Author Topic: West Region Independent Schedule  (Read 47762 times)

Offline oldchap

• Starter
  • I'm a poor lonesome cowboy...a long way from home
    • View Profile
Re: West Region Independent Schedule
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2009, 08:48:47 pm »
Chapman squeaked by with another victory against Santa Cruz today (2/8) by a score of 55 to 51. Since I wasn't at the game, the score has yet to be confirmed. Good for the panthers who, currently standing at 18-3, are having one of their best season ever.

They take on Golden State Baptist (Pacific Christian Athletic Conference) in Santa Clara tomorrow (2/9) in a game that they should logically win. Their next game is against Hope International at home, a GSAC conference NAIA Division I team. Despite the fact that Hope is a perennial last place in its conference, NAIA dI generally offers much tougher competition. So, that will be a good test about the Panthers readiness for the playoffs...assuming the NCAA Gods make it happen... :)

Offline oldchap

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2009, 02:06:47 am »
Chapman posted a big win at home today (2/12) against Hope International, a GSAC NAIA division I team. Hope isn't what you might consider a powerhouse in their conference, but they sport three big men (6'7", 6'8" and 6'10"), some sharp shooting guards and are very physical due to the intense competition of teams such as Biola or Asuza Pacific.

Hope started the game by taking an early 6-0 lead. However, Chapman settled down and came back under the impulse of Soph Griffin Ramme's excellent shooting from long range, leading in single digit most of the first half. The half finished with Dan Aguilar, Chapman small forward tapping the ball for an offensive rebound and a basket at the buzzer. That got the crowd on its feet. The score at half was Chapman 35 Hope 30.

In the second half, Hope came out swinging, quickly taking the lead, keeping it and extending it to about 8 points before Chapman slowly chipped away at it. Hope's big men got in foul trouble one after the other, due to physical plays under the basket. The game was tied several times at 53, 55 57. Big man Junior Jared Kaiser also fouled out, but sub Soph Jon Consani played tough defense and was perfect from the charity stripe. Chapman finally took the lead around the 5 minute mark and never relinquished it, making their free throws down the stretch.

Soph Justin Riley had another double-double with 15 pts and 11 rbds.

Chapman is now 20-3 and even though this game doesn't officially "count", they're starting to build a strong case for a Pool B bid playoff spot.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 02:15:10 am by oldchap »

OxyBob

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2009, 02:44:23 am »
Chapman is now 20-3 and even though this game doesn't officially "count", they're starting to build a strong case for a Pool B bid playoff spot.

Keep dreaming, oldchap.

OxyBob

Offline oldchap

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2009, 01:07:08 pm »
Keep dreaming, oldchap.

OxyBob

Being on a forum, I unfortunately can't tell whether your comment is vindictive, patronizing, or simply innocuous. I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

All I can say is, Chapman beat every single team in the SCIAC this year, except for CLU and Pomona which they haven't played (they scrimmaged and beat Pomona at the beginning of the season). Chapman, IMHO, would finish first this year if it belonged to this conference. Yet, one of these teams is going to make it to the playoffs. I realize that a Pool B bid is extremely difficult to get, but I hope you see the injustice.

OxyBob

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2009, 02:03:06 pm »
All I can say is, Chapman beat every single team in the SCIAC this year, except for CLU and Pomona which they haven't played (they scrimmaged and beat Pomona at the beginning of the season). Chapman, IMHO, would finish first this year if it belonged to this conference. Yet, one of these teams is going to make it to the playoffs. I realize that a Pool B bid is extremely difficult to get, but I hope you see the injustice.

Dose of reality: The SCIAC teams Chapman played are a combined 51-75. Chapman beat 1-20 Caltech, 9-12 Oxy, and beat 7-14 Redlands and 6-15 La Verne twice each. Big whoop. CU didn't play Pomona or Cal Lutheran, so saying that CU would have won the SCIAC is pure speculation. Chapman's OWP is .360; only 5 teams in D-III are worse. Chapman lost to 8-13 Whitman and 6-16 UDallas, which lost to 3-20 La Sierra, which Chapman played *4* times.

Chapman hasn't one signature win, except for the stirring victory over 4-18 "No Hope" International, which is about as good as beating Redlands or La Verne. The only injustice will be if Chapman gets a Pool B bid over a more deserving team.

