Author Topic: BB: Regional Rankings  (Read 41681 times)

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
Re: BB: Regional Rankings
« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2009, 02:21:59 pm »
One of the things that may be making the rankings look bad is that we're missing some crucial criteria numbers (most especially OOWP).  Similar OWP's may mask very different SOS in the absence of OOWP.

What mystifies me is the volatility of the rankings so late in the season.  In week 2, SNC was unranked.  What could they possibly have done in one week to suddenly be #2? :o
http://www.snc.edu/athletics/baseball/schedule.html

They went 6-0 over the week from Wednesday April 29th to Saturday May 2nd and 15-11 to 21-11 and 13-10 in-region to 19-10 in-region.

(Man, I wish we had Patrick Abegg to work this stuff out.   :(  )
Or a blog with all the OWP's and in-region records for all MW/C teams. If only ...  ;)
Awww dude,

Go clone yourself!  :D

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2009, 02:49:00 pm »
One of the things that may be making the rankings look bad is that we're missing some crucial criteria numbers (most especially OOWP).  Similar OWP's may mask very different SOS in the absence of OOWP.

What mystifies me is the volatility of the rankings so late in the season.  In week 2, SNC was unranked.  What could they possibly have done in one week to suddenly be #2? :o

They went 6-0 over the week from Wednesday April 29th to Saturday May 2nd and 15-11 to 21-11 and 13-10 in-region to 19-10 in-region.

Or a blog with all the OWP's and in-region records for all MW/C teams. If only ...  ;)

OshDude... Ha! FYI: I visit your site 2-3 times a day to check out OWP and other stuff. Great work.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Offline d3baseballnut

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2009, 02:49:53 pm »

I am not saying its not their fault. Yes, they lost their conference tournament. But that doesnt mean we cant demand consistency and efficiency in selection Pool C bids.

When someone voices a concern about selections, and you say "its their fault, they can't complain" it is as if you are saying consistency and good selections dont matter.

The issue is not whose fault it is. The issue is, are the right teams being selected by logical, good criteria.

That is ridiculous that Luther dropped bc they played a bad team. It's not like they lost. They won....4 times. This type of rationale would not survive at any other level. Why should we let it survive here. They should have just canceled the games....

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2009, 02:52:27 pm »

I am not saying its not their fault. Yes, they lost their conference tournament. But that doesnt mean we cant demand consistency and efficiency in selection Pool C bids.

When someone voices a concern about selections, and you say "its their fault, they can't complain" it is as if you are saying consistency and good selections dont matter.

The issue is not whose fault it is. The issue is, are the right teams being selected by logical, good criteria.

That is ridiculous that Luther dropped bc they played a bad team. It's not like they lost. They won....4 times. This type of rationale would not survive at any other level. Why should we let it survive here. They should have just canceled the games....
:D
Basically, their RPI dropped! It's that simple!
 ::)

OshDude

« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2009, 03:18:15 pm »

OshDude... Ha! FYI: I visit your site 2-3 times a day to check out OWP and other stuff. Great work.
So you're the one  ;D. Been up and down as far as site hits go, but it's been fun to do this year, especially with the lack of that info available. I kinda like how it turned out with the right-side rail stuff like the stats page and such. Not the cleanest layout, but it'll do.

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2009, 03:19:11 pm »

:D
Basically, their RPI dropped! It's that simple!
 ::)

Some people can't handle the truth if it hurts their favorites.

OshDude

« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2009, 03:28:08 pm »
Pops,
You have the kids truncating pi to the one millionth decimal or something? You're as active on here as this third-shifter  :). Love it.

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2009, 03:32:24 pm »
Pops,
You have the kids truncating pi to the one millionth decimal or something? You're as active on here as this third-shifter  :). Love it.

Pretty close.... I will be AWOL for the next few hours as I am on my way to practice. Hoping for good news from Kenosha when I return.

Offline d3baseballnut

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2009, 05:58:52 pm »

A couple things:

2. Second, how does Rose-Hulman drop out after going 3-0 this week!?! They have won 8 games in a row....makes no sense, especially considering Otterbein jumped them after going 3-3 this week! That is just stupid guys...c'mon.

5. Fifth, how does Beloit go 3-0 and get jumped by St. Norbort who is 19-10 in region when Beloit is 19-5?

6. Sixth, how does Luther go 4-0 and get jumped by 3 teams?

These rankings are inconceivably random. There must be a better system than this.

Hmm....think d3baseballnut may have not been so crazy???

Beloit......beat st. norbert
Luther....won (Coe and loras lost)
Rose Hulman...now 10 in a row

.......how about changing those ridic regional rankings committee.....

Offline hickory_cornhusker

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2009, 09:37:10 pm »

A couple things:

2. Second, how does Rose-Hulman drop out after going 3-0 this week!?! They have won 8 games in a row....makes no sense, especially considering Otterbein jumped them after going 3-3 this week! That is just stupid guys...c'mon.

5. Fifth, how does Beloit go 3-0 and get jumped by St. Norbort who is 19-10 in region when Beloit is 19-5?

These rankings are inconceivably random. There must be a better system than this.

actually they split their 4 game series.

Offline d3baseballnut

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2009, 11:11:08 pm »

A couple things:

actually they split their 4 game series.

Not tonight....beloit won. Now beloit has won 3 of 5

Offline augie77

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2013, 03:05:06 pm »