Author Topic: BB: Regional Sites  (Read 16665 times)

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
  • Managing Editor, D3baseball.com
    • View Profile
BB: Regional Sites
« on: January 08, 2008, 02:56:47 pm »
One regional this May will be held at Rose-Hulman .

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Regional sites
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 06:04:17 pm »
Regional playoff locations are available at d3baseball.com

Spence

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 09:22:27 pm »
Regional playoff locations are available at d3baseball.com

I keep waiting for the year that Marietta gets shipped to the South site with the regional usually being in Indiana lately. This is looking WAY ahead but this might be it; Danville is a couple hours closer to Marietta than Terre Haute. Selfishly, I hope it happens, because I'd be a lot more likely to make it to Danville than Terre Haute. Also a lot less chance of some stupid wind or hail event or 2 days of rain.

Wooster probably hopes it happens as well :) OK so that was gratuitous, but it was funny.

Hopefully the community will get behind the event and come out. They really didn't all that much for the Big South tournament in the early 00s, but they don't have a Big South team in town. But the Dixie Conference tournament did pretty well. Obviously Averett or to a lesser extent Ferrum qualifying would greatly help. The town loves its baseball, just a question of getting them interested in non-local teams. Glad to see the regional being hosted there; DDP is a solid facility.

I dislike that it seems Marietta's completely been taken out of consideration for hosting, but I do kind of like the idea of predetermining the sites.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 09:36:05 pm by Spence »

OshDude

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 10:42:11 pm »
VERY glad the hosting duties return to a Midwest campus town after a run in Wisconsin Rapids, which has a great facility but just didn't feel right not being in college town.

I'm a little surprised that hosting duties didn't go to Whitewater or Stevens Point because Oshkosh seems to host everything these days, including cohosting in Grand Chute and outdoor track nationals among other stuff. I guess that shows we are decent hosts or something.

But I think UWO head coach Tom Lechnir was the most vocal in getting the regional out of Rapids, and he was rewarded. And I thank him for that; college events should be held in college towns.

That said, the Oshkosh regional will be played on a high school field, albeit one of the finest HS playing surfaces you'll find. If only UWO could get lights at its home field, we could further show off the new(ish) Oshkosh Sports Complex, where the baseball team plays.

And for those planning the trip to EJ Schneider, let's hope they replace the bleachers this spring. There were orange cones and caution tape around broken sections during the state HS all-star classic. And there's no room for media, either.

Anyway, thanks to Tom Lechnir (and others, I'm sure) for getting college baseball out of Wisconsin Rapids. Now you need to get lights and more permanent seating so you can host on your home field and show off the renovations.

Spence

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 11:19:35 pm »
VERY glad the hosting duties return to a Midwest campus town after a run in Wisconsin Rapids, which has a great facility but just didn't feel right not being in college town.

I'm a little surprised that hosting duties didn't go to Whitewater or Stevens Point because Oshkosh seems to host everything these days, including cohosting in Grand Chute and outdoor track nationals among other stuff. I guess that shows we are decent hosts or something.

But I think UWO head coach Tom Lechnir was the most vocal in getting the regional out of Rapids, and he was rewarded. And I thank him for that; college events should be held in college towns.

That said, the Oshkosh regional will be played on a high school field, albeit one of the finest HS playing surfaces you'll find. If only UWO could get lights at its home field, we could further show off the new(ish) Oshkosh Sports Complex, where the baseball team plays.

And for those planning the trip to EJ Schneider, let's hope they replace the bleachers this spring. There were orange cones and caution tape around broken sections during the state HS all-star classic. And there's no room for media, either.

Anyway, thanks to Tom Lechnir (and others, I'm sure) for getting college baseball out of Wisconsin Rapids. Now you need to get lights and more permanent seating so you can host on your home field and show off the renovations.

Quite a bit different than is going on many other places, where the movement seems to be off of campus.

