Author Topic: 2009 Bracketology  (Read 12161 times)

Offline RSSmith

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 Bracketology
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 08:02:02 pm »
How is a 6-team bracket setup?   Does #1 and #2 get first round byes? 

From the handbook:

Six-Team
The format for the tournament where six teams participate:
Game 1—Team 1 vs. Team 6
Game 2—Team 2 vs. Team 5
Game 3—Team 3 vs. Team 4
Game 4—Loser Game 1 vs. Loser Game 2
Game 5—Winner Game 1 vs. Loser Game 3
Game 6—Winner Game 2 vs. Winner Game 3
If four teams remain after Game 6, the following procedure will be observed:
Game 7—Winner Game 5 vs. Winner Game 6
Game 8—Winner Game 4 vs. Loser Game 6
Game 9—Loser Game 7 vs. Winner Game 8
Game 10—Winner Game 7 vs. Winner Game 9
Game 11—If necessary, same teams as in Game 10
If five teams remain after Game 6, the following procedure will be observed:
Game 7—Loser Game 5 vs. Loser Game 6
Game 8—Winner Game 4 vs. Winner Game 5
Game 9—Winner Game 6 vs. Winner Game 7
If two teams remain after Game 9, the following procedure will be observed:
Game 10—Winner Game 8 vs. Winner Game 9
If three teams remain after Game 9, the following procedure will be observed:
Game 10—Winner Game 8 vs. Loser Game 9
Game 11—Winner Game 9 vs. Winner Game 10
In all six-team tournaments, Games 1, 2 and 3 will be played on the first day; Games
4, 5 and 6 will be played on the second day; Games 7, 8 and 9 will be played on the
third day, and Games 10 and 11 will be played on the fourth day

I thought there were provisions to allow first round games to be non conference opponents. There are 3 teams listed in the South region from the USA South conference SU, CNU, NCWC. So in this case how would the games be paired.

d3baseballnutt's bracket, while an outstanding piece of craftsmanship, is still speculative.  I, frankly, don't see CNU getting a Pool C bid.
A walk is never as good as a hit!

Offline d3baseballnut

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 08:11:00 pm »
I'm not a fan of the mid-Atlantic regional if that is how it will end up. I know Kean is hosting the regional but how does a team that didn't even win their conference tournament get the number one seed?!  In a regional where there should only be one pool c bid, and it should go to Kean don't get me wrong, he number one seed shouldn't go to that pool c bid. I am just confused by that

I hear that. I really do. But in 2007, Kean lost their Conference Tournament, and then received the #1 seed in the Mid-Atlantic. They went on to win 8 straight games to win it all. So it has been done before, therefore, my decision to place them #1 was based on this precedent.

This being said, does everyone agree that if Keystone sweeps their conf. tourney, they should be the #1 seed with a record of 37-4 over kean at 33-9?

Offline d3baseballnut

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 08:12:36 pm »

From the handbook:

Six-Team
Game 1—Team 1 vs. Team 6
Game 2—Team 2 vs. Team 5
Game 3—Team 3 vs. Team 4
In all six-team tournaments, Games 1, 2 and 3 will be played on the first day; Games
4, 5 and 6 will be played on the second day; Games 7, 8 and 9 will be played on the

I thought there were provisions to allow first round games to be non conference opponents. There are 3 teams listed in the South region from the USA South conference SU, CNU, NCWC. So in this case how would the games be paired.

d3baseballnutt's bracket, while an outstanding piece of craftsmanship, is still speculative.  I, frankly, don't see CNU getting a Pool C bid.

RSSmith, I really want this to be a community effort where we put it together, well, together. If you have some things that you think are iffy, I will make changes. If we have multiple heads together on this, we can get something pretty close by selection day.

Offline chakote

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 08:16:02 pm »
Just a note from the WEST-----------

It may work to move GF from the 4 slot (they would play Pac LU) -- but maybe this could be considered the playoff game they have not had yet !!!!!!!!!!!!