OxyBob
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 02:07:10 pm by OxyBob »

Offline oldchap

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2009, 03:19:14 pm »
Chapman hasn't one signature win,

Untrue and a total exaggeration in order to make your dubious point. Chapman won over CMS (15-6) and Whittier (13-8), plus CS East Bay (16-6). And true, CU winning SCIAC is pure speculation, but I bet coaches in the SCIAC wouldn't find this offensive.

The only injustice will be if Chapman gets a Pool B bid over a more deserving team.
OxyBob

...And I thought you were a nice guy... Now, I'm starting to understand why no one on this forum likes you. By the way, I'm done arguing. I much prefer civil discussions.

OxyBob

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2009, 03:42:45 pm »
Chapman hasn't one signature win,
Untrue and a total exaggeration in order to make your dubious point. Chapman won over CMS (15-6) and Whittier (13-8), plus CS East Bay (16-6).

The D-III teams Chapman played are a combined 107-160 (.400). Chapman is probably the only team in the country that can boast that they played *2* different teams which are 1-20 (Caltech and Swarthmore) and played another that's 3-20 (La Sierra) four times.

If you consider wins over the 3rd and 4th place teams in the SCIAC, and a win over NAIA-2 CSUEB signatures wins, then woo-hoo, NCAA tournament here we come! However, I doubt that the tournament selection committee will share your enthusiasm.

OxyBob

Online Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2009, 04:51:00 pm »
Gotta side with OB here -- Chapman's 15-3 in-region record is against teams with a .356 winning percentage, the 396th-best schedule in Division III.

Or, the sixth-worst, if that's easier to follow.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline oldchap

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2009, 06:14:44 pm »
Gotta side with OB here -- Chapman's 15-3 in-region record is against teams with a .356 winning percentage, the 396th-best schedule in Division III.

Or, the sixth-worst, if that's easier to follow.

First let me say this, regardless of Chapman's strength of schedule, some pollsters seem to think it's a pretty good team, as they are currently sitting at #31 in the Top 25 rankings.

When it comes down to it, here is what I think: Chapman this year is every bit as good (and probably better) than the best team in the SCIAC, the one that's headed for the playoffs. After all, Pomona the current leader lost against "No Hope" Intl (as Oxybob would say), with a team that has given them a 9-2 conference record.

I know that the SCIAC isn't very strong this year. But in any case, Chapman will probably sit on the sideline while the SCIAC winner will at least have one shot at the playoffs. That's the point I've been trying to make all along, albeit rather ineloquently.

Am I whining? Sure. If you want to put it this way.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 07:55:49 pm by oldchap »

Online Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2009, 09:14:22 pm »
After all, Pomona the current leader lost against "No Hope" Intl (as Oxybob would say), with a team that has given them a 9-2 conference record.

Actually, no. Pomona-Pitzer has a different team thanks to players returning from a semester studying abroad.

http://www.sbsun.com/search/ci_11607345

You may recall OB posted this story earlier, plus, we had it on the front page in the What We're Reading section.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline oldchap

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2009, 11:57:39 pm »
Actually, no. Pomona-Pitzer has a different team thanks to players returning from a semester studying abroad.

http://www.sbsun.com/search/ci_11607345

You may recall OB posted this story earlier, plus, we had it on the front page in the What We're Reading section.

Yes, I remember the story. But you are not entirely right though. The article says "...four players miss the first first eight games because they were studying abroad...". The Hope-Pomona game was the ninth. However, I will give you that out of the 4 missing players, 3 didn't play during that game.

In any case, one fact remains. Some pollsters think that CU is at least pretty decent, because they got 21 points in the latest poll. But except for CMS at the beginning of the season, I don't see any SCIAC team getting any votes lately.

Online Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2009, 12:04:06 am »
Chap, what did I say that was not entirely right?

Pomona-Pitzer has a different team thanks to players returning from a semester studying abroad.

Three players didn't play that game. And for the other, apparently, it was his first of the season. The team making this nice run in the SCIAC is not the one that lost to HIU.

Offline oldchap

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2009, 02:39:59 am »
Yep, another GSAC NAIA Div 1 bites the dust!

Huge night for Chapman again today (2/19) with a surprise win against the Lions at Vanguard University. Vanguard may not be on top of the GSAC (their current Conference record is 6-10), but is considerably better than Hope International, with a lot of size (6'11", 6'9", 6'8") and athleticism.

Chapman and Vanguard exchanged baskets for the majority of the first half. The most for either team was a 4 pt spread (Vanguard at the 14 minute mark and Chapman at 10 minutes). There was 12 lead changes and the game was tied 31-31 at the end of the half.

