Author Topic: Championship Predictions  (Read 17577 times)

Offline Gramps

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: Championship Predictions
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 05:52:51 pm »
Here goes nothing:

New England: Wheaton (Mass)
New York: Cortland State
South: Millsaps
West: Texas-Tyler
Midwest: UW-Oshkosh
Central: Carthage
Mid-Atlantic: Kean
Mie-East: Wooster

Big Poppa,  On your Mid-East prediction, Wooster and Heidelberg played a DH in Florida , 3-8-09.  They split , with Wooster winning  game 1, 16-12 and Heidelberg winning game 2, 13-4.

In 08, they met 3 times, with Wooster winning once and The Berg winning twice.
Just to let you know of the history between the 2 teams.

They will also meet  4-22-09 for a single game at Heidelberg begining at 4:00PM.

Offline BaseballFan

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 11:13:37 pm »
Never afraid to say what I think:

Midwest: St. Thomas

That's strong, Jim. I also think, as of now, Wheaton or Trinity will be in NY and Millsaps in Illinois. Think another NE team will be in NJ?

MW: Oshkosh

I think that St. Scholastica will be a key component in the midwest.  I would not want to face Burg in game one and I expect the team that does not draw St. Scholastica has the advantage.  

Wit this said, St. Scholastica, St. Thomas or UW-osj=hkosh have to be the favorites.

As for a New England team in the Mid Atlantic.  I think not.  I expect the New England, New York to be 8 team regionals.  Maybe the South or West for the third depending on how many West teams make the playoffs.
Preaching to the choir on that. Probably no bigger fan/respecter of CSS in Oshkosh than I. It's the Oshkosh part of that scenario that precludes me from picking CSS ... or UST, SOC, etc. for that matter  ;).

UWO, CSS, UST have the best pitching depth
UWO Demmin, Reubens, Kannenberg only 1 of those 3 pitched in the playoffs last year which was baffling.
CSS Burg, Kummet, Gerten 2-1 in regional starts last year
UST Schuld, Olson (struggling), Fahey, Leslie (might not pitch at all) 1-2 in regional starts last year

If I was going to pick a pitching staff, I would go with CSS definately best 1-2-3 combo. Hitting goes to Oshkosh in my opinion.

But in the end I think whoever is blessed by the NCAA to get a #1 seed will have a big advantage so whoever gets it this year will be heading to appleton from the midwest

Offline BaseballBug

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 11:27:27 pm »
A reminder of the D3baseball.com picks at the beginning of the season:

New England: Southern Maine
New York: Cortland
South: Salisbury
West: Chapman
Central: Carthage/Illinois Wesleyan
Mid-Atlantic: Johns Hopkins
Mid-East: Heidelberg/Adrian

I was going to expose myself to ridicule by picking Hopkins to win the Mid-Atlantic Regional, but I had to work late this afternoon and you beat me to it, Jim.  Hopkins is too good to be this bad, and it looks to me like the NJAC is a little weaker this year than in years past.  Hopkins is a bold choice, since as of this moment they're not even in the conference tournament (top four teams).  No problem though--get to the tournament, win the tournament, go to the regional, win the regional.  See you in Appleton.

Hopkins is indeed a very bold pick. They need big wins from Angeloni like they got last year. Last year he beat everyone. The Mid-Atlantic is very winable tho. Are they too good tho? they have some bad loses to go with losses to Wheaton, E.Conn, and Southern Maine. i don't think the tough schedule argument works for them anymore.

Offline mideastfan2

• Starter
  • 6 National Titles - 1981, 83, 86, 2006, 2011-12
    • View Profile
    • Marietta College Baseball
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 09:10:51 am »
Here goes nothing:

Big Poppa,  On your Mid-East prediction, Wooster and Heidelberg played a DH in Florida , 3-8-09.  They split , with Wooster winning  game 1, 16-12 and Heidelberg winning game 2, 13-4.

They will also meet  4-22-09 for a single game at Heidelberg begining at 4:00PM.

Marietta will have a say in who takes the Mideast this year.  They swept Heidelberg in Tiffin, and played Wooster to an extra inning mid-week loss on the road this year.

They will most likley play Heidelberg at least once more this year in the OAC tournament as well.

I think with the Mideast regional being held in Adrian, Michigan this year, there is a high possibility that a team from Wisconsin could be shipped in, or a team from the Central.  That could make that regional even more competitive than in year's past.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 09:45:28 am by mideastfan2 »

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 10:18:49 am »
Here goes nothing:

Big Poppa,  On your Mid-East prediction, Wooster and Heidelberg played a DH in Florida , 3-8-09.  They split , with Wooster winning  game 1, 16-12 and Heidelberg winning game 2, 13-4.