The south got 3 pool C teams, SCIAC Pool C Cal Lutheran ???? Maybe that final slot.

OK coach, done again.

Okay Mike there you go again with that Cal Lu thing, we are going to have to put you in a 12 step program or something to get you to quit with that Cal Lu thing. The west is full and if there were any openings we would have to give it to Redlands or something. okay coach now go take some bp and get it out of your system,,,,,,,, ;D Just Kidding I agree Cal Lu deserves a bone with a record like that.

I was looking at the 30 years of regionals compared to world series team records and every team that ended up in the WS had at least 30 wins for the season. The last team that had less was in 1977 and 1978 and I believe both of them where Glassboro state which is now known as Rowan
Success is not fatal; Failure is not final; but the courage to continue is what counts!!!
(Churchill)

Offline d3baseballnut

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 08:19:59 pm »
Just a note from the WEST-----------

It may work to move GF from the 4 slot (they would play Pac LU) -- but maybe this could be considered the playoff game they have not had yet !!!!!!!!!!!!

The south got 3 pool C teams, SCIAC Pool C Cal Lutheran ???? Maybe that final slot.

OK coach, done again.

Okay Mike there you go again with that Cal Lu thing, we are going to have to put you in a 12 step program or something to get you to quit with that Cal Lu thing. The west is full and if there were any openings we would have to give it to Redlands or something. okay coach now go take some bp and get it out of your system,,,,,,,, ;D Just Kidding I agree Cal Lu deserves a bone with a record like that.

I was looking at the 30 years of regionals compared to world series team records and every team that ended up in the WS had at least 30 wins for the season. The last team that had less was in 1977 and 1978 and I believe both of them where Glassboro state which is now known as Rowan

We can move Hendrix to the Central and put Cal Lutheran in the West. However, if there are any upsets of teams like Carthage or Heidelberg, we may need to scratch st olaf and add such teams in, since we will be out of Pool C bids. We also may need to scratch an IIAC #2 if the WIAC is to get a second team in.

Offline RSSmith

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 09:52:11 pm »

From the handbook:

Six-Team
Game 1—Team 1 vs. Team 6
Game 2—Team 2 vs. Team 5
Game 3—Team 3 vs. Team 4

RSSmith, I really want this to be a community effort where we put it together, well, together. If you have some things that you think are iffy, I will make changes. If we have multiple heads together on this, we can get something pretty close by selection day.

I was just responding to ilikebaseball's hypothetical.  I'm with you on almost all of your picks.  I'm guessing it's impossible to craft something with which every poster here will agree.  Please don't start tweaking on my guesses--I have a very long track record of being wrong.  I caught a glimpse of you up at Homewood the other day but didn't get a chance to say, "Hi."
A walk is never as good as a hit!

Offline JohnnyU

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 10:07:03 pm »
I don't really know much of anything outside the Central but right now you have the seedings as,

Central

1. Carthage (Pool A-CCIW)
2. Luther (Pool A-IIAC)
3. Mississippi College (Pool C-ASC)
4. Webster (Pool A-SLIAC)
5. IIAC #2, WIAC #2, or OAC #2 ??
6. Wash. St. Louis (Pool B)

Does it change anything that Wash. St. Louis has beaten Webster 3 times? WashU is 24-8 (.750) in the region. Webster is 26-9 (.743). OWP likely favors WashU as well. I'll take your word that they'll send Mississippi College to Augustana and my prediction would be...

1. Carthage
2. Luther
3. Mississippi College
4. WashU
5. Webster
6. Some Pool C

Offline d3baseballnut

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 10:16:22 pm »

From the handbook:

Six-Team
Game 1—Team 1 vs. Team 6
Game 2—Team 2 vs. Team 5
Game 3—Team 3 vs. Team 4

I was just responding to ilikebaseball's hypothetical.  I'm with you on almost all of your picks.  I'm guessing it's impossible to craft something with which every poster here will agree.  Please don't start tweaking on my guesses--I have a very long track record of being wrong.  I caught a glimpse of you up at Homewood the other day but didn't get a chance to say, "Hi."