I didn't notice that the MW was at Oshkosh. I saw Danville for the south and sort of lost all bearings lol. Did notice that there were several changeups. I kind of wish the Mideast had been among them; I have no problem with RHIT, their coach is a class guy and nothing wrong with having it there, just geographically out of the way for pretty much the whole region, especially Marietta. It's a 7-8 hour trip depending on traffic through Columbus and Indianapolis and the almost perpetual construction snarl near Dayton that seems to be a given.

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 01:35:52 am »
This is the earliest I remember knowing where the regionals will be played.  I should come south sooner than the Championships.  My brother lives across the river from Augustana and my in-laws are near Danville.

Cutter

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 08:06:27 am »
I am very excited about the mid-atlantic being moved to newark, always a competitive tourny and now with a really great facility (no knock on bear stadium), does anyone know the dates of the regionals, i may try to make a make a trip of it up to the city

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 10:56:42 am »
I am very excited about the mid-atlantic being moved to newark, always a competitive tourny and now with a really great facility (no knock on bear stadium), does anyone know the dates of the regionals, i may try to make a make a trip of it up to the city

Welcome to the boards.

The exact dates are not announced since they don't know if the regional will be a 6 or 8 team.  The approx dates are the weekend before Memorial Day Weekend 21-25 May.

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 10:57:25 am »
I love the fact that Chapman is going to be forced to win the West region away from home. Driggers fields looks amazing on the McMurry website and Ralph has verified its quaility many times.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 05:31:02 pm »
I love the fact that Chapman is going to be forced to win the West region away from home. Driggers fields looks amazing on the McMurry website and Ralph has verified its quality many times.

Walt Driggers Field

Since this gallery of pictures was taken, McMurry has gotten a new scoreboard and has complied with the NCAA ruling on our native American mascot.

The sculpture entitled Spirit Wind still stands in the University Commons.   ;)

Spence

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 08:56:58 pm »
I love the fact that Chapman is going to be forced to win the West region away from home. Driggers fields looks amazing on the McMurry website and Ralph has verified its quality many times.

Walt Driggers Field

Since this gallery of pictures was taken, McMurry has gotten a new scoreboard and has complied with the NCAA ruling on our native American mascot.

Was that really the main hangup to them hosting?

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 09:22:07 pm »

Walt Driggers Field

Since this gallery of pictures was taken, McMurry has gotten a new scoreboard and has complied with the NCAA ruling on our native American mascot nickname.

Was that really the main hangup to them hosting?
Had we continued to use our Native American nickname, the NCAA would have rejected our hosting any post-season games or tourneys.

Offline infielddad

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 11:50:47 pm »
I love the fact that Chapman is going to be forced to win the West region away from home. Driggers fields looks amazing on the McMurry website and Ralph has verified its quaility many times.

BigPoppa, the last time the West Regional was played at a site other than Chapman, Chapman didn't receive an invite.  With TLU, UT Tyler, UT Dallas, Trinity and some others, there is a chance 3 Texas teams could be invited. With the NCAA and travel budgets, that could put a lot of pressure on Chapman to even receive an invite knowing the NWC and SCIAC get an automatic.  Not saying Chapman won't but there have been some awfully good teams at the DIII level who are the victims of travel costs, not talent, when the post season berths are announced.

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 12:22:54 am »

BigPoppa, the last time the West Regional was played at a site other than Chapman, Chapman didn't receive an invite.  With TLU, UT Tyler, UT Dallas, Trinity and some others, there is a chance 3 Texas teams could be invited. With the NCAA and travel budgets, that could put a lot of pressure on Chapman to even receive an invite knowing the NWC and SCIAC get an automatic.  Not saying Chapman won't but there have been some awfully good teams at the DIII level who are the victims of travel costs, not talent, when the post season berths are announced.
Please remember that Chapman is in Pool B.  Please go to the Pool B message board to look at the contenders for Pool B bids in 2007.

I will update Pool B bids (unless Jim Dixon beats me to it.  ;)  )

Chapman is a strong contender for Pool B in 2008, unless CSU-East Bay and Menlo knock them out.

(I don't think that the Landmark Conference hurts Chapman.)

Spence

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 03:00:29 am »

There's also the possibility of moving like a Rhodes or Millsaps out to Abilene if need be, though they could also go north.