Author Topic: NCAA sites and officiating  (Read 29625 times)

Offline Just Bill

• All-American
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA sites and officiating
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2008, 10:28:01 am »
dballa,

I'm pretty sure Pat meant the fact that only 98 D-I teams could top HPU was unimpressive from a D-I standpoint.  I don't think he's pooh-poohing HPU's support.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Offline dballa

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2008, 10:57:18 am »
If that's the case then that's fine, but depending on how you take it, then it can read differently.

WLCALUM83

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2008, 11:28:25 am »
Wasn't the attendance for the Women's D3 Final still good in Holland, MI despite Hope not getting to the Final Four? (Especially the second day?) I thought the women drew more of an attendance than the men--if I heard correctly.

At Holland, all four teams play on the second day.  That's not the case in the games leading up to the final four.

Folks that have made the trip to the final four to watch their squad have already invested in the trip and most will stay the extra day to support their squad in the consolation game.

Sorry, Champ, I should have posted "for the Semi-Finals nd Final" --the main reason I put in "Final" alone was because I was factoring in that Holland got hit with 6"of snow the day of the semi-finals. I get your point, though.

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2008, 11:59:13 am »
That IS impressive for HPU.

I was referring to Division I attendance not being impressive, however. Depending on how you read it? Yeah, if you have a chip on your shoulder, or don't read carefully.

98 Division I teams had a higher average attendance than Howard Payne.

Having 98 teams higher than Howard Payne, out of more than 300, is not that impressive.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2008, 01:14:09 pm »
That IS impressive for HPU.
I was referring to Division I attendance not being impressive, however. Depending on how you read it? Yeah, if you have a chip on your shoulder, or don't read carefully.
98 Division I teams had a higher average attendance than Howard Payne.
Having 98 teams higher than Howard Payne, out of more than 300, is not that impressive.
Thanks for the kind words about HPU and the community supports.

IMHO, there are several factors working for HPU.

1)  It is the "college" game in town.  HPU has always supported the college team well.  In the 1970's when the NAIA was much bigger, HPU would sell out the Coliseum for the Lone Star Conference games versus (now D-1's) Texas State University San Marcos, Sam Houston State, and Stephen F Austin State.

2)  There are local rivalries that are close by for the other teams fans.  Abilene (Hardin-Simmons and McMurry) at 80 miles away and Belton (Mary Hardin-Baylor) at 100 miles away are close enough for visiting fans to attend.

3)  Those local rivalries are also driving the "revenge" factor.  HPU football is not as strong as earlier in the decade, and the men are having only spotty success in basketball.  The Lady Jackets are a good way to get back at HSU, McMurry and UMHB.

4)  Brownwood High School, (one of the historical powerhouses in Texas high school football) is usually in the football playoffs, at least to the fourth round of the 64-team state playoffs.  Therefore, football season extends thru the HPU fall semester.  When school ramps back up after New Years, you get all of those ASC-West games versus HSU, McMurry and UMHB.  The crowds build momentum behind a successful team.  HPU and Brownwood have grade school promotions for the HSU and McMurry game weekends. (Kids get in free.).  This builds community support.

5)  Some of the community support in this decade has come from the fans from Priddy High School, the home of the Hohertz girls.  Priddy is 10 30 miles away.  Girls' high school basketball in the small towns in Texas is well-supported.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 03:28:25 pm by Ralph Turner »

Offline Usuallywrong24

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2008, 01:22:40 pm »
Howard Payne led D-III in attendance last year at 1,490.  98 Division I teams had a higher average attendance than Howard Payne.

I am glad Howard Payne has a strong following and there are that many people in that community that appreciate their national title.  I wonder how many people in Whitewater even know they had a Final Four team after their weak attendance numbers in the Elite Eight.  Not meant to be a dig at the WW fans, but rather the people who would rather not support their home-town team at games. 

Offline JACKET84

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2008, 02:20:23 pm »
5)  Some of the community support in this decade has come from the fans from Priddy High School, the home of the Hohertz girls.  Priddy is 10 miles away.  Girls' high school basketball in the small towns in Texas is well-supported.

Maybe closer to 30 miles from Brownwood, unless Priddy and Brownwood have increased their city limits.

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2008, 03:26:32 pm »
5)  Some of the community support in this decade has come from the fans from Priddy High School, the home of the Hohertz girls.  Priddy is 10 miles away.  Girls' high school basketball in the small towns in Texas is well-supported.

Maybe closer to 30 miles from Brownwood, unless Priddy and Brownwood have increased their city limits.
Yes, you are right.  I has forgotten that it was on Hwy 16 between Goldthwaite and Comanche.  +1  Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 03:52:02 pm by Ralph Turner »

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2008, 03:39:08 pm »

Yes, you are right.  I has forgotten that it was on Hwy 16 between Goldthwaite and Comanche.  +1  Thanks!

But doesn't 30 miles in Texas equate to 10 miles elsewhere?! ;D

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2008, 07:10:49 pm »

But doesn't 30 miles in Texas equate to 10 miles elsewhere?! ;D
:D   Just like OxyBob's Texas Brains joke except I first heard that joke as an Aggie joke.

Offline Sand Man

• Junior Varsity
  • When ya' got it, ya' got it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2008, 12:28:11 am »

With all this discussion about attendance at HPU games, you might find this interesting.  One of my coworkers and his wife attended most of the HPU basketball games this season, and following almost every game, his wife would tell me how disappointed she was that more people didn't attend the games.  I would try to explain to her that for a DIII school the attendance was actually very good, but I could tell she was never convinced.  I guess she wanted to sell out every game, and you know what, so did I.   ;D
"As important as athletics are to many of us, they should be trumped by academics when it comes to our colleges and universities" - Jake B. Schrum, Southwestern University President