Yea, no problem. Good to hear we won the tournament, even if it was melodramatic. I really think they can make some noise........again :-)

Offline d3spectator

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 11:04:13 am »
I guess I'll take a shot at the New England Regional set-up and like I said before in a different post I'm relatively new in D3 baseball so anybody who takes this post seriously should look themselves in the mirror  ;)

After seeing the new New England Coach's poll that came out and how people are ranked, the important ones for the at larges (Wheaton, Curry, WPI), it seems the New England regional is going to shape up something like this:

New England

1. USM (pool-A)
2. Trinity (Conn.) (pool-A)
3. ECONN (pool-C)
4. Suffolk (pool-A)
5. Wheaton (pool-C)
6. WNEC (pool-A)
7. Babson (pool-A)
8. Husson (pool-A)

And ship Curry (pool-C) to NY?

Or if Trinity (Conn.) gets shipped as many are saying will happen then:

1. USM (pool-A)
2. ECONN (pool-C)
3. Suffolk (pool-A)
4. Wheaton (pool-C)
5. Curry (pool-C)
6. WNEC (pool-A)
7. Babson (pool-A)
8. Husson (pool-A)

And these are going off the new rankings that just came out for New England, personally I believe New England will shape up like this:

1. USM (pool-A)
3. ECONN (pool-C)
4. Suffolk (pool-A)
5. Curry (pool-C)
6. WNEC (pool-A)
7. Babson (pool-A)
8. Husson (pool-A)

*With Wheaton getting shipped to NY to allow for two New England teams to represent themselves in the World Series. 

Hard luck loser: WPI - had a great year with beating the likes of Wheaton and Trinity (Conn.) just not enough strength of schedule to hang in New England this year.

Just my thoughts and as always criticism is welcome, don't be to harsh though, I'm a freshman  :) Have a good day fellas.

Spec

Offline TheGNAC

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 11:13:33 am »
I guess I'll take a shot at the New England Regional set-up and like I said before in a different post I'm relatively new in D3 baseball so anybody who takes this post seriously should look themselves in the mirror  ;)

After seeing the new New England Coach's poll that came out and how people are ranked, the important ones for the at larges (Wheaton, Curry, WPI), it seems the New England regional is going to shape up something like this:

New England

1. USM (pool-A)
3. ECONN (pool-C)
4. Suffolk (pool-A)
5. Wheaton (pool-C)
6. WNEC (pool-A)
7. Babson (pool-A)
8. Husson (pool-A)

And ship Curry (pool-C) to NY?

Or if Trinity (Conn.) gets shipped as many are saying will happen then:

1. USM (pool-A)
2. ECONN (pool-C)
3. Suffolk (pool-A)
4. Wheaton (pool-C)
5. Curry (pool-C)
6. WNEC (pool-A)
7. Babson (pool-A)
8. Husson (pool-A)

And these are going off the new rankings that just came out for New England, personally I believe New England will shape up like this:

1. USM (pool-A)
3. ECONN (pool-C)
4. Suffolk (pool-A)
5. Curry (pool-C)
6. WNEC (pool-A)
7. Babson (pool-A)
8. Husson (pool-A)

*With Wheaton getting shipped to NY to allow for two New England teams to represent themselves in the World Series. 

Hard luck loser: WPI - had a great year with beating the likes of Wheaton and Trinity (Conn.) just not enough strength of schedule to hang in New England this year.

Just my thoughts and as always criticism is welcome, don't be to harsh though, I'm a freshman  :) Have a good day fellas.