Gramps- I am well aware of their history. Still, I think Wooster is the better team and has a better chance to win that region than the Berg does. Call me crazy, but I tend to look at teams with my eyes, not my heart (or I would haved Carthage ranked #1 every week).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 10:21:41 am by BigPoppa »
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Offline BoomerIL

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 11:19:09 am »
Here goes nothing:

I suppose being a Rochester "homer" and for that matter a New York "homer" as well, I really don't see why many of of the experts here don't think that UR or RPI stand a chance of getting to the tournament.  You don't even consider Ithaca???  They beat Cortland, like Rochester did.  Rochester and Ithaca scheduled to play Tuesday, weather permitting.

I can see making a prediction on performance, but sometimes I think everyones predictions are based on the past.  To me that don't doesn't make sense.  Maybe in pre-season it does, but not leading up to the tournament.  Ithaca has been playing some really solid baseball, yet no mention of them.

Then, some of the experts predict that a New England team will fill the New York Region spot for the tournament.  What sense does that make??  If you have regions that are set-up to be in the tournament, then they should be.  If your moving teams with better records to another region, then where is the fairness?  Don't the teams in the New York region, or any other region deserve a chance at going to Wisconsin without compromising a team losing a chance within that region?  A better solution is to maybe have the top eight teams in the country in the tournament, and forget everyone else.  Or how about having the top four teams from each region compete in single elimination games to determine who goes to Wisconsin.

You gentlemen on these boards have been involved in DIII baseball a heck of a lot longer than me or will probably ever be, I just don't understand why things can't be easier to resolve.  Is it because many feel that there are weaker regions than others?  Why move a stronger team from one region into another?  I've tried to understand the thinking, the fairness, but still don't.  I know this topic has been covered before, somewhere, and is probably beating-a-dead-horse, but it is still confusing.  Reasons and opinions are welcome.  Thanks.
"You observe alot by watching"  -  Yogi Berra

Offline John McGraw

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 12:46:52 pm »
Ithaca hasn't been to the World Series since 1994.

They just haven't been able to get over the cortland hump in the playoffs. And when they've gotten past Cortland, another team's been there to stand in the way like RPI ('02) and Brockport ('04).

Ithaca's best chance at the Series IMO was in 2007. Ithaca won three straight games in Auburn and had complete games from Shane Wolf and Adam Brown while ace Kyle Sottung threw just seven in Ithaca's tournament opener. But, things fell apart against a very good Cortland team in the championship round.

The Bombers have beaten the Red Dragons just twice in the regionals in recent memory (post-1999) and that was in 2002 and 2004. Since then, C-state is 5-0 against Ithaca in the playoffs.

And, IMO, this year's Ithaca team doesn't have enough pitching. Seven pitchers have seen regular action this year with two others making one appearance apiece. Those numbers can't get you through a four to five day tournament.

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 02:04:14 pm »
Here goes nothing:

I suppose being a Rochester "homer" and for that matter a New York "homer" as well, I really don't see why many of of the experts here don't think that UR or RPI stand a chance of getting to the tournament.  You don't even consider Ithaca???  They beat Cortland, like Rochester did.  Rochester and Ithaca scheduled to play Tuesday, weather permitting.

I can see making a prediction on performance, but sometimes I think everyones predictions are based on the past.  To me that don't doesn't make sense.  Maybe in pre-season it does, but not leading up to the tournament.  Ithaca has been playing some really solid baseball, yet no mention of them.

Then, some of the experts predict that a New England team will fill the New York Region spot for the tournament.  What sense does that make??  If you have regions that are set-up to be in the tournament, then they should be.  If your moving teams with better records to another region, then where is the fairness?  Don't the teams in the New York region, or any other region deserve a chance at going to Wisconsin without compromising a team losing a chance within that region?  A better solution is to maybe have the top eight teams in the country in the tournament, and forget everyone else.  Or how about having the top four teams from each region compete in single elimination games to determine who goes to Wisconsin.

You gentlemen on these boards have been involved in DIII baseball a heck of a lot longer than me or will probably ever be, I just don't understand why things can't be easier to resolve.  Is it because many feel that there are weaker regions than others?  Why move a stronger team from one region into another?  I've tried to understand the thinking, the fairness, but still don't.  I know this topic has been covered before, somewhere, and is probably beating-a-dead-horse, but it is still confusing.  Reasons and opinions are welcome.  Thanks.
The problem with the regions is that they do not have an equal number of schools.  There is no practical way to carve D3 into (360 divided by 8 equals) 45-team regions.  Everyone has equal access to the playoffs.  If we went with 45 team regions, then we would need to move 10 schools into the New York Region from somewhere.  Who might volunteer to move to the 38-team New York Region?  The 7-team NEWMAC?   ;)

The Evaluation Regions are there for the teams to be evaluated on a local basis and then in turn by one representative to the National Committee from each region to look at the big picture.

