Author Topic: NCAA sites and officiating  (Read 28165 times)

Offline hoops49

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
NCAA sites and officiating
« on: March 18, 2008, 10:47:18 pm »
Two things:

1)  Hosting a WIAC tourney is one thing and very deserved. But I really believe that when it comes to playing in the NCAA tourney a neutral site is the only fair way to go. Rewarding a team should go only so far as their conference tourney.

2) I would really like to address the officiating problem. I don't know if it's on a local level, but official's performaces in general has taken a dive. I would say that in the last several  years this has become the case. I can remember witnessing only 1 or 2 bad calls in a game, but you're lucky if it's only that many anymore. I don't have any theories except that people in general don't seem to care about doing their jobs. I welcome any thoughts or investigating.

Offline Usuallywrong24

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA sites and officiating
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 11:16:33 pm »

1)  Hosting a WIAC tourney is one thing and very deserved. But I really believe that when it comes to playing in the NCAA tourney a neutral site is the only fair way to go. Rewarding a team should go only so far as their conference tourney.

I agree with you 100%.  In my opinion this happens because of money.  When the best team in the regional does not even get the advantage of home court because it would cost more to fly three other teams in then to fly one team out and bus two, something is wrong.  I also do not like schools hosting, but really hate it when the best team has to take to the road instead of getting the homecourt games they deserve through a season of hard work.

Offline Just Bill

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 11:29:07 pm »
No thanks on the neutral sites (except for the Final Four).  The last thing Division III needs is to play NCAA Touranment games on neutral floors in front of 125 fans.  How is that a quality tournament atmosphere?
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Offline hoops49

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 10:07:12 pm »
No thanks on the neutral sites (except for the Final Four).  The last thing Division III needs is to play NCAA Touranment games on neutral floors in front of 125 fans.  How is that a quality tournament atmosphere?

with all due respect I totally disagree with you. I have talked with many people who can't believe teams are playing on their own floor at the NCAA level. That's what prompted me to start this topic. So be it if there aren't as many fans. That certainly doesn't justify hosting a game on one's own floor. To get to the NCAA tourney is a big deal for these teams. This is the time for teams to showcase their real talent and how can that happen if someone has home court advantage at the national level? Sorry, but it just doesn't make sense.

Offline hoops49

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 10:13:02 pm »
There wasn't much of a quality tournament atmosphere where I was anyway unless you count college students acting like bouncers in front of we menacing parents... :o,  so you might as well do it the right way and have it on a neutral floor.

Offline Wydown Blvd.

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 02:52:15 pm »
Division I women just shifted from a hosting philosophy to neutral sites. So, I have a couple of questions. What makes Division III ready for that change? Also, doesn't hosting create the regional atmosphere/emphasis that the NCAA wants DIII to be about?

Online Greek Tragedy

• All-American
  • I'm my dad's mini-me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 04:22:34 pm »
In D3, it all comes down to money. 

When I was young, Stevens Point was in the NAIA and I liked going down there and seeing all the teams play in Kansas City over a week's period.  That's the only way I could see a neutral site happening, say if they had it at the United Center in Chicago or something.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Online Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 05:13:17 pm »
[I have talked with many people who can't believe teams are playing on their own floor at the NCAA level.

Obviously these people aren't paying the bills for this tournament. Or they just like empty seats.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline buf

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 02:10:26 pm »
Division I women just shifted from a hosting philosophy to neutral sites. So, I have a couple of questions. What makes Division III ready for that change? Also, doesn't hosting create the regional atmosphere/emphasis that the NCAA wants DIII to be about?

Actually, the D1 women's tournament is worse.  From looking at the bracket, there are some neutral sites, but there are some cases where a low seed (high #) is actually the host. 

Iowa State hosted as a #7 seed
New Mexico hosted as a #12 seed

How would you like to earn a high seed and then have to go play a lower team on their home court.  At least in D3 the higher seed almost always hosts.

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
    • Speaking of Alaska - my basketball blog
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 02:36:15 pm »
I can't even begin to describe how much I disagree with neutral sites.  Hosting NCAA games is what makes the tournament special.

In fact I wish the NCAA would go back to having individual game hosts in Round 1.  Its an amazing experience for the hosting school, it helps build a lot of excitement and enthusiasm around host campuses, unfortunately half as many schools get to host now that they've used the "pod" system.

If your a competitor, you really don't care where the game is played, and I'd hope they wouldn't be looking for the old built in excuse............"well, if it weren't at their place. etc. etc.".........Most players will tell you they love playing in front of a big crowd whether home or away.  A neutral site would completely take away from a big part of the game experience.

This isn't even bringing up how poor attendance would be, and how fiscally irresponsible it is to move games from off campuses.
Give to Hope
Twitter  -- words, occasional words

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 03:16:51 pm »
Some of the collateral benefits that may arise from the D-III/D-IV split may the return of more "3-team pods" in the tourney.

Offline Usuallywrong24

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 03:48:02 pm »

How would you like to earn a high seed and then have to go play a lower team on their home court.  At least in D3 the higher seed almost always hosts.

I am glad you put almost since the defending national champ had to go on the road in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8.   ;)

Offline Just Bill

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 04:06:04 pm »
The defending national champion isn't always the higher seed, either.  2007 doesn't count in 2008.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Offline Usuallywrong24

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 04:17:34 pm »
The defending national champion isn't always the higher seed, either.  2007 doesn't count in 2008.

Good point, but they were ranked higher in the poll before the tournament with two of their losses coming to top 5 ranked teams.  I know the poll doesn't mean anything, but I just thought they were forced on the road because of the proximity of their school compared to others in their region, not their play on the court.

Online Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 04:17:42 pm »
I think they were in this case, however.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.