Author Topic: 2009 Bracketology  (Read 12962 times)

Offline Stump

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 Bracketology
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009, 02:09:09 pm »
TheGNAC:
  I'm sure one team(most likely Trinity) gets shipped to NY and is #1 seed. There is plenty of history of NE teams going to NY.  I don't think there is any history of shipping to another region(Mid-Atlantic in this case).  Do you think there is a chance of a NE team going to NJ?
  Does anyone know if teams from one region have ever been shipped to 2 regions outside their own?  I realize travel costs associated with it would probably rule it out in most cases.  Just wondering if there is any precedent.

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2009, 02:38:23 pm »
Just remember this "oldie" when trying to build your brackets...

500 miles

Practically, when you are trying to "balance" the brackets, the committee seems to disperse the extra good teams away from New England and away from New Jersey.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 02:50:05 pm by Ralph Turner »

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2009, 03:50:31 pm »
The D3baseball.com Top 25 poll has no bearing on what teams are placed where in the NCAA playoffs.

I'm fully aware that an arbitrary internet web site's Top 25 poll isn't a factor in the D3 selection committee's decision making process. If it was, Texas Tyler would have been in Wisconsin last year.

My point is that USM, Trinity and ECSU are 3 of the top 10 teams in the country no matter how you slice it, and having 3 potential National Champs in one regional while a lesser school like Cortland State gets a free ride to Wisconsin is unfair and a flaw in the system. If you aren't willing to ship schools elsewhere why have the option available in the first place?

As long as the schools are within 500 miles of the proposed regional (the NCAA cutoff point for flying rather than driving), the committee is fairly free about moving teams.  In basketball, that often still doesn't help much - we had one sectional with 7 of the top 8 teams in the d3hoops.com poll! :o

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 11:18:54 am »
Oddly, Carthage is actually closer to the Midwest regional in Oshkosh than the Central regional in Moline, IL. What are the chances that CArthage gets shipped to the Midwest again if they stumble this weekend? If that happens, I can see Millsaps being sent to the Central as a #1 seed.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Offline d3baseballnut

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 12:21:30 pm »
Oddly, Carthage is actually closer to the Midwest regional in Oshkosh than the Central regional in Moline, IL. What are the chances that CArthage gets shipped to the Midwest again if they stumble this weekend? If that happens, I can see Millsaps being sent to the Central as a #1 seed.

That is a very interesting scenario. I really think Carthage has locked in a number 1 seed. But if they lose this weekend, you never know.

If this happens, this would affect the South and Mid Atlantic regions. This could result in a Mid Atlantic team like Hopkins getting shipped to the south to fill Millsaps' vacated spot....but as a lower seed.

Let's see what happens.

Offline BaseballFan

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 09:31:58 pm »

Hopefully not since they kind of gave the midwest region and Carthage a raw deal last year. Carthage went to a more difficult region IMO and Midwest had a much better team (Carthage Central#2) being shipped in than being shipped out (Stevens Point Midwest #5).

Offline Just Bill

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 10:59:16 am »

Generally, NCAA championship committees place all travel distances in one of two categories only: Less than 500 miles and More than 500 miles.  Meaning, they usually don't care if a school is 200 miles from Site A and 400 miles from Site B. To them, that's the same thing because a bus is still a bus.

They DO care of course, if a school is 400 miles from Site A and 600 miles from Site B, since that's the difference between a bus and a plane.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Offline Sprt16

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2009, 12:22:05 am »
is there going to be a 2009 Baseball Selection Show this upcoming sunday?! i know they have done it for other sports on some websites but i wasnt sure if they do it for D3 baseball. let me know!

Offline d3baseballnut

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2009, 09:39:16 pm »
THe midwest and mieast are goin to be loaded.....

Based on certain sources, I believe Hopkins might get sent to the south regional. If this is the case, TCNJ would stay in the Mid-Atlantic and Hopkins would go to the south. They would just switch
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 07:49:07 pm by d3baseballnut »