing in post season bowl games!

Wow I had to look it up to because I've never heard that story. https://i.imgur.com/yMKCZr8.jpg

Next question is: Hillsdale was called the Dales?

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
    • Speaking of Alaska - my basketball blog
« Reply #9782 on: Yesterday at 11:06:12 pm »
Yes they were the Dales until 1968.

http://hillsdalecollegian.com/2013/10/hillsdale-did-not-always-charge-on/

Hillsdale's last MIAA football season was 1960, other than playing Olivet three times in 68, 69 and 75 neither the Dales or Chargers have played any other MIAA program in football since.  I don't think they've met much in any other sport either, and I do wonder if Hillsdale is considered sort of "off limits" for MIAA athletic directors.

Anyway, Hillsdale is full of characters and good stories.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:17:01 pm by sac »
Give to Hope
Twitter  -- words, occasional words