Author Topic: BB: Regional Rankings  (Read 63741 times)

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
  • Managing Editor, D3baseball.com
    • View Profile

OshDude

Re: BB: Regional Rankings
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 04:57:53 pm »
Hmm ... only five ranked MW teams. Come on up north, Central Region or some team that needs a flight. Apparently there's room in the Oshkosh Regional for you as of today.

I would like to think another MIAC team steps into the No. 6 spot in the Midwest, but did the NCAA send a message to the Midwest about the overall strength of the region by ranking just five teams? Interesting any way you look at it, if every other team outside the top 5 is fighting to make the rankings. Probably not the place you want to be.

OshDude

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 05:05:14 pm »
Of the 54 regionally ranked teams, nine are from NE, nine from the M-A and seven from the Mideast. Six teams from all other besides the Midwest, which has five.

Again, interesting. To me at least.

EDIT: Kean's ranking is also interesting to me.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 05:09:08 pm by OshDude »

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
  • Managing Editor, D3baseball.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 05:08:35 pm »
Also interesting: St. Scholastica is missing from the Midwest regional rankings. 

OshDude

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 05:14:46 pm »
Also interesting: St. Scholastica is missing from the Midwest regional rankings. 
Exactly ... looks like it's a horse race for the second MIAC team and CSS to scratch their ways into the rankings.

That CSS loss to Martin Luther must have been really bad in the NCAA's eyes. CSS beat the Nos. 1 and 2 teams in the Midwest Region and are now 15-3 in-region, for crying out loud. If my math is correct, CSS was 9-3 11-3 in-region when the rankings were done. But CSS still had the splits with Oshkosh and St. Thomas on its resume at that time. Who knew that wasn't good enough? And East Bay's (or some other bottom-of-the-regional-rankings team) resume is good enough? I cry foul on these first rankings. I hope the NCAA corrects that one ...

EDIT: UGH! Ripon is NOT 18-13 overall and St. Thomas does NOT play in "Minnestoa." Guess what, NCAA? No team does.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 05:24:07 pm by OshDude »

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 05:57:28 pm »
St. Joseph's (Brooklyn) isn't eligible for the NCAA playoffs either, but St. Joseph's (Long Island) is.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

OshDude

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 06:28:52 pm »
Do the other sports' regional rankings closely correlate to the number of championship-eligble teams in each region?

The breakdown of the baseball rankings bears that out. NE (62 eligble teams), M-A (57) and ME (47) have the most teams and the most regionally ranked teams. The remaining regions are similar in numbers except for the Midwest, which has only 30 teams.

The Midwest had 31 (I think) teams last season, but I don't remember any rankings with five teams. Just trying to figure this thing out and wondering if the Midwest has some sort of quota. Throwing stuff at the wall here ...

Either that or the Midwest Region conference call today was done by four dudes with hangovers or something.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 06:32:25 pm by OshDude »

Offline kscer

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 07:15:30 pm »
Can someone tell me why Eastern Connecticut warrants a #4 ranking in NE with the year they are having? Is it just Holawaty homage or legit?

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 08:06:32 pm »
Could be strength of schedule. We don't have those numbers at our fingertips but in the other sports we cover the OWP and OOWP played a very large role.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

OshDude

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 08:18:08 pm »
Could be strength of schedule. We don't have those numbers at our fingertips but in the other sports we cover the OWP and OOWP played a very large role.
Based on overall schedule against all D3 teams and not just in-region, correct? That's the way I interpreted the Appendix.

Offline d3baseballnut

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 08:28:07 pm »
I am hoping Dixon or someone else can answer this perplexing question for me. WHat are the qualifications for a loss in region, as listed on the regional rankings? I know for a fact Hopkins has only lost one game against teams in their regions which was one to Muhlenberg. THeir other three losses are against keene state, wheaton, and Cortland state, all out of region and pretty far away, and all played in arizona. How are regional records put together, and is it just me, or is their in region record of 24-3 a mistake????

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 08:37:09 pm »
I am hoping Dixon or someone else can answer this perplexing question for me. WHat are the qualifications for a loss in region, as listed on the regional rankings? I know for a fact Hopkins has only lost one game against teams in their regions which was one to Muhlenberg. Their other three losses are against Keene State, Wheaton, and Cortland State, all out of region and pretty far away, and all played in Arizona. How are regional records put together, and is it just me, or is their in region record of 24-3 a mistake????
JHU in Baltimore, MD is in the same Administrative Region (#1) as Keene State NH and Wheaton MA.  Cortland is in Adminstrative Region #2 (NY and PA)

On first review, the JHU's regional record is correct.

FAQ -- NCAA Tournament

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 09:02:32 pm »
Based on overall schedule against all D3 teams and not just in-region, correct? That's the way I interpreted the Appendix.

No, not for regional rankings -- just regional games.

Perhaps in the selection process they would look at the secondary criteria, which includes all Division III teams, but not in the regular regional rankings.

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 09:03:09 pm »
Do the other sports' regional rankings closely correlate to the number of championship-eligble teams in each region?

The breakdown of the baseball rankings bears that out. NE (62 eligble teams), M-A (57) and ME (47) have the most teams and the most regionally ranked teams. The remaining regions are similar in numbers except for the Midwest, which has only 30 teams.

The Midwest had 31 (I think) teams last season, but I don't remember any rankings with five teams. Just trying to figure this thing out and wondering if the Midwest has some sort of quota. Throwing stuff at the wall here ...

Either that or the Midwest Region conference call today was done by four dudes with hangovers or something.

Yes, dude.  The men's basketball regional rankings are allocated that way.  (Women's Hoops are not.)

The number of teams ranked in a Region is roughly one team for every 6.5 teams in the region.

Central -- 40 teams (6 bids times 6.5 = 39)

Mid-Atlantic -- 57 teams (9 times 6.5 = 58.5)

Mideast -- 47 teams (7 times 6.5 = 45.5)

Midwest -- 30 teams (5 times 6.5 = 32.5)

New England -- 62 teams (9 times 6.5 = 58.5)

New York -- 37 teams (6 times 6.5 = 39)

South -- 38 teams (6 times 6.5 = 39)

West -- 40 teams (6 times 6.5 = 39)

OshDude

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 09:41:48 pm »

No, not for regional rankings -- just regional games.

Perhaps in the selection process they would look at the secondary criteria, which includes all Division III teams, but not in the regular regional rankings.
Sorry, Pat. That wasn't clear. So when I later calculate updated OWP and OOWP (might try to pull that off for the MW teams), use only in-region records and opponents for all teams involved? Hope that question makes sense to you.

Ex.: St. Thomas is currently 13-5 in-region. Only use the in-region records of opponents (minus the result of the St. Thomas game(s)) involved in those 18 games, and only those 18 games?