Author Topic: BB: Regional Sites  (Read 19954 times)

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Regional sites
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 08:31:36 am »
I love the fact that Chapman is going to be forced to win the West region away from home. Driggers fields looks amazing on the McMurry website and Ralph has verified its quaility many times.

BigPoppa, the last time the West Regional was played at a site other than Chapman, Chapman didn't receive an invite.  With TLU, UT Tyler, UT Dallas, Trinity and some others, there is a chance 3 Texas teams could be invited. With the NCAA and travel budgets, that could put a lot of pressure on Chapman to even receive an invite knowing the NWC and SCIAC get an automatic.  Not saying Chapman won't but there have been some awfully good teams at the DIII level who are the victims of travel costs, not talent, when the post season berths are announced.

There's also the possibility of moving like a Rhodes or Millsaps out to Abilene if need be, though they could also go north.
Spence, neither Rhodes nor Millsaps is within the 500 miles radius of Abilene to be bussed.  However, you're right.  One plane trip versus another makes little difference.

Rhodes can be bussed to Washington University in St Louis; Millsaps to Emory.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 08:37:35 am by Ralph Turner »

Offline infielddad

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 09:42:51 am »
Spence, Rhodes and Millsaps are in the South, not the West, for regional considerations.
Ralph, I agree with your point on Chapman.  I just think it decreases the margin for error and it is a bit premature to already be talking about their chances at McMurry.  On the other hand, being an independent in the West Region increases their chances considerably as only Cal State East Bay normally presents any realistic challenge to them for the post season. While they do have plenty of returning talent, Chapman will feel the loss of Cavan in many ways, I think.

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 10:10:04 am »
As a point of fact for new readers, the Selection Committee is not required to fill a bracket from the teams in a specific region.  If the committee awarded the playoff site to UT-Tyler, then that is in the 500 mile radius of Rhodes, Millsaps and all of the Texas schools except Sul Ross State.

You will see plenty of moving teams to other brackets later at tourney time.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 10:13:09 am by Ralph Turner »

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
  • Managing Editor, D3baseball.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 01:11:40 pm »
(I don't think that the Landmark Conference hurts Chapman.)

The number of pool A teams stayed the same by my count.  The Handbook will have all the details.

Nice to see the NCAA ahead of the curve this yer.

Offline infielddad

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 01:52:01 pm »
As a point of fact for new readers, the Selection Committee is not required to fill a bracket from the teams in a specific region.  If the committee awarded the playoff site to UT-Tyler, then that is in the 500 mile radius of Rhodes, Millsaps and all of the Texas schools except Sul Ross State.

Ralph,  your knowledge is much better than mine on  the NCAA and regional brackets/selection process. 
Historically, however, over the past 6 to 7 years, I don't think there have been any West Region teams assigned to other brackets other than in 2002 when the West was a 4 team regional and the NWC was placed elsewhere.  I cannot think of any team from another region brought to the West since 2000.
Do you think past decisions and bracket considerations will change so that regions may be equalized  based on the quality of play rather than the cost of travel?

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 02:01:58 pm »
In 2003, St. Norbert College (WI), a Midwest region team, was shipped to the West region and played at Chapman.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
  • Managing Editor, D3baseball.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 03:16:30 pm »
Do you think past decisions and bracket considerations will change so that regions may be equalized  based on the quality of play rather than the cost of travel?

Unless the regionals pay for themselves, I see that travel expenses will dominate over quality of play.

I would expect that the West regional to always be in Southern California or Texas for this reason.

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 03:40:47 pm »

Ralph,  your knowledge is much better than mine on  the NCAA and regional brackets/selection process. 
Historically, however, over the past 6 to 7 years, I don't think there have been any West Region teams assigned to other brackets other than in 2002 when the West was a 4 team regional and the NWC was placed elsewhere.  I cannot think of any team from another region brought to the West since 2000.
Infielddad, McMurry was sent to Illinois in 2004 under the previous playoff format.

The expansion of the playoffs in 2005 has meant that more Pool C teams are making the playoffs, and so number of teams from the West region who earn a Pool B or a Pool C bid is changing.  The minimum bracket now is 6 teams.  The maximum is 7.  We have AQ's going to the NWC, the SCIAC and the ASC.  Mississippi College is so far east that they could be shipped nroth or east.  In fact, Millsaps has gone north recently.  A plane flight is a plane flight!