If we just restricted the New York Region to those teams that "live" in New, then we would only see a 5- or 6- team bracket.  With 54 bids to give, there must be some 8-team brackets out there.  Fortunately, the proximity of 8-teams to one venue allows the NCAA to cut travel costs.  Most accurately, the NCAA has moved towards calling the regional tournaments by the location and not the Region.

Offline BoomerIL

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 02:33:27 pm »
Ralph....

Good explanation.  Thanks!!

Offline BoomerIL

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 02:49:09 pm »
Ithaca hasn't been to the World Series since 1994.

They just haven't been able to get over the cortland hump in the playoffs. And when they've gotten past Cortland, another team's been there to stand in the way like RPI ('02) and Brockport ('04).

Ithaca's best chance at the Series IMO was in 2007. Ithaca won three straight games in Auburn and had complete games from Shane Wolf and Adam Brown while ace Kyle Sottung threw just seven in Ithaca's tournament opener. But, things fell apart against a very good Cortland team in the championship round.

The Bombers have beaten the Red Dragons just twice in the regionals in recent memory (post-1999) and that was in 2002 and 2004. Since then, C-state is 5-0 against Ithaca in the playoffs.

And, IMO, this year's Ithaca team doesn't have enough pitching. Seven pitchers have seen regular action this year with two others making one appearance apiece. Those numbers can't get you through a four to five day tournament.

John.....

Then its understandable that without a deep pitching staff, most teams won't have much of a chance to advance to a regional, or on to Appleton.  I have noticed that some schools have as many as 15 pitchers listed on their rosters, if not more.  These schools are probably the schools that are in the mix, year in and year out.

So as much as I would like to see Ithaca, RPI, Cortland, and even Rochester be in the regional mix, but as usual, pitching makes or breaks everything.

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 10:27:46 pm »
I have been down on Cortland all season, but I have a feeling that they will do some serious damage in the tournament and keep Ithaca and Rochester in New York for Memorial Day.

I remember Ithaca's last trip to the series well as we played them in Battle Creek in '94.

Offline Gramps

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 11:50:37 am »
Here goes nothing:

Big Poppa,  On your Mid-East prediction, Wooster and Heidelberg played a DH in Florida , 3-8-09.  They split , with Wooster winning  game 1, 16-12 and Heidelberg winning game 2, 13-4.

Gramps- I am well aware of their history. Still, I think Wooster is the better team and has a better chance to win that region than the Berg does. Call me crazy, but I tend to look at teams with my eyes, not my heart (or I would haved Carthage ranked #1 every week).

BigPoppa,  I'm confused,  first you say that Wooster has more talent "is the better team".. ."to win that region than the Berg does".

Than today you put out your top 25 Poll with:

"08  Heidelberg... great team that is overlooked in it's region"

"15 Wooster ......"  ....?????

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 11:56:09 am »
8. The Berg...
15. Wooster

While I think Heidelberg is currently the #8 team in the nation, I still see Wooster as a better team when it come to the NCAA regional. You are confusing my weekly rankings with my post-season prediction.

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
  • Managing Editor, D3baseball.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 12:43:50 pm »
A reminder of the D3baseball.com picks at the beginning of the season:

New England: Southern Maine
New York: Cortland
South: Salisbury
West: Chapman
Central: Carthage/Illinois Wesleyan
Mid-Atlantic: Johns Hopkins
Mid-East: Heidelberg/Adrian

I was going to expose myself to ridicule by picking Hopkins to win the Mid-Atlantic Regional, but I had to work late this afternoon and you beat me to it, Jim.  Hopkins is too good to be this bad, and it looks to me like the NJAC is a little weaker this year than in years past.  Hopkins is a bold choice, since as of this moment they're not even in the conference tournament (top four teams).  No problem though--get to the tournament, win the tournament, go to the regional, win the regional.  See you in Appleton.

Hopkins is indeed a very bold pick. They need big wins from Angeloni like they got last year. Last year he beat everyone. The Mid-Atlantic is very winable tho. Are they too good tho? they have some bad loses to go with losses to Wheaton, E.Conn, and Southern Maine. i don't think the tough schedule argument works for them anymore.

Just a reminder that the picks above are predictions from the previews.   JHU does not appear to have it this year.   For the first time in a long time, the Mid-Atlantic regional will not be as loaded as in previous years.

Offline d3baseballnut

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 01:01:33 pm »
JHU hasnt been able to get it rolling this year. However, don't everyone start jumping ship just yet. They just swept conference leading Franklin and Marshall by a combined 30-9 on the road. They have 3 good starters. If their bullpen holdds up, with their offense (team .366 average), I am telling you, don't sleep on them this postseason.