Author Topic: Liberty League  (Read 270716 times)

Offline LibertyLeagueGuru

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
Re: Liberty League
« Reply #1875 on: January 02, 2015, 02:06:35 pm »
Excited for tonights tip off of Liberty League Play!! Here are my predictions for tonight:

Union Over Vassar 73-58

St. Lawrence over RPI 65-60

Skidmore over RIT 84-76

Online magicman

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: January 04, 2015, 10:48:54 am »
Skidmore with the worst overall record of almost every other LL team (only Vassar and RPI with worse records), yet the Thoroughbreds are alone at the top of the conference standings after the first weekend of play. And that 2-0 mark should turn into 4-0 after next weekend's action, making their claim to sole possession of the top spot at least a 3 week affair.

Skidmore, with a few breaks, could just as easily be 8-2 instead of 5-5. They have 3 losses by a total of 5 combined points. They have played the strongest non-conference schedule of all the LL teams which will only benefit them when it gets down to crunch time. Their SOS is currently rated as the 61st toughest schedule out of the 400+ teams in D3. By comparison 6 of the teams in the Liberty League have a strength of schedule rated as follows....206, 290, 308, 335, 379, and 405. Even if you end up with a gaudy overall record, if you don't win the conference's automatic bid, you won't receive an at large bid with an SOS as high as those 6 numbers.

You need to look no further than Union's 2012-13 season...20-6 record, poor SOS,  Plattsburgh State, 19-8 record, one of the strongest SOS's in the East Region. The Cardinals got the at large bid out of the East Region that year. It's hard to be more than a one bid league if the teams in the league don't play a stronger schedule. The non-conference portion of a team's schedule is the only area where there is some leeway and more schools need to upgrade the competition they face in those games.     

Offline ucaafan

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: January 04, 2015, 06:24:03 pm »
Agree with you completely on strength of schedule value. Seems like certain teams load up on less competitive programs during the non-league portion of their schedule (kind of like vanity plates) while those teams that look for the tougher teams to play are better prepared once their league season begins. I felt that Skidmore and Union had two of the most challenging non-league skeds this year and a look at their SOS and you have Skidmore at 61 and Union at 70. Be interesting to see how the records compare come playoff time.

Offline with age came?

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: January 06, 2015, 10:16:19 pm »
Well I guess that now that I am the Dad to a married man (yes magic - it happened Saturday) I'll have a little more time to peruse the d-3 schedules.  Anxious to see how Clarkson comes out of the gate after their long lay off...An amazing thing occurred the other day I wrote "Go Continentals" in an e-mail when they (Hamilton) played D'Youville?  Being such a die hard Golden Knights fan I was amazed that I did that but have too many fond memories of Coach Stockwell not to root for him!!  They did edge Hobart at the Statesmen's place which is hard to do.  Looks like Jeremy's little bro is starting to make his own name?? But I think that everyone will agree the LL is not the bear of the league that Hamilton plays in!!!

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: January 08, 2015, 02:04:34 pm »
It makes sense for teams that are trying to make a case for an at large bid to play a difficult schedule. Looking at the conference though, it seems only 2 teams really came in with that as a realistic expectation (Skidmore & Vassar). If you think you are going to be having an average or down year, doesn't it make sense to play an easy out of conference schedule?

Observations from the first few games:
Skidmore - Flexed it's muscles in the first weekend sweeping RIT & Vassar. Early on, it seems they are the team to beat and the overwhelming favorite to win the conference. The fact that they swept the weekend without their starting center makes it all the more impressive.

Union - Disappointing first game losing to Vassar at home. But nice bounce back win destroying St. Lawrence. It seems their lack of size was a huge factor vs. Vassar. Could be something to watch for when they go against the bigger Liberty League teams. Then again, they beat NYU who is gigantic.

Vassar - Great first win against Union and went toe to toe with Skidmore. Seemed like they were back and on their way to the a top playoff seed and then they lost to Bard..... It is difficult to gauge exactly how good this team is as they had a disappointing first semester and a great first weekend. Johnny Mrlik is still out, so when he comes back that could really stabilize them as they seem to be inconsistent right now. 

RIT - Expected results from the first weekend beating RPI and losing to Skidmore. Really enjoy watching their freshman point guard, plays with alot of energy and intensity. A bit wild however but undeniably dangerous.

St. Lawrence - Starting 2 freshman and 2 sophomores means they will be inconsistent and will get better as the year goes along. Nice win on the road vs. RPI but obviously losing by 25 to Union wasn't ideal.

RPI - Seems like they have depth issues. They lost Cardenas from last year who was a huge contributor and that really hurt them. Coach Gilbride will have some recruiting to do.

Bard - Defeating Vassar in their first conference game on the road probably opened some eyes around the conference, considering they were picked to be last in the conference and Vassar was selected first. We will see if that was a fluke this weekend as they have a challenging Skidmore/Union back to back on the road.

Offline with age came?

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: January 21, 2015, 11:25:54 pm »
Of course Clarkson seems to be doing alright?  Only league loss is to Skidmore (who is the class of the league it appears).  Think that the Golden Knights are definitely a playoff team barring a disaster (ie: Coleman not being able to play).

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: January 22, 2015, 04:48:05 pm »
Yes, I thought Clarkson would be decent this year but I am very surprised that they stand 4-1 at this point. They should push their record to 6-1 after this weekend. They assist on over 70% of their field goals which is an amazing stat. Clarkson & Bard are definitely the surprises of the league. Vassar & Union have to be disappointed at this point with their performances. Everyone else kind of is where they were expected to be.