Spec

Hi Spec,

nice work. I'm going to have to say though that the committee should split up USM/ECSU/Trinity, as those 3 teams are  currently ranked 1st, 3rd, and 6th, respectively, in this week's Top 25. Meanwhile, #23 Cortland State is currently the #1 seed in the New York regional, and #13 Kean is the #1 seed in the Mid-Atlantic regional. It's a disservice to the New England region and an insult to the entire system to place 3 of the best teams in the country in one regional, when it is well within the rules to ship one or more of those teams to New York or the Mid-Atlantic.

I feel the committee needs to make Trinity, CT the #1 seed in New York, and if that does happen, New England looks like this:

1. USM
2. ECSU
3. Suffolk
4. WNEC
5. Curry
6. Westfield State
7. Babson
8. Husson

--------

With Wheaton either staying home or being shipped out, as well.

Offline John McGraw

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 11:57:28 am »
The D3baseball.com Top 25 poll has no bearing on what teams are placed where in the NCAA playoffs.

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
  • Managing Editor, D3baseball.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 12:23:22 pm »
I don't really know much of anything outside the Central but right now you have the seedings as,

Central

1. Carthage (Pool A-CCIW)
2. Luther (Pool A-IIAC)
3. Mississippi College (Pool C-ASC)
4. Webster (Pool A-SLIAC)
5. IIAC #2, WIAC #2, or OAC #2 ??
6. Wash. St. Louis (Pool B)

Does it change anything that Wash. St. Louis has beaten Webster 3 times? WashU is 24-8 (.750) in the region. Webster is 26-9 (.743). OWP likely favors WashU as well. I'll take your word that they'll send Mississippi College to Augustana and my prediction would be...

1. Carthage
2. Luther
3. Mississippi College
4. WashU
5. Webster
6. Some Pool C

I dont see Miss College getting a pool C bid.  They were not in the regional rankings and are probably behind Cal lUtheran and Linfield what are also not ranked.

Offline d3spectator

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 12:37:52 pm »
GNAC,

That makes sense and I agree with you 100% that having those caliber like teams all battle it out would make for a GREAT exciting regional, it would be problematic if they don't ship one of those three out.  You seem to know New England well in depth and I was wondering if the NCAA would actually consider shipping a team to New York AND to another regional as well to have the chance of having three New England teams represent themselves in Wisconsin?  Or would that just be an insult to other regions to have that type of discrepancy in Wisconsin? (assuming they all win).  Thanks again.

Spec

Offline TheGNAC

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 01:41:12 pm »
The D3baseball.com Top 25 poll has no bearing on what teams are placed where in the NCAA playoffs.

I'm fully aware that an arbitrary internet web site's Top 25 poll isn't a factor in the D3 selection committee's decision making process. If it was, Texas Tyler would have been in Wisconsin last year.

My point is that USM, Trinity and ECSU are 3 of the top 10 teams in the country no matter how you slice it, and having 3 potential National Champs in one regional while a lesser school like Cortland State gets a free ride to Wisconsin is unfair and a flaw in the system. If you aren't willing to ship schools elsewhere why have the option available in the first place?

Offline d3baseballnut

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 01:59:29 pm »

I'm fully aware that an arbitrary internet web site's Top 25 poll isn't a factor in the D3 selection committee's decision making process. If it was, Texas Tyler would have been in Wisconsin last year.

My point is that USM, Trinity and ECSU are 3 of the top 10 teams in the country no matter how you slice it, and having 3 potential National Champs in one regional while a lesser school like Cortland State gets a free ride to Wisconsin is unfair and a flaw in the system. If you aren't willing to ship schools elsewhere why have the option available in the first place?

I agree. Shipping Trinity makes the most sense bc the NY region does not have a legit #1 seed.........no,  Cortland St. is not a #1, selection committee. The reason I think they ship them instead of ECSU is that ECSU is not a #1 seed i dont think, but USM has earned the right to stay home by their incredible season. Shipping Trinity makes the most sense all around.