Author Topic: Championship Predictions  (Read 17576 times)

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
Re: Championship Predictions
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2009, 12:35:42 pm »
Count me in: MY dream-

West- Carthage
Midwest- Carthage
MidAtlantic- Carthage
South- Carthage
NY- Carthage
Central- Carthage
New England- Southern Maine (Only because of the East Coast Travel involved for Carthage :) )
MidEast- Carthage

+1 Big Poppa, let me get this straight If Carthage gets through the regionals then they will have to travel to play Carthage in Appleton. ???
Why even go to Fox cities we can do this on D111 boards and save the travel expense for the NCAA plane flights ;D :D ;) :) 8)

Wait I have a better idea they will need to Appleton to pick up there All Ameican trophy's so when they are there they can also go to the Wooden Nickle for there 1st and 2nd team trophy's

Exactly!!! The Wooden Nickle is a place I grew up going to for burgers with my family and still visit every time I get home. Best burgers in the Fox Valley.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

OshDude

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2009, 02:50:36 pm »
Count me in: MY dream-

West- Carthage
Midwest- Carthage
MidAtlantic- Carthage
South- Carthage
NY- Carthage
Central- Carthage
New England- Southern Maine (Only because of the East Coast Travel involved for Carthage :) )
MidEast- Carthage

+1 Big Poppa, let me get this straight If Carthage gets through the regionals then they will have to travel to play Carthage in Appleton. ???
Why even go to Fox cities we can do this on D111 boards and save the travel expense for the NCAA plane flights ;D :D ;) :) 8)

Wait I have a better idea they will need to Appleton to pick up there All Ameican trophy's so when they are there they can also go to the Wooden Nickle for there 1st and 2nd team trophy's

Exactly!!! The Wooden Nickle is a place I grew up going to for burgers with my family and still visit every time I get home. Best burgers in the Fox Valley.
Ah, the Nickel ... it helped make me even happier to be visiting my friends who went to Lawrence. Have not been there in a couple of years, although I should be able to find several old drink tokens around my place for this year's WS.

Offline TheGNAC

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2009, 06:33:39 pm »
Hi guys, there's been a lot of discussion on the New England boards concerning the regionals and how many New England teams will be awarded at-large bids (and if any NE team will be sent to New York). I've given it some thought, and I think this scenario is most likely.

Automatic bids:

NEWMAC: Babson - already wrapped up.
GNAC: Suffolk - already wrapped up.
----
MASCAC: Bridgewater State - BSC looks to be in the driver's seat, as they're in the winners bracket as the #2 seed. #1 seed Worcester State will have a tough go of it after losing yesterday.

LEC: Southern Maine - #1 team in the nation has this locked up, in my opinion.

NAC: Castleton State - Don't see any reason why the #1 seed and last year's qualifier shouldn't get it again this year.

TCCC: WNEC - The Golden Bears are in the driver's seat in the on-going TCCC tournament, and I think they earn the automatic bid for the 2nd consecutive year.

NESCAC: Trinity - Probably the surest bet to earn a Pool A bid aside from the two who already have.

----------------

Alright, so if things go as planned, it looks like the 7 automatic bids in NE are awarded to the teams above. That leaves the following teams awaiting word for Pool C bids, based on yesterday's regional rankings.

Eastern Connecticut
Wheaton
Curry
WPI
Williams
Worcester State

Assuming the above all plays out that way, I foresee New England being awarded 2 at-large bids, with 1 of the 9 New England teams being shipped to New York. In this scenario, here's how I think it breaks down.

The at-large bids are awarded to:

1. Eastern Connecticut
2. Wheaton/Curry (The former being the more likely pick, the latter the more deserving)

Assuming all of this happens, here's what I think happens re: regionals.

New England Regional @ Eastern Connecticut

1. Southern Maine
2. Eastern Connecticut
3. Wheaton/Curry
4. Suffolk
5. WNEC
6. Babson
7. Bridgewater State
8. Castleton State

-----------------

Trinity College, the automatic qualifier from the NESCAC, is shipped to Farmingdale, NY for the New York regional as the #1 seed. Hartford, CT is just 133 miles from Farmingdale, well within the 500 mile limit.

-----------------

Any thoughts?

Offline Stump

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2009, 08:28:56 pm »
TheGNAC,
Another great analysis,  well thought and solid reasoning.

My thoughts earlier today were:
1 USM
2 Trinity
3 ECSU
4 Suffolk
5 WNEC
6 Babson
7 Worcester State
8 Castleton

At large to NY: Curry or Wheaton

I didn't pick Trinity to be shipped to NY although I did consider it as one of the scenarios and it certainly makes sense. It would sure make them the favorite in that regional. 

I picked Curry or Wheaton as the team to go to NY.  From the results from the last week, I would have to think if one gets left out it should probably be Wheaton.  Geographically Trinity is the obvious choice to send to NY but all the teams except USM are a relatively easy trip to go to NY(and even USM is inside the 500 mile limit). So almost any team could be shipped out.

I had Worcester winning the MASCAC(before I had seen the 1st round scores from their tourney(and they certainly have a long road now) so Bridgewater is a logical choice but they are both 7th seeds anyway.

It's a good way to waste(I mean pass ;D) some time at work.  keeps the brain functioning considering the various possibilities and sure beats actually working ;)

Offline d3baseballnut

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2009, 09:09:00 pm »
I think Trinity going to NY region is very likely because the NY region does not have a legit #1 seed. Cortland state is not a #1 seed, no matter how bad the committee tries to make it look that way. Trinity would be a logical #1 seed in the NY region

Offline Stump

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2009, 09:51:02 pm »
I think Trinity going to NY region is very likely because the NY region does not have a legit #1 seed. Cortland state is not a #1 seed, no matter how bad the committee tries to make it look that way. Trinity would be a logical #1 seed in the NY region

Very true, the more I compare teams and consider the scenarios, the more obvious it does become that at least the top 3 in NE region would be legit #1 seeds in NY.  Gives NE a real chance of 2 teams to Appleton

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2009, 12:05:32 am »

Very true, the more I compare teams and consider the scenarios, the more obvious it does become that at least the top 3 in NE region would be legit #1 seeds in NY.  Gives NE a real chance of 2 teams to Appleton
Part of that is because there are nearly twice as many teams in New England as in the New York Region.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 12:08:09 am by Ralph Turner »

Offline d3baseballnut

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2009, 07:12:13 pm »
Looks like Hopkins might get into the tournament after all with a possible Pool A bid from the Centennial Conference. Franklin and Marshall has to beat Hopkins twice tomorrow.

If they get in the tournament, could the famous trio from 2008 of Emr, Angeloni, and Youchak give Kean and Keystone a run for their money in the Mid-Atlantic???

WHat a great Regional that could be.