At 17:24 in the second half, the game was tied at 35 and Chapman took the lead and except for one more tie, never relinquished it. With 3 minutes left on the clock, Ramme had a steal, send the ball up court for a dunk by Kaiser for the first double digit lead of the night by either team. From this point on, Vanguard lost its composure, turned the ball over and eventually finished with a loss of 13 points. Final result Chapman 71 - Vanguard 58. This was the first time Chapman beat Vanguard in something like 8 years.

Chapman was 8 for 12 from 3 pt land and held a +8 rebound margin against taller more athletic players. Griffin Ramme had a career high 28 points and was 5 of 8 from 3 pts. Justin Riley had its 8th double-double of the season with 16 pts and 12 rebounds. The entire team played outstanding defense (5 blocks, 10 steals). Dan Aguilar alone had 5 steals. Junior point guard Kyle Wood was in foul trouble and only played 22 minutes but Freshman Brandon Lin  had 17 great minutes to pick up the slack.

According to another part of this forum, D3 teams nationwide are 9-27 against NAIA Div 1 teams and Chapman has 2 of these 9 wins. Of course, this game doesn't count for the race to secure a Pool B playoff spot. However, despite all the Chapman bashing I have seen on this forum because of their poor strength of schedule, this game again proves that they should get a little more respect and clearly deserve to make the playoffs this year. I hope the NCAA committee sees it that way.

If you consider wins over the 3rd and 4th place teams in the SCIAC, and a win over NAIA-2 CSUEB signatures wins, then woo-hoo, NCAA tournament here we come! However, I doubt that the tournament selection committee will share your enthusiasm.

OxyBob

By the way Oxybob, CMS is now a regionally ranked team, and both Whittier and Claremont are currently tied for 1st in the SCIAC, with an equal chance to make it to the playoffs. (Chapman beat both teams, and the win against CMS happened on the road).

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2009, 03:23:38 am »
oldchap, my most recent look at the Pool B's leads me to believe that Chapman should hope that CMS finishes strong.

The strength of schedule numbers cannot be fixed, but a win over a regionally ranked team, coupled with the dissolution of all of the Landmark teams, may let Chapman in.  (Pabegg has Susquehanna and Scranton quite a bit ahead of Chapman and Maryville).

You also need to watch the strong finish by Maryville.  They have 2 "results" versus Centre (both losses), an in-region loss to regionally ranked Transylvania and a win over USA South leading (but currently regionally unranked) Averett.  Averett could end up in the final (and unseen) regional rankings, if they run the conference table and the tourney, especially as the teams above them are picking up tourney losses.  Averett is 9th of 11 in his South rankings, and at least 7 of the other 10 teams around Averett will pick up losses.  Maryville's conference is relatively weak, so they aren't getting any help in OWP either.

In the West, I think you want Whitworth, Cornell, Bethel and UW EauClaire to lose early. You probably want St Thomas, Puget Sound, and the three best UW's to finish strong.  I don't know if UPS can be knocked down far enough to help you.  I think you want them to eliminate the competition around Whitworth, if possible.
I think that Chapman is the longest long shot of the Pool B's at this time.  (I don't think that Northwestern MN has a chance either.)  I honestly don't know if Whitworth has coattails to pull Chapman into Pool B.

(That Dallas loss really hurts!)

Good luck.

OxyBob

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2009, 10:48:48 am »
By the way Oxybob, CMS is now a regionally ranked team, and both Whittier and Claremont are currently tied for 1st in the SCIAC, with an equal chance to make it to the playoffs. (Chapman beat both teams, and the win against CMS happened on the road).

Congratulations on another meaningless win against one of the crappy GSAC teams. Go play Concordia or Azusa Pacific and let me know how you did. Oh, that's right, Chapman doesn't schedule them. Too busy playing West Coast Baptist again and again.

Chapman has the third worst strength of schedule in all of D-III; only Green Mountain and Wells are worse. CU padded its W-L record with 4 games against 3-21 La Sierra in addition to games against 1-22 Caltech and 3-20 Swarthmore. The only win you have to hang your hat on is a win over Claremont in the first game of the season back in November. Otherwise Chapman couldn't win when it had to against 9-15 Whitman and more importantly 8-17 UDallas, which lost to La Sierra. Ooooooh, ouch!

Pool B for Chapman? Uh, no, I don't think so. Too bad, so sad, bye bye.

OxyBob