The Handbooks in all sports give heavy weighting to the concept of geographic proximity.  That means that the NCAA doesn't fly teams unless they have to fly them.  You are right about the playoffs being in Texas or California every year.

I think that the playoffs will do well in Abilene.  We just have to live with our bias that the quality of baseball played in the West is very high calibre.  ;)   ;D 

Spence

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 04:16:22 pm »
Spence, Rhodes and Millsaps are in the South, not the West, for regional considerations.

Um, yeah, I know that. Folks in that area usually get sent north when possible though. Having the regional in Abilene allows for another option.

After they sent King's and Elizabethtown to Terre Haute a few years back for no real good reason (in addition to the St. Norbert example), I'm not taking for granted that they'll send everyone to the closest place anymore. If Texas is short on teams, I don't doubt that Millsaps or Rhodes would be options if they're in the picture.

Spence

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 04:25:35 pm »
Newark is one of the largest cities to host a regional.

Obviously St. Louis has, and I think at one point Emory hosted (Atlanta).

Pretty sure this makes Newark the largest city to host a regional that was not on a campus.

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 04:39:50 pm »
Newark is one of the largest cities to host a regional.

Obviously St. Louis has, and I think at one point Emory hosted (Atlanta).

Pretty sure this makes Newark the largest city to host a regional that was not on a campus.

One could argue that Chapman is a part of greater Los Angeles area, but it is still a 30-40 minute ride from LAX.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Offline NCWC

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 05:32:22 pm »
I wonder how Danville got a hold on the south regional....they haven't hosted the USAS tournament in two years and as far as I know the ODAC doesn't use the field either. I just looked at the schedule and the USAS conference tournament is once again in Burlington, NC.  It's a well know fact that the South regional should be held at NCWC, everytime it is we go to the World Series ;)

Is there a contract now with danville and how long will the regionals be played their?
Will the regionals move once shelton graduates from Averett?  It seems like when Yost (drafted) and Guessford left averett the USAS tournament moved from Danville to Burlington, NC. Closer to Maloney (player of the year), and the Pride.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 05:46:54 pm by NCWC »
16 USA South/ Dixie Conference titles, 12 Regional titles, 2  World Series titles

Offline utilitycat17

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 11:02:49 pm »
One could argue that Chapman is a part of greater Los Angeles area, but it is still a 30-40 minute ride from LAX.
Lets not go down this road again.  "The Los Angeles Panthers of Orange, CA".

Spence

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2008, 01:46:14 am »
I wonder how Danville got a hold on the south regional....they haven't hosted the USAS tournament in two years and as far as I know the ODAC doesn't use the field either. I just looked at the schedule and the USAS conference tournament is once again in Burlington, NC.  It's a well know fact that the South regional should be held at NCWC, everytime it is we go to the World Series ;)

Is there a contract now with danville and how long will the regionals be played their?
Will the regionals move once shelton graduates from Averett?  It seems like when Yost (drafted) and Guessford left averett the USAS tournament moved from Danville to Burlington, NC. Closer to Maloney (player of the year), and the Pride.

Danville had the Dixie tournament in Jason Dooley's last year in D-III as well. I don't really know how they got it, but I think it's a nicer facility for it than Burlington or G'Boro, Winston-Salem or Lynchburg, all of which are older places and/or larger than they need to be. And Danville's a city that can use all the help it can get at this point, with the mills having shut down and local tobacco trade practically extinct.

Danville's also probably the most centrally located for the part of the region where most all the teams are. I talked to Ed Fulton one time about the possibility of having an early-season invitational similar to what they're doing in Abilene now at Dan Daniel as an alternative for some teams to going to Florida. He seemed to like the idea, but nothing ever became of it. One issue might be the fact that he/Averett doesn't own DDP.

Anyway, unless you expect a hardy nightlife after the games, I think Danville should do just fine as a site.

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2008, 11:15:05 am »
Lets not go down this road again.  "The Los Angeles Panthers of Orange, CA".

Which road is that, the 105? :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.