Author Topic: Multiple Conference Bids?  (Read 7042 times)

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
Re: Multiple Conference Bids?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 11:29:46 am »
Shenandoah's "in-region" opponents OWP = 332-276-5  (.5415986%)
I did not include the games with SU and it was their opponents "overall" record.
That's not how you calculate OWP. You need every in-region opponents' in-region winning percentages (minus the results against the team for which you're calculating OWP). Average all in-region winning percentages to get OWP; don't use the raw numbers. See Appendix B of the Handbook.

Oshdude is correct your OWPs are wrong, you dont take the total wins/total losses and get a %. You take each individual % and average the %s. Except with each individual % you subtract your wins and losses against that team.

This all makes my head hurt...
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

coachmilburn

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 04:09:24 pm »
I did not include the games with SU and it was their opponents "overall" record.
That's not how you calculate OWP. You need every in-region opponents' in-region winning percentages (minus the results against the team for which you're calculating OWP). Average all in-region winning percentages to get OWP; don't use the raw numbers. See Appendix B of the Handbook.

Oshdude is correct your OWPs are wrong, you dont take the total wins/total losses and get a %. You take each individual % and average the %s. Except with each individual % you subtract your wins and losses against that team.

Yes, I was very much aware and did put in bold print "overall" .  I don't believe I was going to dig down all 3 of CNU, SU and MU's opponents schedule and then determine ALL of their "in-region" games.  Trust me, just looking at their "overall" record was 1000x's easier to subtract out the CNU, SU and MU's games out to figure their overall record.  ;D

BUT that gave us a "ballpark" idea of what is going on.

I did state it was very much "UNOFFICIAL" and more than likely an error here and there.  ;D

Offline BaseballFan

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 05:09:14 pm »

Yes, I was very much aware and did put in bold print "overall" .  I don't believe I was going to dig down all 3 of CNU, SU and MU's opponents schedule and then determine ALL of their "in-region" games.  Trust me, just looking at their "overall" record was 1000x's easier to subtract out the CNU, SU and MU's games out to figure their overall record.  ;D

BUT that gave us a "ballpark" idea of what is going on.

I did state it was very much "UNOFFICIAL" and more than likely an error here and there.  ;D

Ok I gotcha now that you were getting a rough estimate, but remember it wont be the exact same. And I would say that would be a definate error since you did it incorrectly

coachmilburn

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 07:08:37 pm »
As of April 21st, the "in-region" records and records vs. "common opponents" were accurate.

The OWP was not, as I used "overall" records.