Poll

Which undefeated team do you believe will be the first to lose in the NCAA Tournament?

Hope
6 (28.6%)
Thomas More
8 (38.1%)
Howard Payne
7 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: March 11, 2008, 05:14:49 pm

Author Topic: First Unbeaten Team to go home?  (Read 10055 times)

Offline hoopstermom

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: First Unbeaten Team to go home?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 04:12:53 pm »
Ask the Patriots. 

Offline Hoosier Titan

• All-Conference
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 04:32:21 pm »

I know both are bad, but...Do you think that being undefeated and losing in the tournament is more painful then already having a number of losses and then losing?

I think losing is painful.  The university I went to (Indiana) was the last D1 school to have an undefeated season in men's basketball, in 1975-76.  The 74-75 team went undefeated too, until...I think...the sweet 16 final when Kentucky took them out because Scott May, the National Player of the Year that year, had a broken arm.  That was a painful loss, but I don't think it would have been any worse if they'd dropped a game or two along the way.  But maybe time has dulled the pain. :)
You'll never walk alone.

Offline hoopstermom

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 05:44:15 pm »
Seriously, nobody likes to lose.  I think it's better to lose one (or two or a few), make to the tourney and then win it all than to go undefeated all the way to finals and then drop that last one. 

Certainly still a tremendous season, but I feel a tough ending to an otherwise great run.  No redemption for another year.

Offline gatoradio

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 06:34:53 pm »
Update from Berea, Ohio.
Hope clears Juniata 76-47 and advances to the second round to face the winner of DYC/B-W.

Offline gatoradio

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 09:31:55 pm »
Update from Crestview Hills:

Thomas More over Greensboro 76-63.

(This was a really close game - TMC leading by no more than 5 points - until TMC started to pull away with about 5 minutes remaining in the 2nd half).

Offline gatoradio

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 09:08:02 pm »

Thomas More falls to Oglethorpe 65-55.

Oglethorpe led by 8 at the half, but TMC ties it up at 11:55 and the two teams duke it out for the next several minutes.  Oglethorpe then re-takes the lead for good with 7:52 remaining.

And so the first unbeaten team falls...

Offline LogShow

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 05:25:49 pm »

Thomas More falls to Oglethorpe 65-55.

Oglethorpe led by 8 at the half, but TMC ties it up at 11:55 and the two teams duke it out for the next several minutes.  Oglethorpe then re-takes the lead for good with 7:52 remaining.

And so the first unbeaten team falls...

Well that didn't take long...Thomas More still had a good season, and should be proud

Offline quaj

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
    • Student Life Newspaper
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2008, 06:01:26 pm »
So Howard Payne is the last unbeaten left. But being unbeaten doesn't mean being unbeatable.

Just look at what happened with volleyball in the 2007 NCAA Tournament. Wittenberg went undefeated (31-0) until the Final Four round against Wash. U. That was when they got dismantled in a 3-1 loss to the Bears. In that last set, Wittenberg was torn apart 30-15 which is big in volleyball.

Admittedly basketball is a different game but the culture where teams come from plays a role. I watched the University of Wisconsin Whitewater play Wash.  U. in the finals for volleyball and they're a tenacious school. Whitewater athletes know how to persevere. They've also got good fans and they'll be out in full force against Howard Payne.