Author Topic: 2009 NCAA DIII BASEBALL CHAMPIONSHIP BOOK  (Read 15575 times)

Offline RSSmith

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 NCAA DIII BASEBALL CHAMPIONSHIP BOOK
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 03:27:22 pm »
What is the limit that a team can roster for the Appleton, WI world series

Shenandoah has 48 guys listed on their roster.

17 of them are submarine pitchers.
A walk is never as good as a hit!

Offline CrashDavisD3

• All-American
  • If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score
    • View Profile
    • Crash Davis in Action
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 03:32:10 pm »
Squad Size
No changes may be made in a team roster for any reason. This procedure also will
be followed at the finals, although the same players need not be designated for regional and finals competition.

Each team will be permitted a maximum of 34 people in the dugout, including 24
eligible players in uniform
, eight others in uniform (coaching staff included), and two medical personnel
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 03:32:30 pm »
What is the limit that a team can roster for the Appleton, WI world series

Shenandoah has 48 guys listed on their roster.

17 of them are submarine pitchers.

That WOULD be appropriate considering their relative proximity to the US Naval Academy in Maryland :)
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Offline Just Bill

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 04:52:56 pm »
I think they should do 2 mini four team team tournaments and let the winners face in the championship like division 1.
I am resurrecting this from an old post of mine.  I've always felt this would be the ideal format for the D-III World Series.  It borrows the bracket from the NCAA Division I Women's College World Series and adapts it to our current time and space restraints:

My favorite format is the D-I WOMEN'S College World Series.  It's just like the men's with two four-team double elimination brackets and a best-of-three final, but with one really cool exception.

The teams that lose the 1-0 vs 1-0 games cross over to the other bracket.  This means if you happen to lose to a powerhouse in the "A" bracket, you can cross over, win the "B" bracket and face the powerhouse in the best-of-three final.  It helps reduce the possibility of overloading one bracket.  It also gives the chance to play a wider variety of teams.

I know we won't see this anytime soon in D-III (especially the best-of-three final series) but I can still dream.

You wouldn't need another field and you wouldn't have to extended the tournament by another day.  We could have no more than four games a day, and we could still honor the NCAA's rule about no team playing more than twice in a day.

Friday
Game 1 - Team A1 vs Team A2
Game 2 - Team A3 vs Team A4
Game 3 - Team B1 vs Team B2
Game 4 - Team B3 vs Team B4

Saturday
Game 5 - A Bracket Elimination Game
Game 6 - B Bracket Undefeated Game
Game 7 - A Bracket Undefeated Game
Game 8 - B Bracket Elimination Game

Sunday
Game 9 - A Bracket Crossover Elimination Game
Game 10 - B Bracket Crossover Elimination Game
Game 11 - A Bracket First Championship Game
Game 12 - B Bracket First Championship Game

Monday (if EITHER bracket required a rematch)
Game 13 - A Bracket Second Championship Game (if necessary)
Game 14 - B Bracket Second Championship Game (if necessary)
Game 15 - Championship Final Game #1

Monday (if NEITHER bracket required a rematch)
Game 15 - Championship Final Game #1
Game 16 - Championship Final Game #2

Tuesday
Game 16 - Championship Final Game #2 (unless it was played on Monday)
Game 17 - Championship Final Game #3 (if necessary)

So, it's actually possible to wrap the whole thing up on Monday if things fell right.

2008 Women's College World Series bracket
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 04:58:31 pm by Just Bill »
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Offline mans007

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 12:45:59 am »
The NCAA needs to do something about private schools in athletics.  I may be the first to bring light to this problem, but it is becoming very large.  Public institutions as we all know can only give "need based" financial money to all students because they are using tax payers money.  Private schools can give money to whomever they see fit.  6 out of the 8 teams in the d3 world series are private institutions. So when you talk about d3 athletes being pure student athletes that is not accurate.  For example, a private institution can give a minorty student a full ride just for being a minority. A public school does not have the same luxury. Have you ever heard of the "blonde hair blue eyed scholarship"?  This is a growing problem that needs attention. D3 athletics is becoming a private school division.

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 08:17:25 am »
The NCAA needs to do something about private schools in athletics.  I may be the first to bring light to this problem, but it is becoming very large.  Public institutions as we all know can only give "need based" financial money to all students because they are using tax payers money.  Private schools can give money to whomever they see fit.  6 out of the 8 teams in the d3 world series are private institutions. So when you talk about d3 athletes being pure student athletes that is not accurate.  For example, a private institution can give a minorty student a full ride just for being a minority. A public school does not have the same luxury. Have you ever heard of the "blonde hair blue eyed scholarship"?  This is a growing problem that needs attention. D3 athletics is becoming a private school division.
Moved to Future of Division III

See Post 1579

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=3880.1579