Author Topic: BB: Regional Rankings  (Read 50394 times)

Offline d3baseballnut

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: BB: Regional Rankings
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2009, 09:22:28 am »
St. Norbert is ranked 2nd in their region. They certainly will get a look.

Coe is a joke. I don't know who they paid to get on the rankings.

My point is, if Hopkins or a team from any other region had the numbers all around that IWU had....they would not even be in the discussion. This proves that Pool C bids are not nationally chosen but regionally chosen. I could pick 5 pool C bid teams that are more deserving than IWU, but the committee will not take all of them. Additionally, there are teams in the Mid Atlantic  that are ranked, but still have better records/OWP than IWU, but will not get a look bc they are not regionally ranked.

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2009, 09:27:59 am »
D3Nut- you are the biggest conspiracy theorist that I have ever met.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Offline d3baseballnut

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2009, 09:31:36 am »

I dont think the committee is doing it intentionally, i just think their are major inconsistencies in the Pool C selection

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2009, 10:01:29 am »

I dont think the committee is doing it intentionally, i just think their are major inconsistencies in the Pool C selection
If SNC wins the MWC, then they are in.

If they lose 2 games in the MWC tourney, then the committee will look at the recalibrated numbers and look at Pool C.  My guess is that 2 more losses will drop MWC a couple of places.

I struggle to find analogies that "newbies" can use to understand this stuff.

Think NASCAR.  You just had a 15 second pitstop and you drop 9 places in the standings.  It is that close!

Have you actually seen SNC play this season?  The guys on the regional ranking committee are impressed enough with their play to believe that they are the 2nd best team in the Region.

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2009, 10:19:12 am »
What I find impressive is that SNC regrouped after 2008 SS Adam Frost was drafted and left after his junior year. They did not skip a beat and just kept on rolling.

Offline d3baseballnut

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2009, 10:40:36 am »

If SNC wins the MWC, then they are in.

If they lose 2 games in the MWC tourney, then the committee will look at the recalibrated numbers and look at Pool C.  My guess is that 2 more losses will drop MWC a couple of places.

I struggle to find analogies that "newbies" can use to understand this stuff.

Think NASCAR.  You just had a 15 second pitstop and you drop 9 places in the standings.  It is that close!

Have you actually seen SNC play this season?  The guys on the regional ranking committee are impressed enough with their play to believe that they are the 2nd best team in the Region.

I haven't. But are we judging my numbers, or watching them play? That seems arbitrary and not applied to every situation.

BTW, i was surpised that Webster lost. They need to win the tournament

Offline AlleyCat

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2009, 10:50:31 am »
baseballnut. I agree! These committee members cannot see all of the other teams in the country play and the numbers should speak for themselves. Some committee chairs may not be as strong selling the region members and this will hurt there ability to be Pool C contenders if they go by "well I saw them play and they were good!" Reward teams for what they have done during the year as long as they play a good schedule and not all cream puffs. As for league games, you can't change the league your playing as a coach or a player. No one should be looked down on if the league they play in is considered weak. Who's to say what a weak league is anyway. That can change year to year based on recruits and development.  If you're going to go on well they look good, then you need to dig into numbers and see if they have more than 4 pitchers, how they play on the road, can they play D and can they swing the bat. That's how it was done years ago before all of the automatic bids.

I still think the committee is playing games to try to get more Pool C bids for their regions.

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2009, 11:54:46 am »
One of the things that may be making the rankings look bad is that we're missing some crucial criteria numbers (most especially OOWP).  Similar OWP's may mask very different SOS in the absence of OOWP.

What mystifies me is the volatility of the rankings so late in the season.  In week 2, SNC was unranked.  What could they possibly have done in one week to suddenly be #2? :o

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2009, 12:01:47 pm »
One of the things that may be making the rankings look bad is that we're missing some crucial criteria numbers (most especially OOWP).  Similar OWP's may mask very different SOS in the absence of OOWP.

What mystifies me is the volatility of the rankings so late in the season.  In week 2, SNC was unranked.  What could they possibly have done in one week to suddenly be #2? :o
http://www.snc.edu/athletics/baseball/schedule.html

They went 6-0 over the week from Wednesday April 29th to Saturday May 2nd and 15-11 to 21-11 and 13-10 in-region to 19-10 in-region.

(Man, I wish we had Patrick Abegg to work this stuff out.   :(  )

Offline d3baseballnut

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2009, 12:27:29 pm »

They went 6-0 over the week from Wednesday April 29th to Saturday May 2nd and 15-11 to 21-11 and 13-10 in-region to 19-10 in-region.

But Luther went 4-0 and dropped out completely?

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2009, 01:08:43 pm »

But Luther went 4-0 and dropped out completely?
No.  Luther dropped to 6th when Dubuque's in-region winning percentage numbers (2-20 in conference/ 5-25 in-region (.167)  and 8-31 overall) were added into the OWP/OOWP calculations.  That can explain the committee's decision.

http://www.iowaconference.com/TASBS/2009-BB/HTML/dbq.htm

April 30th
Central Region
1. Carthage 23-5 19-2
2. Illinois Wesleyan 21-10 19-9
3. Webster 26-11 25-7
4. Buena Vista 25-9 20-8
5. Luther 23-11 21-11
6. Beloit 22-7 16-5

May 7th
Central Region
1. Carthage 29-5 25-2
2. St. Norbert 21-11 19-10
3. Illinois Wesleyan 23-13 21-12
4. Coe 21-17 20-12
5. Loras 25-12 20-11
6. Luther 27-11 25-11
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:15:44 pm by Ralph Turner »

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2009, 01:11:40 pm »
What people need to realize is that each team only has themselves to blame if they are left out. Every team can point to one or two losses to teams they should have beaten and see that it is their own fault they were not invited, not the committee's.

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2009, 01:13:46 pm »
What people need to realize is that each team only has themselves to blame if they are left out. Every team can point to one or two losses to teams they should have beaten and see that it is their own fault they were not invited, not the committee's.
Exactly, just like a NASCAR race where one bad pit stop of 2 seconds delay can drop a car from first place to out of the Top 10.

There is that little tolerance for error!

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2009, 01:26:32 pm »
Exactly, just like a NASCAR race where one bad pit stop of 2 seconds delay can drop a car from first place to out of the Top 10.

There is that little tolerance for error!

...but those teams/fans will not often see it as their own fault.

OshDude

« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2009, 02:03:37 pm »

Or a blog with all the OWP's and in-region records for all MW/C teams. If only ...  ;)