Poll

Is kean going to win the D3 world series?

Yes
1 (12.5%)
No
7 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: 2009 NCAA Division III Baseball Playoffs  (Read 61207 times)

Offline EasternCtFan

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
Re: BB: 2009 NCAA championships round
« Reply #495 on: May 30, 2009, 02:00:44 pm »
Wow some very interesting information Alum, the sight of seeing UNC at Eastern must have been something. Any idea how they were able to play those schools or even have a school like UNC to go north like that. Please share some more history of Eastern baseball if you have any.

Offline d3baseballnut

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 31, 2009, 01:36:47 am »
Wow-

I am watching the Texas/BC regional game on ncaa.com. The game is in the 24th inning tied at 2.....longest game in ncaa baseball history.

The 2nd pitcher for Texas through 13 innings (From the 7th to the 20th) before he GAVE UP A HIT!!!!!!   

He ended up throwing 13.2 inning giving up 2 hits, o runs....game is still going on.

I think he still get a no-hitter for that. If you throw 9 innings of no hit ball, I believe it counts as a no hitter.

This is a rule growing out of a MLB game in the 1950's(?) when Harvey Haddux threw 12 innings of PERFECT baseball before losing in the 12th, 1-0....

Offline Just Bill

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 31, 2009, 05:03:58 pm »
I think he still get a no-hitter for that. If you throw 9 innings of no hit ball, I believe it counts as a no hitter.

This is a rule growing out of a MLB game in the 1950's(?) when Harvey Haddux threw 12 innings of PERFECT baseball before losing in the 12th, 1-0....

Nope.  Not a no hitter.  Harvey Haddux's game isn't a no-hitter either.  To be a no-hitter the opposing team must not have gotten a hit for the duration of the game.

Here it is from the MLB rule book which the NCAA defaults to if their own rules don't cover it:

An official no-hit game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) allows no hits during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a no-hit game, a batter may reach base via a walk, an error, a hit by pitch, a passed ball or wild pitch on strike three, or catcher's interference.

The key phrase here is "entire course of the game".  Even though he threw over 12 innings of no-hit ball, that wasn't the entire course of the game.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 05:23:22 pm by Just Bill »
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #498 on: May 31, 2009, 06:38:07 pm »
It used to be that MLB recognized those games. I think it's a shame that they no longer do.

For example, when I was working at Baseball Weekly, we continued to recognize them, even though MLB had backtracked on its own record book.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline pg04

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 31, 2009, 07:54:32 pm »
I find it just illogical not to include these on record.

Isn't 10, 11, or 12 innings of no-hit ball better than your customary 9 innings?  I would agree it's a shame this isn't recognized! 

Offline Just Bill

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 31, 2009, 08:31:53 pm »
I find it just illogical not to include these on record.

Isn't 10, 11, or 12 innings of no-hit ball better than your customary 9 innings?  I would agree it's a shame this isn't recognized! 

Of course its better, but "better than a no-hitter" still doesn't make it a no-hitter.

I agree that performances like that should be recognized in the record book, but I also agree with MLB that they are not "no-hitters".  A no-hitter describes a particular set of circumstances in a game, and if the other team gets a hit, whenever it occurs, it's not a no-hitter.  How could it be logical to see a team finish a game with one or two hits and have it be deemed a no-hitter?

That doesn't preclude a pitcher from having a performance even better than a no-hitter, and if he does he should be honored in the record book.  Maybe they need a section titled "Outstanding hitless pitching performances"

It's kind of like a guy who gets a Home Run, Triple and 2 Doubles in the same game?  Did he hit for the Cycle?  It's better than a Cycle, right?  Yes it is, but it's still not a Cycle.

The good part about MLB's revisionist history was it took away a whole bunch of 6 and 7 inning rain-shortened hitless games.  I never thought those should have been counted as no-hitters.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 12:49:54 pm by Just Bill »

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Offline d3baseballnut

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 31, 2009, 09:40:49 pm »
Either way....this has to be one of the greatest pitching performances in NCAA baseball history.

13 innings of no hit relief by one guy.....that is staggering,.

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
  • Managing Editor, D3baseball.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 04, 2009, 10:55:24 am »
For those that made the 54-team NCAA playoffs, here's the composite NCAA tournament stats for all teams just posted by NCAA.org, with links to each team:

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/baseball_champs_records/2009/D3/HTML/confstat.htm

Offline Just Bill

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 08, 2009, 09:53:19 am »
Speaking of no-hitters that aren't no-hitters...

Four Arizona Diamondback relievers held the San Diego Padres hitless for 9 extra innings in their 9-6, 18-inning victory.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playbyplay?gameId=290607125

OshDude

« Reply #504 on: June 19, 2009, 09:47:55 am »
Off topic, but for anyone who stayed at the Paper Valley Hotel in Appleton, the host locale for all CWS teams and many fans, recently won an NFL travel directors' award the Most Valuable Property, which was awarded for just the second time. Just thought I'd pass it along since many of you have stayed there.

The story quotes someone who says Lombardi Steakhouse is as good as Ruth's Chris? Come on now ... lol. It went on to say it's Jerry's Jones' and Arthur Black's two dudes who come across as having eaten a steak or two favorite restaurant, so maybe I don't know what we have here in our part of the flyover states.

Anyway, here's the story in the local paper. The hyperlink will die in about five days (Gannett likes to make money ... or at least attempt to make money).